Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
davieG

Gray willing to play waiting game to become regular Leicester City starter

Me and my brother are in constant disagreement about Gray. My brother thinks he's brilliant and can't believe he doesn't start every week. I think he's massively talented but makes a lot of bad decisions, hence the management are right to hold him back until he starts being less wasteful and shows a bit more awareness of his team-mates. He argues that a young lad learns best by playing. I'm guessing this is the debate for most fans - what to do with a hugely talented but often wasteful young player.

37 minutes ago, Callabinho said:

Just going to chuck it out there, my opinion which in the grand scheme of things means nothing but....I don't rate Gray, I certainly don't think he is capable of filling Mahrez's shoes..mainly due to his decision making and reading of the game, he hasn't got it...if you're not a thinker then you've got to be bloody good at seizing the moment to be effective. 

He really doesnt read the game well at all, granted he's better than Schlupp but not by much, he will never produce on a consistent level because he hasn't got the brain for it...I'd say Zaha is much better and look at how inconsistent he is, similar to Bolasie. Here's hoping he proves me wrong but I can't see it, there's been too many Gray type players pop up and eventually dwindle away because as soon as they're figured out they struggle.

Agreed.  

50 minutes ago, Paddy. said:

Me and my brother are in constant disagreement about Gray. My brother thinks he's brilliant and can't believe he doesn't start every week. I think he's massively talented but makes a lot of bad decisions, hence the management are right to hold him back until he starts being less wasteful and shows a bit more awareness of his team-mates. He argues that a young lad learns best by playing. I'm guessing this is the debate for most fans - what to do with a hugely talented but often wasteful young player.

I'm with you that he makes bad decisions, also with your brother that he should be played to iron out his mistakes.

The only way to learn is through experience.

8 hours ago, ZeGuy said:

I agree with you on Mahrez but honestly think you're being a bit harsh on Gray. While I don't see him as playmaker (he'll probably never be one), he still can wreck havoc on the wing. End product and attitude are things that can be corrected and he'll be a starter next season, which means more game time. 

What worries me is the CAM position. We absolutely need a creative CAM now that Mahrez is gone.

A year ago I'd have agree but since then I've seen no noticeable improvement in any aspect of his game. Some might say he's not been used enough but Chilwell's had almost similarly sparse first team opportunities but each time he returns I feel he's that bit stronger, sharper and more at ease with the job.

He's still a bit vulnerable but I expect that. Experience doesn't come in an instant and there aspects to the acquiring of the experience necessary to command respect but he looks just about there now - a player who can fit fairly seamlessly into two positions and stay involved.

This last point is important. When Chilwell makes a mistake he doesn't disappear but puts it behind him, stays focused and continues making a contribution. 

Gray is still like a firework. All energy and glorious colours for a while but then he's just a flickering flame that stands all but forgotten while the action continues somewhere else.

I don't expect 90 minute wingers in today's game - it's too intense with the defensive demands that so easily trip the power switch of what is an essentially explosive position and make it offensively ineffective. Albrighton's been an exception. Quite where he gets the energy to last an entire 90 minutes at pace I don't know, but I sure envy him.

If Gray could get his head up early to read the game and involve himself for twice as long as he does now, I'd think again about his prospects but, right now, I've seen nothing to make me optimistic. A few tricks don't impress me and never have. It's outcomes that matter.                 

Archived