Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
davieG

Gray willing to play waiting game to become regular Leicester City starter

1 hour ago, vanity said:

Gray, looks like your time is now. Let's see what you can do. 

We all said that before AFCON... in the end I don't think he even played much while Riyad was away?

All depends on if Shakey rates Gray... he certainly seems to have had even less playing time under Shakey than under Ranieri

Just now, aaron0072002uk said:

Wonder what this means?

Diplomatically, I hope he's talking about the Toulon Tournament, then just getting his head down and smashing preseason. I like Gray, I'm convinced over time he could be a star. Needs game time, to keep his head down and good coaching.

1 hour ago, filbertway said:

Is he in the u21's squad for the Euro's?

yeah hes in the prelim/squad for it and probably will be in the main squad for it too, thats what the tweet is more than likely about tbh since the tournament starts on the 16th June

2 minutes ago, FrankieADZ said:

yeah hes in the prelim/squad for it and probably will be in the main squad for it too, thats what the tweet is more than likely about tbh since the tournament starts on the 16th June

Ahh nice, look forward to him tearing it up again for England. Good to see him get starts and play well for someone at least.

12 minutes ago, justfoxes said:

This lad can easily step in for Riyad he has the potential to be great for our club !!

I'm sorry but there is no way Gray is easily stepping into replace Riyad. As much as I like the kid, he's still very inconsistent, plus those boots are a massive, massive gap to fill that I'm very worried we'll ever manage to replace.

46 minutes ago, Blodge said:

I'm sorry but there is no way Gray is easily stepping into replace Riyad. As much as I like the kid, he's still very inconsistent, plus those boots are a massive, massive gap to fill that I'm very worried we'll ever manage to replace.

Nobody is going to be the Mahrez of 2015/16. But the boots Mahrez wore in 16/17 are pretty easy to fill.

We need a good winger, comparing them to Mahrez is pointless.

4 hours ago, Blodge said:

Agree but with the right arm around his shoulder and help this lad could grow into an amazing player !!

We ain't going to replace Mahrez, like no one will be able to replace Kante or Vardy. Some players are unique and can't be replaced. 

We need to focus on bringing through and building a team around some of the best young talent I have ever seen accumulated at LCFC and that's includes Gray. 

The guy has the ingredients, all about attitude   now, if he thinks he has already made it then we have another David Bentley keep his feet on the ground and do us the honour of 'playing the waiting game' then who knows.

He looks good, let's not kid ourselves that he has arrived. He is still raw and not 1st team broken so nobody knows what we really have, other than talent.

Gray isn't really a step up replacement for Mahrez, if he was he would have been used in that role a lot more often and could then have displaced Mahrez who at times this last season was woeful. He maybe even could benefit from a season out on loan. Mahrez is the only playmaker in the team so a playmaker would be needed otherwise Vardy may as well take a deckchair onto the pitch for all he is ever going to see of the ball.

He will most likely be Mahrez's replacement whether he's good enough or not.

Imo the only way Gray will fulfill his potential here is by playing in a different formation. I can see his poor defensive contribution, lack of positional awareness & general inconsistency being exposed in the 4-4-1-1. I think he's suited to a 3-4-3 or 3-4-1-2.

On 5/31/2017 at 12:38, justfoxes said:

This lad can easily step in for Riyad he has the potential to be great for our club !!

Miles away - you must have missed 15/16 as not many other players in the Prem could have delivered what Riyad delivered let alone Gray!

The criticism last season is being over stated on here because he has not been as effective and now had a transfer request submitted. If you watched him consistently he was bloody trying hard at times too hard but also the whole team was not performing and he was targeted massively with at times 2 or 3 marking or covering his side of the pitch - the rest of our team were no threat for most of the season so it is easy to blame Riyad.

Gray is nothing other than a young potential player like many other U21 players in the England squad and assuming he will easily fill RM's boots is just down right stupid - we will go down if we simply think we can fill players leaving as easily as putting good prospects in!

On 2017-5-31 at 12:51, Blodge said:

The reason Gray has limitations is because he hasn't played often enough to improve.

Worse. He's been stuck behind mahrez who seems to play all the time despite being largely shìt.

We're going to lose Riyad whether we like it or not, he was amazing in the title winning year and under par 16/17!

But I still think given game time aNd an arm around his shoulder about team work et Gray can be a decent shout for Riyads position I didn't mean Gray was as good as Riyad but he could do a job for us in the Mahrez position the lad just needs to know when enough is enough when to shoot and when to pass !

20 hours ago, Old Fox said:

Miles away - you must have missed 15/16 as not many other players in the Prem could have delivered what Riyad delivered let alone Gray!

The criticism last season is being over stated on here because he has not been as effective and now had a transfer request submitted. If you watched him consistently he was bloody trying hard at times too hard but also the whole team was not performing and he was targeted massively with at times 2 or 3 marking or covering his side of the pitch - the rest of our team were no threat for most of the season so it is easy to blame Riyad.

Gray is nothing other than a young potential player like many other U21 players in the England squad and assuming he will easily fill RM's boots is just down right stupid - we will go down if we simply think we can fill players leaving as easily as putting good prospects in!

We're going to lose Riyad whether we like it or not, he was amazing in the title winning year and under par 16/17 and in no way am I blaming him for that !

But I still think given game time and an arm around his shoulder about team work  Gray can be a decent shout for Riyads position not as a like for like replacement I didn't mean Gray was as good as Riyad but he could do a job for us in the Mahrez position the lad just needs to know when enough is enough when to shoot and when to pass !

1 minute ago, justfoxes said:

We're going to lose Riyad whether we like it or not, he was amazing in the title winning year and under par 16/17!

But I still think given game time aNd an arm around his shoulder about team work et Gray can be a decent shout for Riyads position I didn't mean Gray was as good as Riyad but he could do a job for us in the Mahrez position the lad just needs to know when enough is enough when to shoot and when to pass !

We're playing Premiership football not Viccy Park stuff. If we're going to replace Mahrez it needs to be with a genuinely dangerous player. Mahrez, even in a bad season, gets  goals and assists. Gray just seems largely detached from it all and while he, and people on here, might blame all and sundry, Gray needs to look to himself first.     .  

Just going to chuck it out there, my opinion which in the grand scheme of things means nothing but....I don't rate Gray, I certainly don't think he is capable of filling Mahrez's shoes..mainly due to his decision making and reading of the game, he hasn't got it...if you're not a thinker then you've got to be bloody good at seizing the moment to be effective. 

He really doesnt read the game well at all, granted he's better than Schlupp but not by much, he will never produce on a consistent level because he hasn't got the brain for it...I'd say Zaha is much better and look at how inconsistent he is, similar to Bolasie. Here's hoping he proves me wrong but I can't see it, there's been too many Gray type players pop up and eventually dwindle away because as soon as they're figured out they struggle.

9 minutes ago, Thracian said:

We're playing Premiership football not Viccy Park stuff. If we're going to replace Mahrez it needs to be with a genuinely dangerous player. Mahrez, even in a bad season, gets  goals and assists. Gray just seems largely detached from it all and while he, and people on here, might blame all and sundry, Gray needs to look to himself first.     .  

I agree with you on Mahrez but honestly think you're being a bit harsh on Gray. While I don't see him as playmaker (he'll probably never be one), he still can wreck havoc on the wing. End product and attitude are things that can be corrected and he'll be a starter next season, which means more game time. 

What worries me is the CAM position. We absolutely need a creative CAM now that Mahrez is gone.

8 minutes ago, Thracian said:

Thrac 100% agree - I think some fans underestimate the prem. We were a few points from being in a relegation scrap and just giving players time to prove their worth or do a job is a recipe for relegation.

I look at our squad without Mahrez and possibly Schmeichel and we are relegation candidates without some real quality signings. We need attacking threats and when Riyad goes we need to improve a number of positions to be competitive - both wings, No.10, centre midfield, right back, centre half IF we want to move forward with a challenging squad imo.

This preseason we need to sign players who can improve the starting 11 and we won't get all of those I listed but we have to strive to make the 11 better and we could lose 2 of our best players - personally I would be worried if we do not get real quality starters in!!

Archived