Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
davieG

Gary Lineker's 'unusual day' after Walkers Twitter promotion goes spectacularly wrong

image: http://www.leicestermercury.co.uk/images/localworld/ugc-images/276308/Article/images/30354774/16018314-large.jpg

One prankster sent in a photograph of Rolf Harris.

Comments (2)

Gary Lineker has tweeted a cryptic acknowledgement that an online Walkers Crisps marketing campaign gone disastrously wrong after it was hijacked by pranksters.

The Twitter campaign, which appeared on the official Walkers Twitter account, invited people to send in photographs of themselves as part of a promotion for the Champions' League football tournament.

Their faces then appeared in a photo frame in Lineker's hands and he remarks to the camera: "Nice selfie."

The photo then appears superimposed onto the head of a football fan taking part in a Mexican wave at the national stadium of Wales.

However, a number of pranksters began sending in the faces of notorious criminals such as Fred West, Jimmy Savile and Harold Shipman.

gary1

gary2.jpg

Because the system was automated, one trickster was able to submit a photograph of multiple killer Fred West.

Because the system was automated, those faces appeared too.

The Leicester City later tweeted: "Had an unusual day in some very strange company. I'm sure we'll wave goodbye to them all by tomorrow."

A Walkers spokeswoman said: "We recognise people were offended by irresponsible and offensive posts by individuals, and we apologise.

"We are equally upset and have shut down all activity."

Read more at http://www.leicestermercury.co.uk/gary-lineker-s-unusual-day-after-walkers-crisps-twitter-promotion-goes-spectacularly-wrong/story-30354774-detail/story.html#zr5ZZGY0EmRiixrf.99

Is there really no such thing as bad publicity?

The British public are a bunch of prannies, but I love them for it. As such, I approve and will buy more Walkers crisps.

5 minutes ago, Vacamion said:

The British public are a bunch of prannies, but I love them for it. As such, I approve and will buy more Walkers crisps.

Like they say, There's no such thing as bad publicity.

14 minutes ago, Vacamion said:

The British instinct to humorously and anarchically undermine anyone trying to sell us something is one of our best qualities as a nation.

It gets applied to everyone from commercial companies to politicians and celebrities. Such healthy scepticism is a good thing - and highly amusing!

Archived