Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
DJ Barry Hammond

Politics Thread (encompassing Brexit) - 21 June 2017 onwards

3 minutes ago, Webbo said:

Well obviously I believe that completely.

Which bit? Which bit are you joking about? The health secretary made claims that a mere actor proved to be false. I'd have thought you'd have an opinion of some sort.

Just now, toddybad said:

Which bit? Which bit are you joking about? The health secretary made claims that a mere actor proved to be false. I'd have thought you'd have an opinion of some sort.

Actually I get all my opinions from Russian troll factories.

• Haha 1

17 hours ago, Rogstanley said:

Construction is slumping as the Tories promised ‘infrastructure plan’ grinds to an inglorious halt and their house building targets continue to be the most reliably missed targets of all time, so we do have plenty of architects and designers not working at full capacity. Toddy is obviously right to say investing in a school building programme would provide various jobs as well as the school at the end of it. 

You tried to get any building work done? We are struggling like mad for skilled tradesman. The going rate is about £250.00 a day for sparkies, plumbers etc...The construction trade is booming, whether we are training enough people to carry on is very debatable mind you.

3 minutes ago, Webbo said:

Actually I get all my opinions from Russian troll factories.

You've stopped answering any questions Webs. Kinda difficult to have a discussion where nobody can ask you anything any more.

3 minutes ago, Claridge said:

You tried to get any building work done? We are struggling like mad for skilled tradesman. The going rate is about £250.00 a day for sparkies, plumbers etc...The construction trade is booming, whether we are training enough people to carry on is very debatable mind you.

Training is obviously one answer bit what else has led to the sudden struggle to recruit?

1 minute ago, toddybad said:

You've stopped answering any questions Webs. Kinda difficult to have a discussion where nobody can ask you anything any more.

What's the point? You tell me what I think and where I get my ideas from, doesn't look like you need my input at all.

11 minutes ago, Webbo said:

Yeah sure mate.

It’s like, once you’ve made your mind up on something that’s it, forever, there’s literally no amount or quality of evidence that will ever get you to even consider reconsidering.

So you’ve got me tagged as a guardian reader even though I’ve posted no links to the guardian and even though most of my views aren’t even particularly guardian-esque, and there’s now literally nothing I or anyone else can do or say to convince you otherwise. 

And that’s pretty much how the right wing comes across on here in general. It’s like you have a rule where, once formed, a view or opinion must never be reconsidered, all opinions against are wrong, all evidence against is fake. 

Surely you can see that sometimes you will actually be wrong about things? And by persisting with views that are demonstrably untrue you undermine everything else you have to say?

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Claridge said:

Enjoy it while it lasts because the pipeline is drying up. Just look at the stats.

Just now, Rogstanley said:

It’s like, once you’ve made your mind up on something that’s it, forever, there’s literally no amount or quality of evidence that will ever get you to even consider reconsidering.

So you’ve got me tagged as a guardian reader even though I’ve posted no links to the guardian and even though most of my views aren’t even particularly guardian-esque, and there’s now literally nothing I or anyone else can do or say to convince you otherwise. 

And that’s pretty much how the right wing comes across on here in general. It’s like you have a rule where, once formed, a view or opinion must never be reconsidered, all opinions against are wrong, all evidence against is fake. 

Surely you can see that sometimes you will actually be wrong about things? And by persisting with views that are demonstrably untrue you undermine everything else you have to say?

Er, you were the one who told me I get all my opinions from the Daily Mail, because it's impossible that anyone could think you were wrong about anything if they hadn't been brainwashed by the rightwing press.So typical of the left self righteous and conceited despite any evidence they've ever been right about anything. Everything you'v just said about me is doubly true about you.

5 minutes ago, Webbo said:

Er, you were the one who told me I get all my opinions from the Daily Mail, because it's impossible that anyone could think you were wrong about anything if they hadn't been brainwashed by the rightwing press.So typical of the left self righteous and conceited despite any evidence they've ever been right about anything. Everything you'v just said about me is doubly true about you.

Yeah sure mate.

9 minutes ago, Rogstanley said:

Enjoy it while it lasts because the pipeline is drying up. Just look at the stats.

The number of EU citizens working in Britain rose to a record high in the year after the Brexit referendum, official figures revealed yesterday.

Despite fears of a so-called Brexodus, 2.37 million migrants from EU states were employed between July and September, an increase of 112,000 on the same period last year.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/record-number-of-eu-workers-in-britain-despite-brexit-vote-xvgwmsgjt

2 minutes ago, Webbo said:

The number of EU citizens working in Britain rose to a record high in the year after the Brexit referendum, official figures revealed yesterday.

Despite fears of a so-called Brexodus, 2.37 million migrants from EU states were employed between July and September, an increase of 112,000 on the same period last year.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/record-number-of-eu-workers-in-britain-despite-brexit-vote-xvgwmsgjt

Sorry, probably me being thick but what does this have to do with my post?

10 minutes ago, Rogstanley said:

Sorry, probably me being thick but what does this have to do with my post?

The pipeline drying up? We were talking about workers? There are still EU citizens coming to work here in the hundreds of thousands? What did you mean?

5 minutes ago, Webbo said:

The pipeline drying up? We were talking about workers? There are still EU citizens coming to work here in the hundreds of thousands? What did you mean?

I was talking about the pipeline of construction work. I had said earlier that the construction industry is slowing down, Claridge responsed with his anecdotal experience of still being very busy, which I don’t doubt for a minute, but the stats show the industry is in the process of slowing down hence the pipeline of future work is drying up.

Anyway here’s the British medical journal suggesting austerity might be to blame for 120,000 deaths over seven years.

http://bmjopen.bmj.com/content/7/11/e017722

A daily mail link discussing the same:

www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-5087527/amp/NHS-cuts-blamed-120-000-extra-deaths.html

Interested to hear people’s views on this.

Edited by Rogstanley

23 minutes ago, Rogstanley said:

Anyway here’s the British medical journal suggesting austerity might be to blame for 120,000 deaths over seven years.

http://bmjopen.bmj.com/content/7/11/e017722

A daily mail link discussing the same:

www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-5087527/amp/NHS-cuts-blamed-120-000-extra-deaths.html

Interested to hear people’s views on this.

One of the lead authors, Professor Lawrence King, from Cambridge University, said: 'It is now very clear that austerity does not promote growth or reduce deficits – it is bad economics, but good class politics.

Do I need to say more? Fair play to the Daily Mail for giving alternative views though.

Has three Daily Mail website been hacked? Articles about the health secretary being embarrassed by an actor and austerity being bad economics? 

To counterpoint this I'll link to a guardian article and say that I'm actually quite impressed with the government's recent talk around environmental policy.....though they need to end fracking before it begins.and Hinckley point is a huge white elephant.

UK considers tax on single-use plastics to tackle ocean pollution

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2017/nov/18/uk-considers-tax-on-single-use-plastics-to-tackle-ocean-pollution?CMP=Share_AndroidApp_Copy_to_clipboard

6 hours ago, Webbo said:

Some interesting stats on employment and migration this week, though we need at least one more quarter to confirm any trends..

As you say, the total number of EU citizens working here is still going up - but the net EU migration figure (arrivals minus departures) is falling.

Also, there are now fewer NON-EU workers here.

If the economic outlook starts getting really black and/or Brexit talks continue to go badly, I assume the overall number of foreign workers will start falling.

I assume most Brexiteers would be happy with that, within reason, but it could cause labour shortages in particular sectors - especially if it's true that those leaving/not coming are unskilled workers from Eastern Europe.

Strange that there was a fall in both unemployment and employment (the latter for the first time in 3 years) - presumably a net fall in the number of Brits in the labour force, offsetting the slight increase in foreigners?

Only one quarter's figures, though, so too soon to draw conclusions. Likewise with productivity, which edged up a bit after falling badly over recent months. 

I assume the figures will start to shift around a bit more soon, unless the prospects of a good Brexit deal improve. Though with unemployment low, I assume it will take some time for any worst-case scenario to develop, even if a few firms pull out after Xmas. Maybe a few people will have to shift sectors, though: City bankers/stockbrokers cast aside by departing finance firms might have to replace departing Romanians in the turnip fields of Lincolnshire. :whistle: