Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
DJ Barry Hammond

Politics Thread (encompassing Brexit) - 21 June 2017 onwards

Just listening to Heidi Allen on Newsnight talking about cross-party agreement and consensus-building; does anyone know much about the likes of German politics, or any other system with a much more proportional system? It seems our whole political system is designed to be two-party, adversarial and often opposition for the sake of opposition. It seems to me that multiparty systems in the likes of Germany appear to be much more capable of building consensus and much less adversarial, I was wondering if that's how it plays out in reality?

John Bercow is my MP and I voted for him again this time around.

I listened to him today keeping control of the rabble, and I must say he was fvckin awesome.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

22 minutes ago, Izzy Muzzett said:

John Bercow is my MP and I voted for him again this time around.

I listened to him today keeping control of the rabble, and I must say he was fvckin awesome.

Thats almost as cool as being able to say you voted for Lord Buckethead

Edited by DJ Barry Hammond

43 minutes ago, theessexfox said:

Just listening to Heidi Allen on Newsnight talking about cross-party agreement and consensus-building; does anyone know much about the likes of German politics, or any other system with a much more proportional system? It seems our whole political system is designed to be two-party, adversarial and often opposition for the sake of opposition. It seems to me that multiparty systems in the likes of Germany appear to be much more capable of building consensus and much less adversarial, I was wondering if that's how it plays out in reality?

In response to my own point...

http://www.dw.com/en/the-pros-and-cons-of-merkels-grand-coalition-in-germany/a-38216448

The fact that the equivalents of Labour and the Tories (kind of) have been in a coalition and survived the length of the term does indicate a very different political culture to our own, this article is quite positive about how it has fared (for the third time in Germany's history).

Can't be bothered with politics anymore. Nobody's ever happy, no consensus is ever met and nowadays everybody's so sure that they're right and other people are wrong that debate is just a waste of time.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Benguin said:

Can't be bothered with politics anymore. Nobody's ever happy, no consensus is ever met and nowadays everybody's so sure that they're right and other people are wrong that debate is just a waste of time.

Your wrong

7 hours ago, DJ Barry Hammond said:

Your wrong

Your wrong is forgiven.

6 hours ago, Swan Lesta said:

*You're wrong

29 minutes ago, Strokes said:

You're wrong!

You're both wrong to bicker - and you'd both look wrong in a sarong. You're from a lower rung of society.

Someone posted this on my Facebook. 

Against a background of austerity, falling incomes and a deteriorating currency, with the Far Right in the wings and amid talk of a national government, a weak and discredited PM struggles to represent the national interest.

Sound familiar?

9 hours ago, theessexfox said:

In response to my own point...

http://www.dw.com/en/the-pros-and-cons-of-merkels-grand-coalition-in-germany/a-38216448

The fact that the equivalents of Labour and the Tories (kind of) have been in a coalition and survived the length of the term does indicate a very different political culture to our own, this article is quite positive about how it has fared (for the third time in Germany's history).

The thing is, while they have to make it work in order to govern, I suspect this just means the deals are thrashed out behind close doors, and hence you don't actually get what you vote for at all.

13 hours ago, theessexfox said:

Posted this in another thread but don't seem to be able to quote it. Think it's the way forward:

The Indy exploring the case for PR. Personally think Labour need to back it in their next manifesto.

https://www.indy100.com/article/uk-election-map-proportional-representation-system-2017-conservative-labour-7784956

Not convinced it could work if you pooled all votes together on a nationwide basis, but think it could work if you regionalised it as you'd still have MPs representing the interests of a certain area. Had a little play around with this and worked out the results for Leicestershire and Rutland...

https://icon.cat/util/elections

It's actually a pretty good example as the two counties send a combined 10 MPs to Westminster, which is a nice round number. Worked out you'd have had 6 Tory and 4 Labour MPs, instead of the 7 and 3 that were actually returned.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Voll Blau said:

Posted this in another thread but don't seem to be able to quote it. Think it's the way forward:

Yeah I agree, there are various forms of PR systems which are used in different elections around the UK. The Electoral Reform Society outlines many of them:

https://www.electoral-reform.org.uk/voting-systems/types-of-voting-system/single-transferable-vote/

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, MattP said:

Why on earth would Labour now support PR when then are polling 40%?

Electoral madness.

It may be 'mad' for power hungry sods to give up that power but PR is a much truer version of democracy than the FPTP system we use. It's an issue that voters will need to push if there is ever to be change as it simply cannot be right that politicians can ignore the fundamentally undemocratic state of our system simply because it favours them. 

Anyway, on another note, the Tory's fabulous handling of the economy always makes for interesting reading:

Brexit economy: UK faces slowdown amid living standards squeeze

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2017/jun/22/brexit-economy-uk-slowdown-living-standards-costs

52 minutes ago, MattP said:

Why on earth would Labour now support PR when then are polling 40%?

Electoral madness.

a) they won't always be polling 40%.

b) maybe - just maybe - they are looking at is what is fair and democratic, rather than what suits the Party?

• Like 1

Within the article i just put up:

David Blanchflower, another former member of the Bank of England’s monetary policy committee, said political uncertainty was making life hard for policymakers as well as consumers and businesses.

“Steady as she goes isn’t what is happening,” said Blanchflower, a professor of economics at Dartmouth College in the US.

“It matters to the central bank and all of us that there is no credible government and no dependable fiscal authority. We have no clue what economic policies the government will implement and whether failed austerity is dead and buried. It should be.”

13 hours ago, DJ Barry Hammond said:

The elections been and gone, the Queen's had her say and we embark on a new 2 year Parliament where Article 50 negotiations will be at the fore. 

Time for a fresh new thread, for th same old arguments me thinks... 

"unlock!"

Two years?  Did I miss something as I thought each parliament usually serve for five years term in each cycle? 

Just now, The Blur said:

Two years?  Did I miss something as I thought each parliament usually serve for five years term in each cycle? 

The election cycle is supposed to be 5 years but parliament itself runs in one year cycles with a Queen's Speech each year. TM has sought a 2 year parlianent this time, ostensibly to maximise the time for brexit related debates.

Guest BlueBrett

Can't respond to anything posted more than a day ago now :(  

Not everyone has the time or inclination to check FT on an hourly basis yknow