Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Turbogre

New router needed

Basically the router from talktalk is total rubbish. its dropping packets left right and center!
Talk talk aren't interested in the problem and very kindly offered to send me a pdf on how to manage my wifi connection.

So I am just going to ditch their router and buy one.

Budget wise its going to be about £100-150. its been so long since I've bought a router I don't know whats the best on the market.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

1 minute ago, Turbogre said:

Basically the router from talktalk is total rubbish. its dropping packets left right and center!
Talk talk aren't interested in the problem and very kindly offered to send me a pdf on how to manage my wifi connection.

Budget wise its going to be about £100-150. its been so long since I've bought a router I don't know whats the best on the market.

Ditch talktalk they're complete dogshit. Get yourself on Virgin Media or BT especially if you have TV as well. I pay around £85.00 

200mpbs broadband - average speeds currently hitting in the region of 225mpbs+

Big Kohuna(sp?)

Sky Sports HD 

All of the above with Virgin. 

9 minutes ago, Ashley said:

Ditch talktalk they're complete dogshit. Get yourself on Virgin Media or BT especially if you have TV as well. I pay around £85.00 

200mpbs broadband - average speeds currently hitting in the region of 225mpbs+

Big Kohuna(sp?)

Sky Sports HD 

All of the above with Virgin. 

Had a feeling someone would say ditch talktalk, its not a possibility at the moment unfortunately.  

19 minutes ago, Turbogre said:

There's your problem right there.. :D

Ditch TalkTalk man, they're garbage.

I have literally just wired up a LinkSys 1900 ACS which I got from my neighbour who is some kind of IT security whizz.  He only sold it to me as his work made him get a £400 one so he could test things.  Seems to be very good so far, very easy to set up.

Have they determined it's your router that is  the problem then ?  If you are pinging your router with a wireless  connection you will get packet loss no matter which router you use as your wireless signal can get effected by anything and every thing, could just be a case of needing to change the router location in your house

. It could possibly be a wholesale fault within the broadband network it's self . Best way to find that out is to ping www.google.com directly from your hub it's self. if you get packet loss there it's their issue to fix.

You could also try changing you wireless channel within your hub as it may be the case that your neighbours are  using the same channel in their hub as yours and the signal is getting confused.

Then there is also the option to (if you have a dual band hub ) to spilt the 2.4mhz and 5 mhz into two separate networks. the 2.4 channel is slower but better at sending signal at distance then the 5 is faster at short distances. this way you can split you devices over the two frequencies to get a more reliable connection .

Hope some of that info helps 

Archived