Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Finnegan

Senua

7 minutes ago, Finnegan said:

Any takers? Absolutely incredible reviews, looks a bit hack and slash in gameplay which isn't normally my thing but from what I've read the story and narrative is so good that it carries it. 

Looks visually phenomenal from first impressions. 

Id never heard of it but a quick Youtube watch and I have to agree. The moody settings and the light effects are stunning. I don't think ive played a hack and slash since the Onimusha/DMC series (which were amazing)

I'm actually glad its not out until August. Going to be sinking my teeth into God of War in April so this may be my go to game late 2018. Will keep a close eye on this for sure

35 minutes ago, Finnegan said:

August 17! It's out already haha, I've got it on pc. 

It's flown kinda under the radar, I hadn't heard of it until it popped up on steam with rave 5* reviews from every quarter. 

Oh hahahaha I just assumed it was August 2018. How has this gone so quiet and under the radar if it has such rave reviews. I just saw it advertised at £15.99 on PS store. May look at that.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, kingcarr21 said:

Oh hahahaha I just assumed it was August 2018. How has this gone so quiet and under the radar if it has such rave reviews. I just saw it advertised at £15.99 on PS store. May look at that.

83 on Metacritic is hardly a everyone rush out and buy it now score. And given none of us have heard of it I'm thinking they probably should of invested in marketing it a bit better. 

57 minutes ago, Manwell Pablo said:

83 on Metacritic is hardly a everyone rush out and buy it now score. And given none of us have heard of it I'm thinking they probably should of invested in marketing it a bit better. 

It's an indie game to be fair and most of the places it's had ratings below 9 are the sort of shills for the gaming industry that gush about every 10/10 COD title. 

2 minutes ago, Finnegan said:

It's an indie game to be fair and most of the places it's had ratings below 9 are the sort of shills for the gaming industry that gush about every 10/10 COD title. 

10/10? COD? Mr Wilson surely you are behind these ratings?

im not saying it’s not good just in general, folk won’t rush out to buy something averaging that score.

5 minutes ago, Manwell Pablo said:

10/10? COD? Mr Wilson surely you are behind these ratings?

im not saying it’s not good just in general, folk won’t rush out to buy something averaging that score.

I've not started Senua yet. Could be shit, I'm not being particularly defensive, I just don't think Metacritic is the best gauge for an indie title is all. The majority of people are never going to "rush out" and buy an independent title. 

Most pseudo "gamers" just gobble up the latest AAA these days. 

In most slightly more high brow, pc gaming circles it has had exceptional reviews to be fair. 

43 minutes ago, Finnegan said:

I've not started Senua yet. Could be shit, I'm not being particularly defensive, I just don't think Metacritic is the best gauge for an indie title is all. The majority of people are never going to "rush out" and buy an independent title. 

Most pseudo "gamers" just gobble up the latest AAA these days. 

In most slightly more high brow, pc gaming circles it has had exceptional reviews to be fair. 

Yeah I think you miss understand me. I was just pointing out why there had not been a mad rush out to buy it. As kingcarr seemed to find it surprising everyone had missed it. 

Im most def not claiming meta to be an 100% accurate measure of quality esp of indie titles I loved everybody’s gone to the rapture for example yet it sits on 78

• Like 1

Played the first hour and a half (I hear it's not a huge game, so could be a fair way in) and I can tell you it is both visually and aurally stunning.

It isn't an rpg, not by a country milestone, it's not an adventure game, it's not really hack and slash. It reminds me a lot of a game I played about a year ago on my PC called Dear Esther, in that you just keep pushing forward, with an internal narrative driving you on, with no HUD or stats - it just unfolded as you progressed and looked and sounded gorgeous, but ultimately that was just an interactive story, with very little interaction.

There's a lot more interaction in Senua, but it's still linear, there's no extras or secrets or bonuses to be discovered. You don't level up and as far as I've seen so far, you don't acquire new items. You do have some interaction with your surroundings, but it's largely, "find this to open that"... oh and combat.

Yes, it's IS hack and slash, and it's fairly easy too, but the audio turns it into something better. You see, you're constantly being guided by voices in your head, ethereal whispers that circle you and in turn mock you and guide you. It's and absolute MUST that you play this game with either surround sound or headphones, you'll lose out so much without it.

So for instance, you'll be fighting a demon/warrior (the game as of yet leaves me uncertain of it these are the demons in her mind, or real, or a mixture of both (humans as demons)) and the voices will say "there's another one," whispered urgently, then more urgently, "quick, he's behind you!" and stuff like that. I'm really not doing the experience justice there. Also, as mentioned, no HUD, so no hit points, Senua just gets progressively injured and weariness, starts to struggle, limp and the voices in your head egg her on or tell you about the pain. Combat is tense and stressful.

Because there's something else I forgot to mention. I said it's not an rpg, adventure or hack and slash... what it is is a thief-like. You die too many times (I have no idea how many, I'm still going, so you can get away with at least twice lol) your save game is wiped (there's no save function, only auto-save) and you start from the beginning of the whole game!

Which is a bit stressing :D

It's definitely an experience.

And can someone please get rid of that Zutons video. Accidentally pasted it from old clipboard and can't seem to delete it on my tablet! >_<