Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Ashley

New TV

25 minutes ago, Ashley said:

I'm looking at getting a new TV, most probably a high end 4k one however I've noticed motion blur is standing out for me at the moment, does anyone on here notice it at all? 

In most cases and with most models, you can switch that function off, resulting in a more natural picture.

Other than that, I think with today's technology, motion blur isn't much of an issue anymore.

2 hours ago, MC Prussian said:

In most cases and with most models, you can switch that function off, resulting in a more natural picture.

Other than that, I think with today's technology, motion blur isn't much of an issue anymore.

When I was in currys the other day it was happening on quite a few top end models, I don't know if it was because the demos for the TVs were on or what but it was happening :dunno:

4 hours ago, Trav Le Bleu said:

So is this a thing you can turn on and off? Why would you? Except if you live your life through video games.

They had some football highlights on the other day and the movement of the ball actually looked horrible. 

On 26/06/2018 at 19:48, Ashley said:

They had some football highlights on the other day and the movement of the ball actually looked horrible. 

Yeah you can tinker wit the settings to correct this. I used to know a lot more about it but it's basically because the shows and football come through at 25 frames per second, whereas the TV displays much more frames per second. This means the TV would essentially be repeating the image a few times per second, so instead it interpolates the frames and makes it's own sort of half way image. It's called the soap opera effect I think because it makes a lot of shows look oddly like a dodgy soap - was a massive issue when the first Hobbit movie came out in some cinemas. When I first got my LG TV it was awful for football and gaming but it can be fixed - not that I can remember how I did it but I can check when I am home 

21 minutes ago, GeorgeTheFox said:

Yeah you can tinker wit the settings to correct this. I used to know a lot more about it but it's basically because the shows and football come through at 25 frames per second, whereas the TV displays much more frames per second. This means the TV would essentially be repeating the image a few times per second, so instead it interpolates the frames and makes it's own sort of half way image. It's called the soap opera effect I think because it makes a lot of shows look oddly like a dodgy soap - was a massive issue when the first Hobbit movie came out in some cinemas. When I first got my LG TV it was awful for football and gaming but it can be fixed - not that I can remember how I did it but I can check when I am home 

If you can mate. Feel free to throw any recommendations for tvs my way too ;)

On ‎29‎/‎06‎/‎2018 at 16:47, GeorgeTheFox said:

George did you manage to have a look mate? 

On 04/07/2018 at 20:37, Ashley said:

George did you manage to have a look mate? 

Yeah I did sorry I forgot to reply! My TV is a couple of years old so might not be as relevant but it's an LG so it has TruMotion. Turning on the TruMotion makes it juddery but there's a setting thas called smoothing or something along those lines. The higher the smoothing, the weirder TV shows seem to look, but the better football looks - the ball has no ghosting or skipping. I'm not the most knowledgeable when it comes to TVs but have no complaints with LG. I can't offer any advice on other brands but I would imagine you would always be able to fiddle with the settings and get rid of the judder. Hope this helps :)

On 26/06/2018 at 11:54, Ashley said:

I'm looking at getting a new TV, most probably a high end 4k one however I've noticed motion blur is standing out for me at the moment, does anyone on here notice it at all? 

I e got a 65” LG OLED used for everything from home cinema to console gaming. Motion blur is negligible across the board. However some people are more sensitive to it. What’s your budget?

1 hour ago, ARM1968 said:

I e got a 65” LG OLED used for everything from home cinema to console gaming. Motion blur is negligible across the board. However some people are more sensitive to it. What’s your budget?

I've been looking at ones around 2k-2.5k currently if it needs to be higher then so be it.

5 minutes ago, Ashley said:

I've been looking at ones around 2k-2.5k currently if it needs to be higher then so be it.

Have you checked out the LG OLED’s?  They’re pretty much at the bleeding edge of that technology.  Sony are well regarded for the image processing hardware, but I always find they soften things a bit too much and actually induce motion blur. Panasonic, who used to make awesome plasmas - I’ve got 3 of them, have just released a well reviewed 4K OLED TV. Might be worth a look. 

6 minutes ago, ARM1968 said:

Have you checked out the LG OLED’s?  They’re pretty much at the bleeding edge of that technology.  Sony are well regarded for the image processing hardware, but I always find they soften things a bit too much and actually induce motion blur. Panasonic, who used to make awesome plasmas - I’ve got 3 of them, have just released a well reviewed 4K OLED TV. Might be worth a look. 

I will have a look. I like the look of the Samsung one conect though. Were moving home and i want the tv on our wall in this house, saves the hassle of hiding wires lol

Samsung is quantum dot technology. Panels offer a little more brightness than OLED but cannot compete on black levels, whatever salesmen might say. They are good TV’s though, but perhaps not quite as motion blur free as OLED. In the end, at the price bracket you are looking at, you won’t really go far wrong. Just have a look at as many as you can. Read some reviews and check out the technology in each. Good luck with your purchase. 

I've just bought a TV at the other end of the spectrum. 

It's an lcd Toshiba 4k 49" job that cost a few hundred quid, not thousands. 

To reduce motion blur for gaming, what sort of settings should I be looking at adjusting on the TV? Reducing the refresh rate? 

1 hour ago, Finnegan said:

I've just bought a TV at the other end of the spectrum. 

It's an lcd Toshiba 4k 49" job that cost a few hundred quid, not thousands. 

To reduce motion blur for gaming, what sort of settings should I be looking at adjusting on the TV? Reducing the refresh rate? 

Isn’t there a ‘Game’ setting in the Display option? Applying that will make the picture to suit gaming.

1 hour ago, buzzer_b said:

£2k on a TV! Bast*rd @Ashley you must be raking it in son.

That's only the ones i was looking at from what ive read its like the old HD Ready and Full HD. 

Might as well spend the money now rather than potentially having to change TV again in a few years.

• Like 1