Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Steven

Burnley Match Thread

I too am gutted, but I need to keep a smile on my face to be sure the nurses let me go home today!

I have always said we should give CL until Christmas but I am getting a little nervous. If we don't beat MA's lot then I think it will be difficult for him to stay.

I don't mind us losing,if we go down fighting but we don't seem to have the spirit we used to have. Very worrying...

With Mad Frank in defence, we should have taken advantage of his panicy nature.

He was also on a yellow. Ally Mauchlen's comments on that were the same as mine; he should have been put under far more pressure than he was.

It's making me laugh people going on about CL's half-time talk, it's Cotterill's that's had the most impact "Exploit the right, there's bags of room". Johannson kept drifting in, he did the same at Watford where we were exposed, and he did it again last night. Then to cap it off, he's replaced by a player who couldn't hold his position if he tried!

There are some fundemental flaws in our game at present. They are glaringly obvious to all. If CL doesn't start doing something about them, then my patience will wear thin.

Went last night, was absolutley diabolical. Our midfield were scared to move out our own half leaving DeVries to do the impossible.

Why on Earth he dragged Hammond rather than 'Defreece' is beyond me, Levein needs to accept MDV is not the player he touted him to be and maybe give him a Ferdinand role coming on at half time/late second-half from a couple of seasons ago.

I thought Dublin was the best player on the pitch in a Leicester shirt, I can only imagine the embarresment we'd suffer if Dublin werent there to head the ball.

Momo Sylla's crossing was terrible, he seems worse than what Jordan Stewert was on the left; with Momo always running the ball into the inevitable opposition. The players seemed to play like mercenaries, not helping each other out and not creating space for each other almost like they were waiting for the Leicester attacking player to loose the ball; And seeing us resort to the 'hoof' created anxiety and desperation among everyone in blue including the fans.

It was nice to see the attendance over 23,000 with low ticket prices with the only atmespheric singing coming at the end when everyone sang 'What A Load Of Rubbish'.

Not sure about that! Think we need about 3-4 wins on trot to get that excited! :P

Are you joking? We won against Watford and suddenly everyone was talking about promotion, even Johansson who was saying we'd 'turned the corner' after one game. Win against Cov and everyone will forget about Burnley, that's the nature of football. Just like how everyone has forgotten about Watford now that we've lost to Burnley.

Are you joking? We won against Watford and suddenly everyone was talking about promotion, even Johansson who was saying we'd 'turned the corner' after one game. Win against Cov and everyone will forget about Burnley, that's the nature of football. Just like how everyone has forgotten about Watford now that we've lost to Burnley.

Totaly agree with you there Louise!! :thumbup::D

There is a difference between turning the corner and promotion - i heard that interview! I was not trying to say any different if we win against cov then yes people will forget against burnley. But as you said on another post about booing - "lets look at the bigger picture!"

There is a difference between turning the corner and promotion - i heard that interview! I was not trying to say any different if we win against cov then yes people will forget against burnley. But as you said on another post about booing - "lets look at the bigger picture!"

Obviously my picture is bigger than yours! :ermm:

Not sure about that! Think we need about 3-4 wins on trot to get that excited! :P

Stick me neck out time!

This team hasn't got 3 or 4 wins on the trot in em, De vries can't seem to be able to play twice in a week, this may be because the Midfield aren't supporting him, and he's shagged out after one game!

Let's get Dublin back up front with Hammond stick Hume in the hole behind em and lets start running at the opposition.

There isn't a team in the League afraid to come to The Walkers Stadium-Thats the big worry

Stick me neck out time!

This team hasn't got 3 or 4 wins on the trot in em, De vries can't seem to be able to play twice in a week, this may be because the Midfield aren't supporting him, and he's shagged out after one game!

Let's get Dublin back up front with Hammond stick Hume in the hole behind em and lets start running at the opposition.

There isn't a team in the League afraid to come to The Walkers Stadium-Thats the big worry

Similar problem at the Forest S**** they thought that they could turn the CIty Ground - best or one of the best grounds in league - into fortress, but no team fears going there! Same as Leicester, 30,000 seater, new statium and teams are not worried about it!

We say teams aren't worried to come to the Bowl but if you look at the teams that come here, they all play defensive formations. Burnley last night played the classic 4-5-1 looking to take a point, maybe stealing a win. They played it to perfection.

The sad reality is that we are unable to break teams down. Away from home, it is not so apparent because the opposition have to attack, leaving space at the back for us to exploit. Sadly, the players we have out on the pitch are unable to break down teams who sit back.

We should have played 2 orthodox fullbacks last night (Maybury and Sheehan) to push up the pitch and become a fifth midfielder. Our midfield were hopelessly outnumbered by the Burnley 5 and were unable to cope, hence the hoofball.

A couple of points/suggestions:-

Changing the team every week or so just will not work- there seems to be 3 players for some positions and players playing out of position in others for no apparent reason ( not unfit/suspended). The most successful sides rely on a nucleus of 7 or 8 players with only the occasional change enforced by injury or by sustained loss of form. This stability enables the players to play to a system they are comfortable with alongside colleagues who they have developed an understanding with.

Changing the system/ formation around from game to game or during the game doesn't seem to work either. Pick a formation suited to the players you've got and stick with it. Someone asked me recently who I thought was City's best player. If you ask any 10 City fans you'd get 10 different answers. Not one player is guaranteed a starting place.

All this is such obvious stuff that it hardly needs saying and it certainly would have occurred to an experienced manager like CL. We are not so well acquainted with the division of duties with the current set up presently at the club as we were under MON with Robertson and Walford in the coaching roles. It is unfair to hark back to the MON days and I apologise for doing so other than to find reference to a model that worked. Perhaps CL should take a step back from micro-managing and allow the coaches more say. I would be surprised if the chopping and changing is not a reaction to the panic that the supporters are imparting. If at the end of the season , heaven forbid, we are in a relegation fight the present climate around the club will work very badly against us, the time for stability is now and I would argue that we need less players in the first team squad not more.

When a previously successful club gets in trouble more often than not they are found to have far more players than they need (southampton and Man City a year or so ago are prime examples) this is an expensive and counter-productive folly which we must address as a matter of urgency

A couple of points/suggestions:-

Changing the team every week or so just will not work- there seems to be 3 players for some positions and players playing out of position in others for no apparent reason ( not unfit/suspended). The most successful sides rely on a nucleus of 7 or 8 players with only the occasional change enforced by injury or by sustained loss of form. This stability enables the players to play to a system they are comfortable with alongside colleagues who they have developed an understanding with.

Changing the system/ formation around from game to game or during the game doesn't seem to work either. Pick a formation suited to the players you've got and stick with it. Someone asked me recently who I thought was City's best player. If you ask any 10 City fans you'd get 10 different answers. Not one player is guaranteed a starting place.

All this is such obvious stuff that it hardly needs saying and it certainly would have occurred to an experienced manager like CL. We are not so well acquainted with the division of duties with the current set up presently at the club as we were under MON with Robertson and Walford in the coaching roles. It is unfair to hark back to the MON days and I apologise for doing so other than to find reference to a model that worked. Perhaps CL should take a step back from micro-managing and allow the coaches more say. I would be surprised if the chopping and changing is not a reaction to the panic that the supporters are imparting. If at the end of the season , heaven forbid, we are in a relegation fight the present climate around the club will work very badly against us, the time for stability is now and I would argue that we need less players in the first team squad not more.

When a previously successful club gets in trouble more often than not they are found to have far more players than they need (southampton and Man City a year or so ago are prime examples) this is an expensive and counter-productive folly which we must address as a matter of urgency

You're not wrong son

Archived