Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Haywood_6

Claude Puel Infographic (with points tally starting from PL 17/18 Matchweek 10)

5 minutes ago, Milo said:

So after a year in the job, the style of play is nothing to do with the manager? 

Not a direct comparison, but United have had 3 negative, cautious managers and played negative cautious football. They now have a more attacking manager and lets see what happens. Huddersfield have quite an attacking manager and it hasn't done them much good...and, IMO, we are somewhere in between the two. 

In the case of OGS, he doesn't have that much experience as a manager but understands what it means to play for the badge. He's attack-minded, yes, but he also wants his players to express themselves on the pitch and give everything for the team because, in his eyes, that represents what it means to play for Man Utd. His experience playing and learning under Fergie will no doubt prove itself invaluable if they decide to stick with him.

4 minutes ago, Milo said:

So after a year in the job, the style of play is nothing to do with the manager? 

You are twisting my words. 

I'm saying there's more to it than the manager. You're not complaining when we set ourselves up to stifle and counter Man City, Chelsea and Everton and it yields results I take it? 

Really, our main concern is our home form where we are enticed to take the initiative. 

Puel has attempted to implement a possession-based style for those games instead of the tried and failed ultra direct-style of Ranieri and Shakespeare. 

So far it's very inconsistent and not much better than his predecessors, but is it down to Puel or down to the coaching and ability of our players? 

We all know they can press and counter well enough, but we have yet to see consistent evidence that they can pull off possession football and it might require change in playing personnel, which takes time... 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, shen said:

I'm saying there's more to it than the manager. You're not complaining when we set ourselves up to stifle and counter Man City, Chelsea and Everton and it yields results I take it? 

Really, our main concern is our home form where we are enticed to take the initiative

Puel has attempted to implement a possession-based style for those games instead of the tried and failed ultra direct-style of Ranieri and Shakespeare. 

So far it's very inconsistent and not much better than his predecessors, but is it down to Puel or down to the coaching and ability of our players? 

We all know they can press and counter well enough, but we have yet to see consistent evidence that they can pull off possession football and it might require change in playing personnel, which takes time... 

It's also worth pointing out that when he did experiment with a more defensive, counter attacking team at home to a smaller side we were not happy with the result.

3 minutes ago, shen said:

Really, our main concern is our home form where we are enticed to take the initiative. 

I appreciate your optimism.

Claude has shown in his previous job(s) that he is conservative, defensive and negative. How we are playing now...this IS his style, his vision, his philosophy. 

But you might be right, he might surprise us all and turn into a full blown attacking fiend once he gets a couple of better players, who knows?

Fvcking FT, you promise yourself not to get drawn into any debates, and look what happens... 

6 hours ago, The Doctor said:

Given he's repeatedly talked about playing with more intensity to the point it's become another shit forced meme on here (see also "X was decent", "I blame Wellens" etc.), and has lamented how slow we start in interviews with journalists who aren't incompetent shitstirrers (Yes you Stringer), it seems fairly obvious what we're playing now is not the long term plan

In which case he never achieves his long term plan, because everything I read about his style of play in France & Saints is exactly what we are seeing here.

4 hours ago, Milo said:

I appreciate your optimism.

Claude has shown in his previous job(s) that he is conservative, defensive and negative. How we are playing now...this IS his style, his vision, his philosophy. 

But you might be right, he might surprise us all and turn into a full blown attacking fiend once he gets a couple of better players, who knows?

Puel doesn't seem best pleased with how we play when breaking down defensive sides. At no point has he expressed that this is his vision of football.

He has quite clearly been frustrated with our poor performances and reiterated that we need a lot of work on our attacking play.

How I understand his philosophy is that he wants to bring in young talent and create a side that is balanced and capable of taking initiative and also defend well, i.e. a well-rounded team.

• Thanks 1