Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Haywood_6

Claude Puel Infographic (with points tally starting from PL 17/18 Matchweek 10)

1 hour ago, ozleicester said:

Cant fault the transfers in... the loss of Mahrez was the biggest problem with this year.

Indeed. I think people forget the impact losing Mahrez has had on the team. I thought we'd struggle much more than we have this season.

4 minutes ago, Milo said:

So, what, I should sit and home and watch the stats every Saturday?? 

Will certainly be more entertaining. Claude’s version of football makes my eyes hurt. 

Funny, 'cause we were just as bad, if not worse, under Ranieri's second season and under Shakespeare.

If you were as critical of their 'style', then maybe we have to look at some of our players and recruitment.

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, shen said:

Funny, 'cause we were just as bad, if not worse, under Ranieri's second season and under Shakespeare.

If you were as critical of their 'style', then maybe we have to look at some of our players and recruitment.

The impression i get is the puel out crowd would rather be in a relegation battle (ranieri 2nd season) and shakey, it’s in plain black and white puel rescued us from the relegation zone to a top half finish and in his 2nd season without mahrez has improved our position so far

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, lanefox said:

The impression i get is the puel out crowd would rather be in a relegation battle (ranieri 2nd season) and shakey, it’s in plain black and white puel rescued us from the relegation zone to a top half finish and in his 2nd season without mahrez has improved our position so far

To be fair, my post wasn't meant as a defense of Puel. More that the issues we have currently have been there since we won the title.

It's fairly obvious that a large chunk of our fanbase are as impatient as small children at a grocery store and have about as much perspective as well.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, FLAN said:

When you think 3 have no or little game time here (ward soyuncu and benkovic) one is out on loan a year after signing and Ghezzal looks pretty poor it isn’t that great. Other 3 are good signings 

Of course Ward isn't going to get gametime, don't be obtuse. The whole point of buying him is not needing to worry if Schmeichel ever gets injured.  It's a depth signing. Diabaté was only ever a cheap punt, low risk low reward, am not bothered for the club if he doesn't make it at our grade although I certainly hope he manages it. Benkovic is essentially a signing for the future. The only "failures" I see are Ghezzal (sort of) and Soyuncu (I wouldn't even consider him a failure as there is plenty of time for him to come good and he looks quality.

3 hours ago, bovril said:

Indeed. I think people forget the impact losing Mahrez has had on the team. I thought we'd struggle much more than we have this season.

There are quite a  few games where we would certainly have needed him, especially at home. But we indeed really done "well" without him.

2 hours ago, shen said:

Who mentioned Ranieri or Shakey?

Why bring them up? ?‍♂️ 

3 minutes ago, Milo said:

Why bring them up? ?‍♂️ 

Why bring it up? Because we were even worse for a whole year before Puel. His 'version' of football has stabilised what was a rapidly sinking ship.

He's struggling with the same things Ranieri and Shakespeare were prior to him and they're not rubbish managers the lot of them.
So what I'm saying is maybe the reason for our uninspiring football, when we're not on the counter, is down to more things than just the manager.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Milo said:

Why bring them up? ?‍♂️ 

Because puel has sortted out the mess they left us in, in his forst full season he has improved the defence no end and finally sorted out one of our biggest weaknesses that everybody has forgot about whoch is conceading from corners.

next summer he will most likely focus on improving our attacking players

Looking at that it seems hard to justify sacking him. Especially with the loss of Mahrez, The Helicopter Tragedy, and the relative success in the transfer market.

If I thought for one minute that his style of play is just a pragmatic step whilst he sorts problems out ..... NP played hoofball and told us when he had the players to play more cultured football he would (and did to some extent).

It would be great to hear it from him whether the football we see today is the style he wants long term or not, that for me would decide his fate!

• Like 4

1 hour ago, FLAN said:

Agreed on Ward but it’s a big amount to pay for a bench warmer where there are clear priorities in forward positions 

I think he's taken the opportunity when it presented itself .... not always the case that the players you want are available when you want them..... however I do wonder if the finances are the same post-Vichai as they were with him alive, in hindsight we'd have probably kept the money for a forward.

In terms of Mahrez, its not just the loss of the creative/iconic player, its all the resultant inability to play the same way and its that as much as anything that has caused major disruptions to "our style" or at least the ability to continue to use that style (Along with other teams finally realising how to counteract it of course)

But that style would have been a little more possible with a Mahrez I fancy.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, 5waller5 said:

It would be great to hear it from him whether the football we see today is the style he wants long term or not, that for me would decide his fate!

Given he's repeatedly talked about playing with more intensity to the point it's become another shit forced meme on here (see also "X was decent", "I blame Wellens" etc.), and has lamented how slow we start in interviews with journalists who aren't incompetent shitstirrers (Yes you Stringer), it seems fairly obvious what we're playing now is not the long term plan

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

35 minutes ago, lanefox said:

Because puel has sortted out the mess they left us in, in his forst full season he has improved the defence no end and finally sorted out one of our biggest weaknesses that everybody has forgot about whoch is conceading from corners.

next summer he will most likely focus on improving our attacking players

All good points.

For balance, he has also sucked all the enjoyment from going to games, alienated half the fans, killed the home atmosphere and not improved any of the squad (Chilly aside).

If you are happy, then great. As the OP says, his stats are good.

I don't particularly want him sacked, but I do want him to be a better version of himself.

Btw, I doubt he will likely focus on improving the attacking players next season - He is a negative, cautious, conservative manager...the way we are playing now IS how he wants his teams to play. This IS is style.   

2 minutes ago, Milo said:

All good points.

For balance, he has also sucked all the enjoyment from going to games, alienated half the fans, killed the home atmosphere and not improved any of the squad (Chilly aside).

If you are happy, then great. As the OP says, his stats are good.

I don't particularly want him sacked, but I do want him to be a better version of himself.

Btw, I doubt he will likely focus on improving the attacking players next season - He is a negative, cautious, conservative manager...the way we are playing now IS how he wants his teams to play. This IS is style.   

The poster you responded to made objective points. Your points, whilst not wrong necessarily, are subjective

Im surprised at you, Milo. Thought youd be more a "facts dont care about your feelings" kind of guy

• Like 2

1 hour ago, shen said:

Why bring it up? Because we were even worse for a whole year before Puel. His 'version' of football has stabilised what was a rapidly sinking ship.

He's struggling with the same things Ranieri and Shakespeare were prior to him and they're not rubbish managers the lot of them.
So what I'm saying is maybe the reason for our uninspiring football, when we're not on the counter, is down to more things than just the manager.

So after a year in the job, the style of play is nothing to do with the manager? 

Not a direct comparison, but United have had 3 negative, cautious managers and played negative cautious football. They now have a more attacking manager and lets see what happens. Huddersfield have quite an attacking manager and it hasn't done them much good...and, IMO, we are somewhere in between the two. 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, AlloverthefloorYesNdidi said:

The poster you responded to made objective points. Your points, whilst not wrong necessarily, are subjective

Im surprised at you, Milo. Thought youd be more a "facts dont care about your feelings" kind of guy

Agree.

As I was posting I realised that I should have emphasised the whole 'this is my point of view based on nothing but watching games' thing.

No problems with the OP at all, it was interesting reading.

It just irked me a bit 'cos the data on the infograph is not why we watch football.

Anyway, I think there are positives with Puel, but at the moment I would rather hammer rusty nails into my eyeballs than watch the tripe on offer (bar Christmas where I was jumping over the sofa like a 5 year old on a Sunny D and blue smarties cocktail) 

• Haha 1