Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Dr Marco

Favorite Guitarist

• 4 months later...
  • 11 months later...

Duane Allman

Stevie Ray Vaughn

Jimmy Page

BB King

Mark Knopfler

Peter Green

Buddy Guy

Seen the last five of them live but not the first two, unfortunately. Duane Allman produced a lot of great stuff for a man who didn't see his 25th birthday.

Kossof, Clapton, Bonnie Raitt, Rory Gallagher, Albert Lee, Pete Townshend, Allen Collins and Richard Thompson deserve honourable mentions for me too.

I will concede I'm (mainly) stuck in the past with music.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Duquesne Whistle said:

Duane Allman

Stevie Ray Vaughn

Jimmy Page

BB King

Mark Knopfler

Peter Green

Buddy Guy

Seen the last five of them live but not the first two, unfortunately. Duane Allman produced a lot of great stuff for a man who didn't see his 25th birthday.

Kossof, Clapton, Bonnie Raitt, Rory Gallagher, Albert Lee, Pete Townshend, Allen Collins and Richard Thompson deserve honourable mentions for me too.

I will concede I'm (mainly) stuck in the past with music.

Allen Collins was like Duane Allman, a southern rock legend that died far too young. Great player. His bandmate Steve Gaines was even better - but unlike Allen, didn't survive the plane crash. Died at the age of 28. 

Just now, Line-X said:

Allen Collins was like Duane Allman, a southern rock legend that died far too young. Great player. His bandmate Steve Gaines was even better - but unlike Allen, didn't survive the plane crash. Died at the age of 28. 

I like Gaines too, certainly technically better than Collins, but Collins just had something undefinable for me. Given Collins life of bad decisions and tragic luck, it's not impossible to imagine that he may have been better succumbing at the same time as Gaines. Some people's lives read like a horror story, and Collins is one of those. Such a shame.

On 12/07/2019 at 00:05, Julian Joachim Jr Shabadoo said:

Surprised there's been no mention of Nuno Bettencourt (Extreme), absolutely incredible technical ability

Not only that, but incredibly creative musically and rarely flash just for the sake of it - no ordinary shredder.

If you've never seen him play the Freddie Mercury tribute gig where they did a huge medley, just listen to some of the stuff he adds to great Queen songs whilst remaining totally respectful of what Brian May did. You'll have to just ignore Gary Cherone being immensely annoying...

On 12/07/2019 at 08:34, rico said:

Cant beat a bit of Lemmy

On 12/07/2019 at 09:36, The Bear said:

Wrong thread. 

Nonsense this. Lemmy wasn't a bassist, he was a rhythm guitarist whose hands were too big for some piddly six string ;)

e7b2b53dc0dc1f01492169b47eb93851.gif