Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Dr Marco

Favorite Guitarist

18 minutes ago, Blueman1967 said:

Edge(U2)

Stuart Adamson(Big Country)

Pete Townsend(TheWho)

Steve Craddock(Ocean Colour Scene)

Johnny Marr(The Smiths)

decent list but the edge?  seriously?

I'll add Bruce Cockburn...unfortunate name great guitarist.

32 minutes ago, purpleronnie said:

decent list but the edge?  seriously?

I'll add Bruce Cockburn...unfortunate name great guitarist.

I had not heard of Bruce Cockburn, but looked on net, clever choice, Edge guitarist to a great group, would they be the same with out him? and a style and sound which when you hear him, you know its him.

21 minutes ago, Blueman1967 said:

I had not heard of Bruce Cockburn, but looked on net, clever choice, Edge guitarist to a great group, would they be the same with out him? and a style and sound which when you hear him, you know its him.

True but his guitar work always sounds the same to me but I don't like u2 so maybe that's blurred my opinion.

Don't want to suggest any obligatory musicians, so I'll say Elliot Easton. I never really cared for the Cars brand of nerdy, synth, pop new wave, but they were without doubt one of the tightest live bands in the history of popular music and Easton's solos were always on point and impeccably executed live. A melody within a melody - a song within a song. The guy is technically brilliant and his phrasing is exceptional, which is why he is so commonly invoked. praised and cited as an influence by his peers - I used to go out of my way to listen to The Cars purely to see what he did next. If you want a perfect introduction into the anatomy of a catchy and appropriate solo. listen to this guy. There are only two solos that I can think of that always induce a standing ovation - one was "Freewill" by Rush, the other is "Touch and Go" by The Cars.  

Surprised that no one has mentioned Robert Fripp.

In terms of expression, Bill Nelson too, get this...

• Like 1

The rock and metal worlds are so full of technically brilliant shredding guitarists that all sound the ****ing same. 

It's why I always loved Tom Morello. First guitarist that ever really fully stood out to me and still a favourite. 

Audioslave shackled him to a more routine sound but what he conjured up for RATM was just superb. As much as Zack's politics, voice and personality gave the band a lot - it was Morello's sound that made them unique. 

• Like 3

I've been playing guitar for over 25 years now. It's very rare I actually pick mine up now though. 

1. Johnny Marr

2. Jimi Hendrix

3. Lindsey Buckingham 

4. Jimmy Page

5. Mark Knopfler

Buckingham doesn't get anywhere near enough credit for how good he is. Big Love played live is one of the most impressive bits of playing and singing at the same time you'll ever witness. 

Anyone on here heard of a bloke on YouTube who keeps his identity secret called "Fretkillr"? He does acoustic versions of old songs in a flatpicking/fingerpicking style and has a great voice too. He's very, very good:

https://youtu.be/IDDZITzrDKo

Edited by The Bear
  • Like 2

20 minutes ago, Finnegan said:

The rock and metal worlds are so full of technically brilliant shredding guitarists that all sound the ****ing same. 

It's why I always loved Tom Morello. First guitarist that ever really fully stood out to me and still a favourite. 

Audioslave shackled him to a more routine sound but what he conjured up for RATM was just superb. As much as Zack's politics, voice and personality gave the band a lot - it was Morello's sound that made them unique. 

Amen.

Oh and if we're going for under rated, I'd go for a group commonly considered for their simplicity but actually packed to the rafters with ingenuity. 

Watching this guy live is, or certainly used to be, ****ing immense. 

Jack White, ladies and gentlemen. 

Also, a little low key surprised to see no mention of Matt Bellamy. Someone else that seems to have slipped out of people's consciousness since his band went a little bit easy listening. Some of the work on Origin of Symmetry and Show Bizz was just incredible and had never really been done before. 

Edit: both pretty solid pianists to boot! 

Edited by Finnegan
  • Like 4

Yeah Matt Bellamy is very good. Can't get him in my top 5 though! I've got one of Muse's live DVDs and there is an option on there to view the entire gig from a small camera fitted to his headstock looking down the neck. That's a really cool thing to watch. 

• Like 1

On 11/06/2019 at 14:19, Alf Bentley said:

- Wilko Johnson (Dr. Feelgood, Ian Dury & Blockheads, solo)

- Stuart Adamson (Skids, Big Country)

- Steve Jones (Sex Pistols)

- Link Wray

- Duane Eddy

- Michael Rother (Neu!)

- Barney McKenna (Dubliners) on banjo & mandolin, as I suspect there'll be no demand for a "Favourite Banjoists" thread. :D

Oh, and chuck in Viv Albertine (Slits) for equal opportunities...

If we're having favourite mandolinist(?) I'm backing Ray Jackson of Lindisfarne for maybe one of the most iconic mandolin riffs of all time. 

Plus, what a tash. 

Ray-Jackson-1i.jpg

Josh Brolin really needs to play him in a biopic. 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Finnegan said:

If we're having favourite mandolinist(?) I'm backing Ray Jackson of Lindisfarne for maybe one of the most iconic mandolin riffs of all time. 

Plus, what a tash. 

Ray-Jackson-1i.jpg

Josh Brolin really needs to play him in a biopic. 

But it was John Peel who played that iconic mandolin "live"..... :whistle:

Yes, a fine tash there, rivaling Merv Hughes or Dennis Hopper in Easy Rider.

I don't know Lindisfarne (apart from "Fog") but will see them in September - in the line-up for a festival I've booked for.

No idea whether it's the original line-up or if tash geezer is still around or what his shaving habits are now.

13 hours ago, Line-X said:

Childhood crush on both Viv and Brix..

I saw Viv supporting the Mekons about 5-6 years ago and she was still very glam, in a sophisticated, middle-aged, middle-class sort of way - and had some decent new material.

I think she's stopped performing music again, though, and is now devoting herself to writing. I read her "Clothes, Music, Boys" memoir and that was an excellent read.

Can't remember whether we've discussed Brix & the Extricated in another thread?

If not, strongly recommended. Band includes Brix, the Hanley brothers from The Fall, plus a couple of other guitarists. Playing Cookie on Leicester High Street on Sat. 26th Oct (if you live in/near Leicester).