Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
davieG

Are we getting too soft?

9 hours ago, Facecloth said:

Judging by the fact that this joke by Lineker received numerous complaints, I'd say yes.

"It's a strong start to the Premier League season. Real hair-raising stuff at times… unless you're Alan Shearer and Danny Murphy."

Hahaha brilliant. Absurd that it received numerous complaints!

Course we are. We're edging ever closer to the Party Think. 

The problem is you can't object to not offending people. Despite the fact that offence is subjective and hard to prove. 

Thirty years and we'll have Brave New World style responses to potentially problematic conversion topics. 

• Like 2

On 22/08/2019 at 23:39, Facecloth said:

Judging by the fact that this joke by Lineker received numerous complaints, I'd say yes.

"It's a strong start to the Premier League season. Real hair-raising stuff at times… unless you're Alan Shearer and Danny Murphy."

Oh come on! If it were outta' o' a Christmas cracker you'd complain. Forget the offence a few mildy sensitive slapheads may feel. It were a crap gag! All of his jokes are.

On 22/08/2019 at 23:39, Facecloth said:

Three hair pins before the first game tonight. Good work Gary.

• Like 1

Re: The Tourettes joke. Was it offensive in the context of a comedy show, probably not. Should a mainstream tv channel like Dave and the judging panel have thought about the suitability of the joke as one of the best jokes of the fringe to be splashed over tv and print adverts? possibly and maybe next time they will think again. 

I am of the opinion no subject is taboo for jokes but within context. If the objectively funniest joke of the fringe was about Jimmy Savile or Jeffery Epstein would it have been put on the shortlist? What about one of Rosie Jones jokes? (Comedian with cerebral palsy that makes jokes about her condition) out of context they are offensive but are not in context of her condition because of who she is. 

It would frustrate me if I was a Tourettes sufferer is that people see the condition as a joke, it's funny people say random things like swear words, ha ha. When it is actually a serious condition.

Edited by Captain...