Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
smr

Better than England's first choice striker

1 hour ago, st albans fox said:

the first issue is solved by selling another asset ...... we will have plenty of them.  We aren’t talking about more than 4/5 players max on 150/200k.  That’s approx an additional 100m spend over four years. 

it becomes more and more about cute recruitment which we know is v tough .

the training ground will also help with recruitment 

the nett spend issue is also fascinating ..... is it part of the plan or have we just been fortunate with buying some gems ??  Looking at the five year cycle, I suspect we aren’t intending becoming a ‘cash splasher’ but we may have to short term to keep Brendan happy if he has an  expensive target or two in mind. that would mean that the increased salary option falls away. And Brendan is on record last week as staying that we can’t begin to compete with the big salaries. 

Ideally, of course. But it becomes very difficult to balance out the wishes and expectations of the rest of the squad when 4/5 are paid significantly more than the rest. Let's say we put Ricardo, Maddison, Tielemans, Vardy, and Schmeichel in and around 200k p/w. At the very LEAST, the likes of Ndidi, Chilwell, Soyuncu, are thinking, hang on, why are they getting paid double or more than me? I'm worth more than that judging by my performances on the pitch.

So then they get bumped up in and around 150k p/w, or we greatly risk losing them to other clubs. The knock on effect continues, until the point that even when we sign players, they will require more as a base salary when they join us. This not only can spiral out of control very quickly, it can be very hard to correct. Selling one of our assets every few years for the express purpose of covering salary is a very dangerous game as well.

What we're currently doing, incrementally increasing our player's salaries in proportion to our revenue growth, is really the most sensible and sustainable way of increasing our wage bill. 

• Like 1

On ‎07‎/‎11‎/‎2019 at 08:14, Nicolo Barella said:

Ideally, of course. But it becomes very difficult to balance out the wishes and expectations of the rest of the squad when 4/5 are paid significantly more than the rest. Let's say we put Ricardo, Maddison, Tielemans, Vardy, and Schmeichel in and around 200k p/w. At the very LEAST, the likes of Ndidi, Chilwell, Soyuncu, are thinking, hang on, why are they getting paid double or more than me? I'm worth more than that judging by my performances on the pitch.

So then they get bumped up in and around 150k p/w, or we greatly risk losing them to other clubs. The knock on effect continues, until the point that even when we sign players, they will require more as a base salary when they join us. This not only can spiral out of control very quickly, it can be very hard to correct. Selling one of our assets every few years for the express purpose of covering salary is a very dangerous game as well.

What we're currently doing, incrementally increasing our player's salaries in proportion to our revenue growth, is really the most sensible and sustainable way of increasing our wage bill. 

Spot on. To grow the average squad wage organically as revenue streams increase due to improving performances bringing European competition, increased prize money and sponsorship etc is the proper way of going about it and we have some astute heads running our club who will totally understand that.  Some of the more intelligent players will also get it, and realise that pay is related to performance and loyalty (right and proper for senior players to be on better salaries as in any workplace).

However, this is FT and so none of that counts here and therefore we should just break the bank, pay them all £200K a week and then we can sign Renaldo and Messi (then wonder why we are skint and heading for administration again.)

In fairness, our players are not badly paid (when compared to the average for PL) and it is only the clubs that are owned by countries and the like that pay the silly money, and they cant sign all of players so I think we are on the right track and should not fear any sort of mass exodus.  Anyway, if a player wants to leave for even bigger wages when they are already earning enough to retire with £Ms in the bank, then do we really want them here? We want players who want to come here and play for the club and all that it stands for (don't expect them to be fans) like Youri did.

• Like 2

On 07/11/2019 at 11:09, OntarioFox said:

It's 2028, and a 41-year old Vardy has just turned a Centre Back 22 years his junior to net his 300th Premier League goal and become the oldest goalscorer in Premier League history. For us, obviously.

:vardy:

the thought of a 41 year old manchild winding opposition fans up by cupping his ears brings tears of joy to my eyes!

• Like 1

On 02/11/2019 at 05:14, Nicolo Barella said:

This season? It's a bit disingenuous to pick and choose windows of play that suit yourself. What if around the end of Puel's tenure when Vardy generally was just in poor form and not having a great time, some Spurs fan said the exact same thing about Vardy? You'd be fuming.

It's the same with Kane. He's shown despite his team's general shocking performance that he's still one of the best. For what it's worth, which part of Kane's overall play is lacking do you think? His passing is generally much better than Vardy's, as much as it pains me to say it, his runs are fine (if slow), his workrate is undiminished... 

This season is just the season it’s become obvious at Spurs as well as for England. He’s never been good enough at holding his shape and playing for the team:

Kane lacks the discipline to be a centre forward, and as a result he distorts the entire shape of an attack. Like Rooney before him, he drops too deep when we don’t have possession, so in a game we’re being dominated we have no outlet. That is why England will be flat-track bullies, going out of tournaments at the first sign of class opponents, as long as he’s in the team. 

His shooting from 12-18 yards is his unique skill-no one hits it like he does from mid range, hence penalties being the main source of his international goals. He is justly selfish in front of goal, though his conversion is way below Vardy’s, and his passing from CM is great-he just shouldn’t be there!

I wouldn’t have him start for England. He’s great for turning 3-0 into 6-0, but in a tight game he’ll cost you the one or two opportunities you need to take.

1 hour ago, Oxfordfox83 said:

This season is just the season it’s become obvious at Spurs as well as for England. He’s never been good enough at holding his shape and playing for the team:

Kane lacks the discipline to be a centre forward, and as a result he distorts the entire shape of an attack. Like Rooney before him, he drops too deep when we don’t have possession, so in a game we’re being dominated we have no outlet. That is why England will be flat-track bullies, going out of tournaments at the first sign of class opponents, as long as he’s in the team. 

His shooting from 12-18 yards is his unique skill-no one hits it like he does from mid range, hence penalties being the main source of his international goals. He is justly selfish in front of goal, though his conversion is way below Vardy’s, and his passing from CM is great-he just shouldn’t be there!

I wouldn’t have him start for England. He’s great for turning 3-0 into 6-0, but in a tight game he’ll cost you the one or two opportunities you need to take.

You think he's dropping deep against orders? It's clearly a tactical decision imo, whether it's working or not is up to interpretation. The three seasons before last were all basically flawless from him, he's been having problems with the rest of Spurs, when they get back in order I've no doubt he'll return to form.