Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
smr

Better than England's first choice striker

He should be rewarded with a new contract on at least £200k a week. For his loyalty, incredible skills and fairness. He is one of the top top strikers in the league if not the world, but he does not get paid anywhere near that. Kante, Mahrez, Maguire etc are all on higher wages. Prevent the best leaving Leicester and pay them more.

On 25/10/2019 at 06:27, Nicolo Barella said:

I worship Vardy

But he's not better than Harry Kane, even after his ankles have been shot to shit. Kane is something else. He has everything Vardy does except pace, and so much more besides. Let's be happy with what we've got without bringing others down?

Imagine writing this this season. There are Spurs fans with more of a handle on reality. 

Kane has qualities, but his overall play is nothing to Vardy’s. Wouldn’t swap him for a massive wedge of cash

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Oxfordfox83 said:

Imagine writing this this season. There are Spurs fans with more of a handle on reality. 

Kane has qualities, but his overall play is nothing to Vardy’s. Wouldn’t swap him for a massive wedge of cash

Agree. Kane is a great individual striker, but when it comes to boosting others, Vardy is so much better. Spurs play better and is more threatening when Son plays without Kane: see last season as reference. He gets in the way and slows things down. Yes, he still produces fantastic goals, but the whole team becomes less threatening. They were so good when Kane was out. As soon as he came back, the team lacked that cutting edge that gave them that constant threat. This season they have been poor as well - is it because Kane is back?

Edited by Tom12345

6 hours ago, jayfox26 said:

It's a game of opinions and whilst I respect yours, I disagree. Whilst Kanes goalscoring record is impressive, I feel he is often the detriment of Spurs and England. Both play to him and when hes firing, that's great, when hes not both teams look dreadful. Vardy brings so much more than goals. His assist record is also very impressive. Kane, for me, doesn't do anywhere near what Vardy does for Leicester, for either Spurs or England. While Kane is an excellent player and has an impressive goal record, i genuinely don't think he's a better player than Vardy and I would never swap the 2 of them, even though Kane is much younger. We know, that even if Vardy doesn't score in a game, he will have contributed in other ways either with an assist or his movement allowing another player to score (Ricardo vs newcastle for example). If kane isn't scoring goals, he isn't doing very much in my opinion. 

I don't think saying Kane only offers goals is fair. His passing range is incredible, his holdup and linkup is generally great too. His crossing tends to be excellent as well. I know it's cheap to resort to YouTube compilations, but here's one for your perusal.

Whilst he and Spurs have been in awful form for close to a year now, he still finds ways to contribute to the team, which is in general disjointed and not in great form either. It should be noted that Vardy wasn't much use either under Puel.

They're both excellent players and Vardy is closer to Kane than most people give him credit, but Kane is incredibly good,  one of the greatest strikers in the world.

5 hours ago, Oxfordfox83 said:

This season? It's a bit disingenuous to pick and choose windows of play that suit yourself. What if around the end of Puel's tenure when Vardy generally was just in poor form and not having a great time, some Spurs fan said the exact same thing about Vardy? You'd be fuming.

It's the same with Kane. He's shown despite his team's general shocking performance that he's still one of the best. For what it's worth, which part of Kane's overall play is lacking do you think? His passing is generally much better than Vardy's, as much as it pains me to say it, his runs are fine (if slow), his workrate is undiminished... 

5 hours ago, Tom12345 said:

He should be rewarded with a new contract on at least £200k a week. For his loyalty, incredible skills and fairness. He is one of the top top strikers in the league if not the world, but he does not get paid anywhere near that. Kante, Mahrez, Maguire etc are all on higher wages. Prevent the best leaving Leicester and pay them more.

We should maybe give him a last pay package or something as a farewell to him later on, if we put him at £200k p/w our other players will hold us to ransom.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, jayfox26 said:

It's a game of opinions and whilst I respect yours, I disagree. Whilst Kanes goalscoring record is impressive, I feel he is often the detriment of Spurs and England. Both play to him and when hes firing, that's great, when hes not both teams look dreadful. Vardy brings so much more than goals. His assist record is also very impressive. Kane, for me, doesn't do anywhere near what Vardy does for Leicester, for either Spurs or England. While Kane is an excellent player and has an impressive goal record, i genuinely don't think he's a better player than Vardy and I would never swap the 2 of them, even though Kane is much younger. We know, that even if Vardy doesn't score in a game, he will have contributed in other ways either with an assist or his movement allowing another player to score (Ricardo vs newcastle for example). If kane isn't scoring goals, he isn't doing very much in my opinion. 

Exactly this. I just fail to see how he's better than Vardy. Vardy's got more to him, much quicker as well. Bias aside I'd choose Vardy instead of Kane if I was building my own Premier League team.

• Like 1

He once told Craig Shakespeare that he felt he wasn't good enough to make it in the Premier League and wanted to become a party rep in Ibiza... 

He's just scored 18 goals in his last 20 games under Brendan Rodgers and is the Premier League's top goal scorer. Phenomenal.
  • Like 1

On 02/11/2019 at 05:16, Nicolo Barella said:

We should maybe give him a last pay package or something as a farewell to him later on, if we put him at £200k p/w our other players will hold us to ransom.

Trouble is if we don't start paying these type of salaries to our top players we won't hold on to the likes of Maddison, Chilwell, Tielemans, Pereira etc... Vicious Circle. 

4 hours ago, weller54 said:

Trouble is if we don't start paying these type of salaries to our top players we won't hold on to the likes of Maddison, Chilwell, Tielemans, Pereira etc... Vicious Circle. 

Right, but if we do start to pay salaries like that, it only takes one player to fck things up massively - see Ozil with Arsenal, Griezmann with Atletico, etc. Obviously we should keep increasing our player's salaries, but until the point when we have the kind of multi-hundred million pound profit that the likes of Liverpool have, we should keep raising wages incrementally and not dish out obscene salaries like £200k+, which would be bound to cause problems down the line. A huge jump with any one player is risky.

• Like 1

His first against Southampton summed up for me the growing intelligence in his game. The spacial awareness to trap it and turn Yoshida was the sort of classy touch he's displaying more of in the box. Dare I say it, but a year or two ago he doesn't make that chance for himself.

He's also scoring headers more frequently too, as well as his off-the-shoulder runs and finishes which are "vintage" Vardy. He really is the complete striker.

Edited by OntarioFox
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Nicolo Barella said:

Right, but if we do start to pay salaries like that, it only takes one player to fck things up massively - see Ozil with Arsenal, Griezmann with Atletico, etc. Obviously we should keep increasing our player's salaries, but until the point when we have the kind of multi-hundred million pound profit that the likes of Liverpool have, we should keep raising wages incrementally and not dish out obscene salaries like £200k+, which would be bound to cause problems down the line. A huge jump with any one player is risky.

I'd rather commit the 60 odd million of Maguire money towards.funding elite salaries.for the 5/6 elite players we have

5 hours ago, Paninistickers said:

I'd rather commit the 60 odd million of Maguire money towards.funding elite salaries.for the 5/6 elite players we have

Two problems with that:

That £60 million is not a part of our regular cash flow, so once we've gone through the 5-10 players that we can boost salaries of with that money we have a problem with sustainability as more and more players that come to us demand higher salaries (which is inevitable once we start to increase them for players beyond those who have served us when winning the title).

We may also still be a sell to buy club. I'm not convinced, but our net spend over the past couple years is still very very low considering we have PL money and one season CL money. In which case, Maguire's money was either already spent or essential to next window.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Nicolo Barella said:

Agreed. We could have had a little bit of a problem with a little bloke called Marhez, lest we forget.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Nicolo Barella said:

Two problems with that:

That £60 million is not a part of our regular cash flow, so once we've gone through the 5-10 players that we can boost salaries of with that money we have a problem with sustainability as more and more players that come to us demand higher salaries (which is inevitable once we start to increase them for players beyond those who have served us when winning the title).

We may also still be a sell to buy club. I'm not convinced, but our net spend over the past couple years is still very very low considering we have PL money and one season CL money. In which case, Maguire's money was either already spent or essential to next window.

the first issue is solved by selling another asset ...... we will have plenty of them.  We aren’t talking about more than 4/5 players max on 150/200k.  That’s approx an additional 100m spend over four years. 

it becomes more and more about cute recruitment which we know is v tough .

the training ground will also help with recruitment 

the nett spend issue is also fascinating ..... is it part of the plan or have we just been fortunate with buying some gems ??  Looking at the five year cycle, I suspect we aren’t intending becoming a ‘cash splasher’ but we may have to short term to keep Brendan happy if he has an  expensive target or two in mind. that would mean that the increased salary option falls away. And Brendan is on record last week as staying that we can’t begin to compete with the big salaries. 

Under Puel when he wasn't scoring so many. People kept trying to convince me that he was losing his pace, I continued to argue that he hadn't, he was just slightly off form and his ability was being cramped by Puel's style of play. 

I'm not normally one to say I told you so. But in this case I will as the evidence is so clear.  Rodgers says in the article "All our tests and statistics show he is now faster than 2015." And his goal scoring record speaks for itself this season. 

Players don't decline just because they hit 30. This isn't FIFA. With the technology, sports science and knowledge of diets, body mass etc players are able to stay at peak fitness for much longer. 

While he's hungry for more, he'll continue to thrive. 

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Foxhateram said:

Under Puel when he wasn't scoring so many. People kept trying to convince me that he was losing his pace, I continued to argue that he hadn't, he was just slightly off form and his ability was being cramped by Puel's style of play. 

I'm not normally one to say I told you so. But in this case I will as the evidence is so clear.  Rodgers says in the article "All our tests and statistics show he is now faster than 2015." And his goal scoring record speaks for itself this season. 

Players don't decline just because they hit 30. This isn't FIFA. With the technology, sports science and knowledge of diets, body mass etc players are able to stay at peak fitness for much longer. 

While he's hungry for more, he'll continue to thrive. 

it’s weird - watching him live, season after season, I am certain that he isn’t as quick over 35 yards as he was in 15/16. BR says that pre season tests showed his pace was just as quick 

I maintain that the vardy of 15/16 would almost never be caught on a sprint from half way whereas the vardy of today is. 

• Like 1