Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
twoleftfeet

BBC Funding

2 minutes ago, Carl the Llama said:

When this argument comes up I'm convinced people are talking about different areas of the organisation.  For instance I would struggle to take anyone seriously who claimed their news output has had a left-wing bias for the past decade where off the top of my head they've displayed Corbyn as a Russian Commie and as Voldemort while Sunak gets depicted as Superman.  Again, this is news output.

Then you have the entertainment side of the company which does seem to have a generally left-wing lean with shows like HIGNFY.  The difference though is in the latter case most viewers should be well aware the views being discussed are individual opinions whereas when you have the news using visual imagery to imply that the opposition party are evil communists or the incumbents are heroes that's a lot more concerning in my opinion.

I'm referring to how the Political Parties and their supporting members/media view the BBC not individual members of the public although I'd guess it's as equally diverse.

Certainly I can recall when Labour were in power accusing them of being Tory supporters and again the opposite when Thatcher was in power. The longer a party is in power and the more mistakes they make the more they see the BBC as biased.

2 minutes ago, davieG said:

I'm referring to how the Political Parties and their supporting members/media view the BBC not individual members of the public although I'd guess it's as equally diverse.

Certainly I can recall when Labour were in power accusing them of being Tory supporters and again the opposite when Thatcher was in power. The longer a party is in power and the more mistakes they make the more they see the BBC as biased.

Ok, but it still remains the case that the only way I could rationalise a tory believing the BBC to be leftist is if that tory thinks it's the national broadcaster's duty to spin every story to present the government of the day in a positive light and any failure to do so must therefore be the outcome of bias.

7 minutes ago, Fox1norfolk said:

They have been repeating programs on this scale for far longer than 10 years. On some days it can be as much as 80%.

Producing new drama for prime time is expensive. I don't recall too many complaining when millions were watching the likes of Line Of Duty.  The nature programming is also highly thought of such as The Green Planet.

2 minutes ago, Foxdiamond said:

Producing new drama for prime time is expensive. I don't recall too many complaining when millions were watching the likes of Line Of Duty.  The nature programming is also highly thought of such as The Green Planet.

From my own experience of creating scripts for BBC Radio 4 the rates are the lowest in the commercial production world. So where does the £3.7 million go, certainly not to small independent production units.

4 minutes ago, Fox1norfolk said:

From my own experience of creating scripts for BBC Radio 4 the rates are the lowest in the commercial production world. So where does the £3.7 million go, certainly not to small independent production units.

Don't trust the Tories to maintain standards and save us money. It's the underlying political attack I don't like. 

3 hours ago, Milo said:

Does anyone know what the non-UK funding model is for the BBC? 

How do people from other countries access/pay for it? 

This doesn't relate to other countries paying for BBC but scandinavian countries have been abolishing their own licence fees however some have simply replaced this with a special income tax (Sweden) (1% but there is a maximum amount).

https://www.theguardian.com/media/2022/jan/16/what-could-replace-the-bbc-licence-fee

3 hours ago, An Away Move said:

Netflix and Amazon produce a tiny percentage of original content compared to the BBC for much worse value and that is without taking into account that they don't do news or radio. Conflating the debt of families with the license fee is also a disgusting tactic from our 'Culture Secretary'. It was the Tories who made pensioners start paying the license fee and they seem fine with doing ZERO about helping families with the cost of gas prices, which is the real thing that will push poorer families into greater debt.

The Licence fee is less then a £13.99 Netflix UHD plan ( I know SD and HD plans are cheaper but BBC does produce 4k programmes so this comparison is closest) which proves its great value for money.

I get that everyone gets fed up paying more an more subscriptions  Licence Fee, Netflix, Disney Plus, Amazon prime and then on top of all that you want sports you end up getting Virgin Media/BT Sport/Sky Sports (These last 3 are the over bloated over charging fodder that really need need to change and adapt not the BBC in comparison).  For me getting rid of the Licence fee isn't going to make much of a difference to reducing TV/Media costs. 

From a sports fan kind of view I think dropping the licence fee will help Sky/BT and Virgin Media continue with the overpriced status quo.  Leave the licence fee how it is at the minute and I think they are all going to struggle to attract people for anything other then broadband and Sports.  I was hoping that in turn they will struggle to pay the big bills for sports contracts and so Amazon Disney Netflix etc would get more into the sports game and charge a fairer price.

Edited by foxes1988

58 minutes ago, Fox1norfolk said:

Billion