Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
twoleftfeet

BBC Funding

2 minutes ago, LiberalFox said:

It just needs some thought as to the best payment model for the modern age but it's hard to seriously argue the BBC isn't worth it. It's arguably an important asset for British world influence too so ludicrous really that a conservative party should want to weaken it. 

I'm not sure the mob in charge want to conserve much of any value or prestige of our country. Akin to worst type of asset strippers

• Like 2

I probably don't want to see it go - but it surely needs a massive overhaul.

It rakes in an eye watering amount of money, and many people just don't think they get the value from it. If it is to be sustainable, and to continue through this younger generation and beyond then it needs to adapt.

For what it's worth, I grew up watching cricket, golf, F1 and occasionally football live on the BBC. I'm now stuck with Wimbledon and probably rhythm gymnastics or dressage, if I could be arsed to check. 

I don't watch much tv, but do listen to R4, which I'd be a bit lost without. So, no, not hugely great value for me.

Overblown, bloated, wasteful (do they really have to send 500 odd staff to cover the Olympics), and in need of a revamp, which they are notoriously resistant to.    

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Milo said:

I probably don't want to see it go - but it surely needs a massive overhaul.

It rakes in an eye watering amount of money, and many people just don't think they get the value from it. If it is to be sustainable, and to continue through this younger generation and beyond then it needs to adapt.

For what it's worth, I grew up watching cricket, golf, F1 and occasionally football live on the BBC. I'm now stuck with Wimbledon and probably rhythm gymnastics or dressage, if I could be arsed to check. 

I don't watch much tv, but do listen to R4, which I'd be a bit lost without. So, no, not hugely great value for me.

Overblown, bloated, wasteful (do they really have to send 500 odd staff to cover the Olympics), and in need of a revamp, which they are notoriously resistant to.    

You probably have to pay subscriptions for the sports you did enjoy. I'm not going to pretend that the BBC is perfect but I trust it far more than the government who use it as an easy target.  It is too easy to forget what the BBC offers. Even if not a fan we have to admit that programmes like  Strictly are popular across the generations from kids to elderly. I certainly don't want to watch the Olympics on commercial TV. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, LiberalFox said:

It just needs some thought as to the best payment model for the modern age but it's hard to seriously argue the BBC isn't worth it. It's arguably an important asset for British world influence too so ludicrous really that a conservative party should want to weaken it. 

Well they did it to the entire UK, so it’s not like they don’t have form for unjustifiable and short-sighted vandalism.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Foxdiamond said:

You probably have to pay subscriptions for the sports you did enjoy. I'm not going to pretend that the BBC is perfect but I trust it far more than the government who use it as an easy target.  It is too easy to forget what the BBC offers. Even if not a fan we have to admit that programmes like  Strictly are popular across the generations from kids to elderly. I certainly don't want to watch the Olympics on commercial TV. 

Watching any live event on commercial TV is so tedious. An ad break every 12 mins. It just doesn't work and destroys any excitement or tension. I genuinely hate the Sky/commercial TV coverage of live events but I fear that's the way we're heading. 

Edited by Parafox
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Parafox said:

Watching any live event on commercial TV is so tedious. An ad break every 12 mins. It just doesn't work and destroys any excitement or tension. I genuinely hate the Sky/commercial TV coverage of live events but I fear that's the way we're heading. 

AND IT'S LIVE! 

DDUE4TkSFC2qoVQGz7feKP-320-80.jpg

36 minutes ago, Fox1norfolk said:

But is it LIVE if it’s a repeat. Check- out BBC2 today over 60% of the programs for the days broadcasting are repeats. I think we have already paid for them first time round

This is due to the 30% cut in real terms to their budget over last 10 years

17 hours ago, LiberalFox said:

When people from countries around the world talk about the BBC they are always praising it and genuinely quite envious of it.  Sadly somehow in this country its institution is diminishing.  I don't think a lot of people would really appreciate what we've lost until its gone.

• Like 3

This is apt for the BBC and is what they're up against as everyone has their own view as to what the BBC should be doing

The following quote is attributed to the poet John Lydgate and later adapted by President Lincoln:

“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can't please all of the people all of the time”

• Like 1

1 hour ago, foxes1988 said:

When people from countries around the world talk about the BBC they are always praising it and genuinely quite envious of it.  Sadly somehow in this country its institution is diminishing.  I don't think a lot of people would really appreciate what we've lost until its gone.

Does anyone know what the non-UK funding model is for the BBC? 

How do people from other countries access/pay for it? 

2 minutes ago, Milo said:

Does anyone know what the non-UK funding model is for the BBC? 

How do people from other countries access/pay for it? 

They have a commercial subsidiary which creates and sells products abroad.

Viewers access it much as they do other channels; BBC America for example is available on basic cable in the US and is funded by adverts.

• Thanks 1

On 06/02/2020 at 11:07, foxy boxing said:

There is so much choice now with regards to what people can watch and how people can access their news that the Licence fee is becoming more and more irrelivent. the BBC needs to be more streamlined and cost effective in an age of Netflix and Amazon.

I for one would welcome the BBC becoming fully commercialized and the abolishment of the Licence fee. it would generate more money for the ailing BBC and help millions of families out of debt. it is a disgrace that i have to pay a fee to the BBC even if i don't use any of their services.

Netflix and Amazon produce a tiny percentage of original content compared to the BBC for much worse value and that is without taking into account that they don't do news or radio. Conflating the debt of families with the license fee is also a disgusting tactic from our 'Culture Secretary'. It was the Tories who made pensioners start paying the license fee and they seem fine with doing ZERO about helping families with the cost of gas prices, which is the real thing that will push poorer families into greater debt.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Sampson said:

So the BBC is the new Tory cultural scapegoat now they can't blame the EU then?

The thing about this that so many people can't see to process is that the BBC is indivisible from our Government. It is literally run by Tories. Ergo it cannot be 'Left-wing' after years of Tory interference. Just look at the picture of Corbyn they ran with on Newsnight. Left wing my anus!

https://images.app.goo.gl/sJNCeJiWYU8tZ8Qq6

No, the biggest con job is making people think the BBC is Leftie. Ironically there is a documentary on Netflix (Alas, I forget the name) about an influential group in America that has been working very hard to make the news over there ever more right wing since the 70s. We're seeing the same here. The end result is that people can't even contemplate alternative views as they become so 'out there'

Edited by An Away Move

1 hour ago, An Away Move said:

The thing about this that so many people can't see to process is that the BBC is indivisible from our Government. It is literally run by Tories. Ergo it cannot be 'Left-wing' after years of Tory interference. Just look at the picture of Corbyn they ran with on Newsnight. Left wing my anus!

https://images.app.goo.gl/sJNCeJiWYU8tZ8Qq6

No, the biggest con job is making people think the BBC is Leftie. Ironically there is a documentary on Netflix (Alas, I forget the name) about an influential group in America that has been working very hard to make the news over there ever more right wing since the 70s. We're seeing the same here. The end result is that people can't even contemplate alternative views as they become so 'out there'

I think you'll find its seen as Left wing when the Tories are in power and Right wing when Labour are in power.

19 minutes ago, davieG said:

I think you'll find its seen as Left wing when the Tories are in power and Right wing when Labour are in power.

When this argument comes up I'm convinced people are talking about different areas of the organisation.  For instance I would struggle to take anyone seriously who claimed their news output has had a left-wing bias for the past decade where off the top of my head they've displayed Corbyn as a Russian Commie and as Voldemort while Sunak gets depicted as Superman.  Again, this is news output.

Then you have the entertainment side of the company which does seem to have a generally left-wing lean with shows like HIGNFY.  The difference though is in the latter case most viewers should be well aware the views being discussed are individual opinions whereas when you have the news using visual imagery to imply that the opposition party are evil communists or the incumbents are heroes that's a lot more concerning in my opinion.