Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
twoleftfeet

BBC Funding

A lot of people I know like Netflix because they use other people's passwords or get stuff for free. I did read/hear a story which said they've already developed technology that will stop illegal viewing. They just want everyone to become so reliant on their service before they start using it. That's one reason why they're prepared to go into debt now; they think in the future they'll make it back. If that did happen I do wonder if some people's attitude might change.

I just think till they have a viable plan it's easier to charge the equivalent of roughly £13 a month with the licence; it will change one day, but it needs to be properly thought through - not just forced on the BBC. Part of the licence fee goes on all the infrastructure too.

For all it's faults I still think it does a lot of good. People rightly complain about some parts of the news, etc - but Netflix aren't sending people like Jeremy Bowen or John Simpson into warzones and covering all the costs and logistics.

Edited by Guesty
  • Like 1

I think the government should get rid of the BBC license fee simply for it's own good and it's own future. Eventually it will become unsustainable due to costs and they will have to resort to other revenue steams such as advertising but by that time all the other media suppliers will have taken up that advertising revenue. For it's own good, it needs to be independant sooner rather than later.

21 hours ago, ealingfox said:

It was a secret ballot, so how have they designated? Did they survey each and every person they've included in those statistics? Or did they just assume?

lol  Can you think of a single political figure that has appeared on the show that hasn't declared how they voted in it? Are we now at the point of wilfully ignoring bias we are prepared to pretend Nicola Sturgeon may have voted leave in the secret ballot?

Back on topic. It actually seems people are in the same tent of idea.

Vast majority agrees that;

The BBC should stay.

The BBC is good value.

The content of news and programming is excellent.

It provides numerous vital services others wont do.

The point is always going to be the fee and how it is paid - it certainly can't go on being effectively a stealth tax though.

I rarely watch BBC TV but I really love their website. There's just so much good stuff on there.

It's not just about news, it's more like a magazine with my favourite sections being on tech, science, art, culture, music. There's plenty of other topics too.

It's probably my favourite website and I'm happy to pay what I see as a subscription. I do think it's a bit high though, and I agree with the earlier

poster that it shouldn't be a place for high-earners.

7 hours ago, yorkie1999 said:

I think the government should get rid of the BBC license fee simply for it's own good and it's own future. Eventually it will become unsustainable due to costs and they will have to resort to other revenue steams such as advertising but by that time all the other media suppliers will have taken up that advertising revenue. For it's own good, it needs to be independant sooner rather than later.

It can be done without advertising, Netflix and amazon don’t have adverts.

If they made it optional/subscription but opened it up to the world. With expats and a few extra foreigners could they make even more revenue?

5 hours ago, MattP said:

lol  Can you think of a single political figure that has appeared on the show that hasn't declared how they voted in it? Are we now at the point of wilfully ignoring bias we are prepared to pretend Nicola Sturgeon may have voted leave in the secret ballot?

Back on topic. It actually seems people are in the same tent of idea.

Vast majority agrees that;

The BBC should stay.

The BBC is good value.

The content of news and programming is excellent.

It provides numerous vital services others wont do.

The point is always going to be the fee and how it is paid - it certainly can't go on being effectively a stealth tax though.

If anyone thinks BBC Asian Network is good value etc, they should be shot

2 hours ago, Line-X said:

A $12.43m operational deficit and a streaming service propped up by a global e-commerce business. 

Is that because they are operating beyond their means or is it because debt can be considered a good thing especially in large corporations? Genuinely don't know, it's just a thought because debt is everywhere. Aren't Youtube, Uber and other huge businesses in debt also? Even our owners are in 'debt' by taking out a bank loan to pay for our training ground. 

13 hours ago, Shane said:

Is that because they are operating beyond their means or is it because debt can be considered a good thing especially in large corporations? Genuinely don't know, it's just a thought because debt is everywhere. Aren't Youtube, Uber and other huge businesses in debt also? Even our owners are in 'debt' by taking out a bank loan to pay for our training ground. 

Pretty sure this is the last deficit year for Netfix, according to them (?). 

Their plan was always based on a longish term investment model, so early losses are planned for. 

• Thanks 1

• 1 year later...
On 08/02/2020 at 17:16, Strokes said:

It can be done without advertising, Netflix and amazon don’t have adverts.

If they made it optional/subscription but opened it up to the world. With expats and a few extra foreigners could they make even more revenue?

How would you charge for listening to BBC radio ? I have no doubt this is a political anti BBC move by the Tories. Surely the licence fee is good value compared against other subscription services. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Foxdiamond said:

How would you charge for listening to BBC radio ? I have no doubt this is a political anti BBC move by the Tories. Surely the licence fee is good value compared against other subscription services. 

Its the compulsory nature of it that simply doesn't fly anymore.  It is a tax for TV.