Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
turkish14

15/16-19/20-20/21 Season comparison

6 hours ago, brucey said:

Hasn't top 4 been guaranteed CL for a few years now? 

If Chelsea or Liverpool win the CL and finish outside the top 4 and Arsenal or Spurs or Man Utd win the Europa League and finish outside the top 4 then they will qualify for the CL and the club which finishes 4th will drop into the Europa League for next season. UEFA have a rule that no country can have more than 5 teams entered in the CL in any one season.

I think both Arsenal and Spurs will prioritise the Europa League now as their best route into the CL. And it isn't that difficult to envisage Liverpool or Chelsea winning the CL and finishing 5th or 6th. So in my opinion the scenario needs to be borne in mind.

17 hours ago, Koke said:

Football wise, August 2019 to January 2020 is the best football I've ever seen City play. We were truly sensational.

Can I make a slight edit on this....August 2019 to December 14th pre the Norwich game. After that we were patchy, but I get your point.

We are winning a lot of games by just one goal this year and not playing amazingly well. It's a good sign. Fingers crossed.

6 hours ago, HighPeakFox said:

I have a feeling the OP might have been in receipt of bum information.

I've explained it in an earlier post. It's because there's a possibility that both the Champions League and the Europa League might be won this season by English teams who don't finish in the top 4, i.e Chelsea or Liverpool and Arsenal or Tottenham or even Man Utd.  And if that happens there would be 6 teams from the Premier League qualifying for the CL, whereas UEFA rules state that no country can have more than 5.  The club who finished 4th will lose out. Mark my words, it could well come to that.

Whatever happens what a time it is to be a Leicester City fan, it’s just amazing, the squad, the owners, the manager, the scouting network, it’s fantastic.

We are in a place I’d never of believed all those years ago, some of us go back further than others but whenever you were born these last few years have surpassed anything anyone of us could of imagined! 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, ceredigion said:

I've explained it in an earlier post. It's because there's a possibility that both the Champions League and the Europa League might be won this season by English teams who don't finish in the top 4, i.e Chelsea or Liverpool and Arsenal or Tottenham or even Man Utd.  And if that happens there would be 6 teams from the Premier League qualifying for the CL, whereas UEFA rules state that no country can have more than 5.  The club who finished 4th will lose out. Mark my words, it could well come to that.

OK thank you. I hope that either you're wrong (I suspect you're not) or that this eventuality doesn't come to pass - it is somewhat remote, I'd like to think.

Just in the interests of a data perspective on this (and because I had nothing better to do on a Monday afternoon besides work... :ph34r:), here are some side-by-side comparisons presented without comment. Data taken from here on a GW-by-GW basis, so some things are slightly out as I'm not sure what criteria they used for assigning rearranged fixtures/games in hand etc (for instance, we've not left the top 4 all season but the graph indicates otherwise).

(Edit: Top challenger is the highest ranked non-LCFC team, so either 1st or 2nd place in the PL)

99307486_Screenshot2021-02-22at16_34_41.png.29f648cd6f8b6c73eb2790673406005f.png

676590299_Screenshot2021-02-22at16_34_55.thumb.png.5065231a62e9d8568329ca3635497f47.png

1160412263_Screenshot2021-02-22at16_35_09.thumb.png.ba41a84b533e4c38fffc8fdf3b2bc13c.png

1328097816_Screenshot2021-02-22at16_35_58.thumb.png.894cd18ef0bf26900e652363e306976c.png

Edited by Xen
  • Like 1

There's definitely a 5 team limit per country on the CL. It's been in place for about 7 years. It came in when the Europa League winners were awarded a place in the subsequent season's CL.

There's still a long way to go, but while the 5 teams I mentioned continue to progress and continue to remain outside the top 4, as they are at the moment (with the exception of Man Utd), then it becomes more and more possible. Liverpool and Spurs are already as good as through. Arsenal got an 1-1 draw at Benfica, so they're not home and dry yet and Chelsea haven't played their first leg against A Madrid yet, so we'll have to wait and see. 

20 minutes ago, ceredigion said:

There's definitely a 5 team limit per country on the CL. It's been in place for about 7 years. It came in when the Europa League winners were awarded a place in the subsequent season's CL.

There's still a long way to go, but while the 5 teams I mentioned continue to progress and continue to remain outside the top 4, as they are at the moment (with the exception of Man Utd), then it becomes more and more possible. Liverpool and Spurs are already as good as through. Arsenal got an 1-1 draw at Benfica, so they're not home and dry yet and Chelsea haven't played their first leg against A Madrid yet, so we'll have to wait and see. 

Of course. It take a heck of a lot to win it though, so I'm not going to lose all my savings lumping on the remote chance.