Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
turkish14

15/16-19/20-20/21 Season comparison

Apologies if this has already been highlighted.

we are on exactly the same points (49) at this stage (25 games) as we were last season, which was the 2-2 home draw v Chelsea.

But also we are only 4 points off the title winning season, which at the 25 game point we were on 53 points.

surely we will not nosedive as we did around this time last year? Thoughts?

how many points do you think we can achieve? From the 39 still available.

@ 25 games 

20/21: 49

19/20: 49

15/16: 53

@ At 30 games 

20/21:

19/20: 54

15/16: 63

@ 35 games 

20/21:

19/20: 59

15/16: 76

38 games 

20/21: 

19/20: 62

15/16: 81

Edited by turkish14

This is so difficult to predict - so many unknowns like we don’t know how many more injuries we will have to deal with or how far we will progress in the Europa etc.

Every game we win requires a huge effort - I just hope the injuries don’t catch up with us and we can pick up a few more wins in the coming games.

Interesting to compare the seasons though; and I think we’ll hold it together better than we did at the end of last term.

Last season our run in was:

Won - 3

Drew - 4

Lost - 6

We only picked up another 13 points and yet still finished 5th. If we’d have beaten Man Utd in the last game of the season we would still have made top four.

You’d like to think we’d win a few more this time around. Two or three more wins than last time (5 or 6 overall) might be all that we need 

The fly in the ointment might be that this season we are fighting on 3 fronts with the FA Cup and the Europa League still very much in play, which was not the case in either of the other two seasons. The further we go in the cup competition, the harder it will get to sustain league form. We will need all our players to be fit and ready.

It could become a real dilemma for Brendan because I think there's a good chance this season that finishing 4th in the league won't get a Champions League place next season.

But personally I want us to go as far as possible in all 3 competitions, as it's something the club has never really done before. 

The fact we are on the same amount of points as we were at this point last season shows just how good our early season form was, as the wheels had started to come off earlier I think. Famous last words but we look a lot more resilient this season. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, bovril said:

The fact we are on the same amount of points as we were at this point last season shows just how good our early season form was, as the wheels had started to come off earlier I think. Famous last words but we look a lot more resilient this season. 

If you mirror our games this season, it’s interesting to note now that we’ve picked up points against Everton, Liverpool and Villa which we didn’t achieve in the first half of the season. 

In other words, if we pick off the bottom half, we have a very good chance. 

35 minutes ago, Koke said:

Football wise, August 2019 to January 2020 is the best football I've ever seen City play. We were truly sensational.

But I think that's where we've learnt our lesson this season. Last season we were going at everyone with really high intensity which was working well during that period and we beat teams with some big results. I agree it's the best football I've seen from a Leicester team but it was naive of us in the big games to think we could do the same to Liverpool, Man City, etc.

This season we've blown some teams away but we've also taken a pragmatic approach to the so called bigger teams, which is more likely to get better results. Take Leeds for example, they're wonderful to watch but what they're doing won't allow them to win anything imo. 

• Like 1

I think we've learnt a lot from last season and are tougher mentally but also more flexible tactically.

Yesterday's game a case in point where first half we pressed hard and played our football and then sat back and dug in for the result in the second half.

Plus we have players like Barnes in excellent form, plus a fit Ndidi and the return of Castagne and Ricardo.

If we fall out of the top 4 I believe it'll be because others put an incredible run together, not because of our own form.

14 hours ago, ceredigion said:

The fly in the ointment might be that this season we are fighting on 3 fronts with the FA Cup and the Europa League still very much in play, which was not the case in either of the other two seasons. The further we go in the cup competition, the harder it will get to sustain league form. We will need all our players to be fit and ready.

It could become a real dilemma for Brendan because I think there's a good chance this season that finishing 4th in the league won't get a Champions League place next season.

But personally I want us to go as far as possible in all 3 competitions, as it's something the club has never really done before. 

Hasn't top 4 been guaranteed CL for a few years now? 

10 hours ago, FoxOnWheels said:

6 wins and 3 draws from final 13 games gives us 70 points and would expect that to be 4th atleast

8 wins and 5 defeats gets us 73 points.  I just can't see many challengers to our top 4 position if we get that and that should be the target.

Utd will get that or something close to it.  4th place could genuinely be between Chelsea and West Ham.

For Liverpool to get 73 points, their form would have to dramatically change.  They'd need 11 wins from 13 games.  Everton would need something similar.

46 minutes ago, Mapperleyfox said:

I think we've learnt a lot from last season and are tougher mentally but also more flexible tactically.

Yesterday's game a case in point where first half we pressed hard and played our football and then sat back and dug in for the result in the second half.

Plus we have players like Barnes in excellent form, plus a fit Ndidi and the return of Castagne and Ricardo.

If we fall out of the top 4 I believe it'll be because others put an incredible run together, not because of our own form.

As a current occupier of one of the spaces this doesn’t really make sense :D 

12 minutes ago, Aus Fox said:

Of the 13 league games we have left to play only West Ham, Man Utd and Crystal Palace managed to take points from us in the earlier fixtures this season.

If we managed to repeat our results against everyone we’d finish on 81 points and almost certainly top 2.

That would mean beating Man City

3 hours ago, nnfox said:

8 wins and 5 defeats gets us 73 points.  I just can't see many challengers to our top 4 position if we get that and that should be the target.

Utd will get that or something close to it.  4th place could genuinely be between Chelsea and West Ham.

For Liverpool to get 73 points, their form would have to dramatically change.  They'd need 11 wins from 13 games.  Everton would need something similar.

I agree mate just after last season I’m expecting the worse although we do seem to be able to win the tight matches now which we weren’t this time last season

Worth keeping in mind also that last season there were two places above us absolutely guaranteed as two unstoppable teams finished 1 and 2.

This year its only one team out on their own, meaning 3 champions league places are up for grabs, and there's a much more inconsistent 2-8.

If we keep up a bit of consistency for the next month we'll likely be out of reach even if we do slump tbh. 

• Like 1