Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Sparky

world cup play offs

Games just finished 1-0 to Trinidad & Tobago, no not a good game to watch but the better team here has won, Bahrain lost the plot at the end. :@:chant:

I'm just disgusted at the fact that a team like Bahrain, who got a massive 4 points in 6 games in their quali group and drew BOTH games against Uzbekistan (who themselves only got 5 points in 6 games), qualifying for the playoff on away goals, got the chance to go to the World Cup!! Bloody hell their record in the last 10 qualifying games is 1 win, 4 draws and 5 losses... :blink::huh:

I'm just disgusted at the fact that a team like Bahrain, who got a massive 4 points in 6 games in their quali group and drew BOTH games against Uzbekistan (who themselves only got 5 points in 6 games), qualifying for the playoff on away goals, got the chance to go to the World Cup!! Bloody hell their record in the last 10 qualifying games is 1 win, 4 draws and 5 losses... :blink::huh:

Good point. I'm all for exciting cup football, david v goliath stuff, but there's the danger of a few numpties getting in via the back door at the expense of some decent European/S.American sides. I think they could drop an African, a Middle-Eastern and an Asian side in favour of two European and a South American without losing the global flavour of the tournament.

The Bahrain situation is a bit of a joke. Still, they didn't get there, so more power to TNT. :)

Have to say, last night was the best night ever, awesome display by our Aussie lads. Schwarzer, two magnificent penalty saves, best player of all time! (maybe a slight exaggeration) Also Guus Hiddink what a legend.

FIFA seem to be of the opinion that having smaller teams and a world audience is better then the same old big teams every time. There has to be a balance, you can't give too many places to small nations despite the audience it could draw. It is a bit farcical however that Trinidad and Bahrain were fighting out for a place when Turkey aren't going to be there, and Holland at the last world cup.

I love to see unknown teams in the world cup!!! nobody had heard of Cameroon in Italia 90 and they were the highlight of the tournament, Senegal beating France in the opening game of 2002, That Saudi Arabian who ran the entire length of the pitch to score in USA 94, That crazy African whose name I don't know who ran out of the wall and kicked the ball away before the free kick was taken!! I know South Korea and Japan were the hosts last time it was great to see them doing so well

seeing things like this for me is what makes the world cup so special (although I am not old enough to have seen the last one!!!) I love to see teams that I have no idea who they are or who plays for them

I love to see unknown teams in the world cup!!! nobody had heard of Cameroon in Italia 90 and they were the highlight of the tournament, Senegal beating France in the opening game of 2002, That Saudi Arabian who ran the entire length of the pitch to score in USA 94, That crazy African whose name I don't know who ran out of the wall and kicked the ball away before the free kick was taken!! I know South Korea and Japan were the hosts last time it was great to see them doing so well

seeing things like this for me is what makes the world cup so special (although I am not old enough to have seen the last one!!!) I love to see teams that I have no idea who they are or who plays for them

That was classic! I'm trying to find a video clip of it now.

FIFA seem to be of the opinion that having smaller teams and a world audience is better then the same old big teams every time. There has to be a balance, you can't give too many places to small nations despite the audience it could draw. It is a bit farcical however that Trinidad and Bahrain were fighting out for a place when Turkey aren't going to be there, and Holland at the last world cup.

Where's the farce?

No team has ever won a World Cup without beating a few first-class opponents along the way.

The qualification tournaments are all part of the World Cup and the showcase event with 32 teams is the "final."

If Turkey lost their playoff against Switzerland and now they're done, fair-and-square. They had their shot in the group stage but finished second. They had their shot in the playoffs but failed. I can't say that their absence from the WC Finals next summer is a "farce."

If you want a tournament with more European teams, check out Euro 2008 in a few years.

On a side note, I'm very pleased that CONCACAF, thanks to T&T, has four teams in the 2006 World Cup--the same number of teams as Asia (the most populous continent) and South America (home to three World Cup champions). :thumbup:

Where's the farce?

No team has ever won a World Cup without beating a few first-class opponents along the way.

The qualification tournaments are all part of the World Cup and the showcase event with 32 teams is the "final."

If Turkey lost their playoff against Switzerland and now they're done, fair-and-square. They had their shot in the group stage but finished second. They had their shot in the playoffs but failed. I can't say that their absence from the WC Finals next summer is a "farce."

If you want a tournament with more European teams, check out Euro 2008 in a few years.

On a side note, I'm very pleased that CONCACAF, thanks to T&T, has four teams in the 2006 World Cup--the same number of teams as Asia (the most populous continent) and South America (home to three World Cup champions). :thumbup:

Pfft your only saying that cos you get easy qualification <_<

this is the WORLD CUP not THE BEST TEAMS CUP

and so every team thats in the world cup next year has earnt thier way there.. and not because they are deemed 'better' than others

I think that says it all!!! :thumbup:

Archived