Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Jump to content
Sly

The Running Thread (formerly How fast can you run a 5k?)

Recommended Posts

Posted

Not sure whether to call it a day with running. My knees are cracking like mad and around the knee caps there feels like constant pressure after any sort of longer run. Maybe running on the treadmill is the answer but that just seems depressing! Any miracle cures?

  • Sad 1
Posted
41 minutes ago, deejdeej said:

Not sure whether to call it a day with running. My knees are cracking like mad and around the knee caps there feels like constant pressure after any sort of longer run. Maybe running on the treadmill is the answer but that just seems depressing! Any miracle cures?

I'd try and seek the professional opinion of someone experienced with runners and ask them to cut the bull shit and give it you straight on what needs to be done.

Posted
On 25/09/2026 at 15:37, VLC86 said:

I might be wrong, but I’m sure I saw something on Leicester in the community’s (the club account) promoting it on social media. If you contact them, I recon they’ll give you details.

This turned out to be correct. 
 

Mondays 7-8pm at GNG riverside ground. 
 

trying it out Monday coming 👍

Posted
4 hours ago, FLAN said:

This turned out to be correct. 
 

Mondays 7-8pm at GNG riverside ground. 
 

trying it out Monday coming 👍

Nice one, enjoy.

Posted
9 hours ago, Ric Flair said:

At somewhat of a cross roads with what I want to do next in running. This last year has been extremely fulfilling in doing my first marathon and ultra distance, but those two events and training blocks completely altered my previous running habits and goals.

 

After a period of prolonged recovery, i've set about a bit of a training block ahead of Leicester Half but as i'm becoming more experienced a runner i'm feeling less structured recently. Fitness levels are likely much stronger than a year - 18 months ago but I actually think over shorter distances I was quicker. I intend to try and PB a HM next weekend and yet my 5km and possibly even 10km PBs i'd struggle to beat right now if I full sent it.

 

Not sure whether to focus more on some shorter stuff next year and enjoy the love/hate relationship of that, I don't actually like the feeling of pushing it to the max but am competitive with myself.

 

I also am tempted by another ultra, but this time an official race rather than my own pilgrimage. The marathon and ultra took so much out of me this year and in terms of races i've done this year will be overall lower than the previous two and i'm equally torn on wanting to go for more experiences next year ala quantity over quality as I do enjoy the frequency of events and the day itself.

 

Wish I could do it all

In my opinion, everyone would benefit from improving their 5/10km time - It will make you a better and more efficient runner. That will cascade down (or up in this case) to the longer distances nicely.

 

Having said that though, if you don't like it I wouldn't bother - Consistency is absolutely key with running and it's difficult to be consistent with something you really don't enjoy. It's normal to dread the harder sessions, but you probably need to enjoy them...at least a little bit anyway! :D

 

None of us are going to be pro's so it's a case of finding a balance between enjoyment and progressing your running really.

Posted
40 minutes ago, James_lcfc said:

In my opinion, everyone would benefit from improving their 5/10km time - It will make you a better and more efficient runner. That will cascade down (or up in this case) to the longer distances nicely.

 

Having said that though, if you don't like it I wouldn't bother - Consistency is absolutely key with running and it's difficult to be consistent with something you really don't enjoy. It's normal to dread the harder sessions, but you probably need to enjoy them...at least a little bit anyway! :D

 

None of us are going to be pro's so it's a case of finding a balance between enjoyment and progressing your running really.

I wholeheartedly agree, sharpening your pace over shorter distances will benefit the endurance too, in the same way that increasing volume and cardiovascular base can compliment the ability to keep pushing your body to max efforts. 

 

I actually like doing speed sessions but the feeling of running 5-10km at top end is not a nice feeling. It really hurts in a different way than the hurt comes from vast distances. Both when they arrive are horrible lets face it and you have to knuckle it.

 

Just plateaued big time when it comes to pace work. Been doing a sub 1hr 40 half marathon plan which has got me doing pace work at around 4:30 per km in short reps and then up to 4:40-4:50 for race pace efforts. The former I can do for a few km and the latter I can do for 10-15km OK, but i'm almost seeing no improvement in my top end speed. I used to be able to hold 5km at 4:20s for example. Not been able to hold a HM at 4:40 lets say but feel a bit more likely that could be achievable. 

 

Think i'm getting in the way of myself

Posted
10 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

I wholeheartedly agree, sharpening your pace over shorter distances will benefit the endurance too, in the same way that increasing volume and cardiovascular base can compliment the ability to keep pushing your body to max efforts. 

 

I actually like doing speed sessions but the feeling of running 5-10km at top end is not a nice feeling. It really hurts in a different way than the hurt comes from vast distances. Both when they arrive are horrible lets face it and you have to knuckle it.

 

Just plateaued big time when it comes to pace work. Been doing a sub 1hr 40 half marathon plan which has got me doing pace work at around 4:30 per km in short reps and then up to 4:40-4:50 for race pace efforts. The former I can do for a few km and the latter I can do for 10-15km OK, but i'm almost seeing no improvement in my top end speed. I used to be able to hold 5km at 4:20s for example. Not been able to hold a HM at 4:40 lets say but feel a bit more likely that could be achievable. 

 

Think i'm getting in the way of myself

Yeah the shorter distances are a different type of pain aren't they.

 

Sounds like you're stronger aerobically but lacking a bit of sharpness maybe. I've had some improvements over 5km recently doing 1 and 2 minute reps if you've tried them? So 16 x 1minute or 10 x 2 minutes off a minute slow jog/walk. I run those sessions very hard so can only really do it once per week. Also do a couple of longer rep threshold sessions per week.

 

Recovery is a big part of it though - Bed early on hard run days and good nutrition or you're wasting your time...especially as you get into your 40's. Alcohol will ruin you as well!

Posted
3 minutes ago, James_lcfc said:

Yeah the shorter distances are a different type of pain aren't they.

 

Sounds like you're stronger aerobically but lacking a bit of sharpness maybe. I've had some improvements over 5km recently doing 1 and 2 minute reps if you've tried them? So 16 x 1minute or 10 x 2 minutes off a minute slow jog/walk. I run those sessions very hard so can only really do it once per week. Also do a couple of longer rep threshold sessions per week.

 

Recovery is a big part of it though - Bed early on hard run days and good nutrition or you're wasting your time...especially as you get into your 40's. Alcohol will ruin you as well!

Will try the reps, my block seems to have moved away from those 400-800 metre reps to threshold stuff, I.e. middle block of race pace either side of a longish warm up and cool down etc.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Unfortunately, your content contains terms that we do not allow. Please edit your content to remove the highlighted words below.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
×
×
  • Create New...