Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
weller54

Inquests

Anyone attended an Inquest?

My Niece took her own life in July last year after being hounded by her narcissist husband during their divorce proceedings...

She threw herself in front of a train 😪...

The inquest is next week. Any information/experience anyone has had would be appreciated.

• Sad 15

1 hour ago, weller54 said:

My Niece took her own life in July last year after being hounded by her narcissist husband during their divorce proceedings...

The inquest is next week. Any information/experience anyone has had would be appreciated.

Sorry to hear about your loss Weller54. The circumstances sound particularly sad. 

The document contained in the link below should be a useful starting point for you 

https://coronerscourtssupportservice.org.uk/wp-content/uploads/2018/11/CCSS-EL_Inquest_Factsheet_Final29317221_3.pdf

• Like 2

I’m so sorry to hear the news. I do know that you will probably hear some heartless words and phrases that might make some of you angry. They will probably come to some conclusions that anger you too.  It might not be all negative but be prepared that some of it will be.

Much love to you and your family.

• Like 4

30 minutes ago, MPH said:

I’m so sorry to hear the news. I do know that you will probably hear some heartless words and phrases that might make some of you angry. They will probably come to some conclusions that anger you too.  It might not be all negative but be prepared that some of it will be.

Much love to you and your family.

Thank you for your kind words.

The verdict should be domestic homicide...but of course it won't be 😪

• Sad 1

12 hours ago, weller54 said:

Firstly, sorry for your loss. I can't imagine what you and your family have had to go through.

The main bits of advice I would have would be to make sure that you, as a family, get the answers you want. I don't know if you have legal representation (as sometimes families do in cases like the one you've described), but you have the right yourselves too to question witnesses - so please do. It's your opportunity, so don't leave anything unsaid if you feel confident enough to speak up.

Also, be aware that journalists may be present as they too have the right to be there given inquests are held in public. Astonishingly, sometimes coroners and other court staff don't even make families aware of that nowadays so it can be a shock if they see coverage of the hearing in the paper a few days later.

The chances are, if there is a reporter there, they will want to speak to you and your family after the verdict. It's up to you whether you choose to or not, but they're duty-bound to report a fair and accurate summary of what they hear in the hearing itself so anything you choose to say to them may also help to inform their coverage (i.e. tributes you want to pay to your niece etc). There are very strict rules they also have to follow when it comes to reporting on deaths like your niece's too. Parts of this may be helpful to you:

https://www.ipso.co.uk/media/2296/deaths-and-inquests-guidance.pdf

Like I say, hope you and your family get the answers you're looking for and some kind of closure from the experience. I've been to quite a few inquests in my time (though not for several years now) so feel free to DM me if you've got any specific questions and I'll try to help.

48 minutes ago, Voll Blau said:

Firstly, sorry for your loss. I can't imagine what you and your family have had to go through.

The main bits of advice I would have would be to make sure that you, as a family, get the answers you want. I don't know if you have legal representation (as sometimes families do in cases like the one you've described), but you have the right yourselves too to question witnesses - so please do. It's your opportunity, so don't leave anything unsaid if you feel confident enough to speak up.

Also, be aware that journalists may be present as they too have the right to be there given inquests are held in public. Astonishingly, sometimes coroners and other court staff don't even make families aware of that nowadays so it can be a shock if they see coverage of the hearing in the paper a few days later.

The chances are, if there is a reporter there, they will want to speak to you and your family after the verdict. It's up to you whether you choose to or not, but they're duty-bound to report a fair and accurate summary of what they hear in the hearing itself so anything you choose to say to them may also help to inform their coverage (i.e. tributes you want to pay to your niece etc). There are very strict rules they also have to follow when it comes to reporting on deaths like your niece's too. Parts of this may be helpful to you:

https://www.ipso.co.uk/media/2296/deaths-and-inquests-guidance.pdf

Like I say, hope you and your family get the answers you're looking for and some kind of closure from the experience. I've been to quite a few inquests in my time (though not for several years now) so feel free to DM me if you've got any specific questions and I'll try to help.

Thank you so much. Your post was very helpful indeed.

We have this organisation helping us with the inquest.

Screenshot_20230222_103341_com.android.chrome.jpg

• Like 1

My long term partner died suddenly at the age of 29 back in May of last year and her inquest wasn’t until the December just gone, so I can give some fairly recent experience of attending one.

They mainly just go over the story including when/where/how/who. It’s not the best thing to listen to, obviously, but for me personally it helped to bring some form of closure. It’s also very good advice received further regarding the potential for a journalist to be present. There was one present at the inquest I attended and a member of staff made us aware of this prior to it commencing. He did ask questions after the hearing and you don’t have to answer them. If you have any questions then feel free to message. Sorry for your loss. 

Edited by boosmanana
mistake
  • Sad 3

17 hours ago, weller54 said:

Was my job for a few years. Represented the Trust at coroner’s routinely whilst completing reports and giving evidence. Anything I can help with drop me a dm? And I know of support groups for those bereaved by suicide. Hope you And the family are ok. 

Edited by casablancas

8 hours ago, boosmanana said:

My long term partner died suddenly at the age of 29 back in May of last year and her inquest wasn’t until the December just gone, so I can give some fairly recent experience of attending one.

They mainly just go over the story including when/where/how/who. It’s not the best thing to listen to, obviously, but for me personally it helped to bring some form of closure. It’s also very good advice received further regarding the potential for a journalist to be present. There was one present at the inquest I attended and a member of staff made us aware of this prior to it commencing. He did ask questions after the hearing and you don’t have to answer them. If you have any questions then feel free to message. Sorry for your loss. 

Thank you, and so sorry for your loss too 😪

4 hours ago, casablancas said:

Was my job for a few years. Represented the Trust at coroner’s routinely whilst completing reports and giving evidence. Anything I can help with drop me a dm? And I know of support groups for those bereaved by suicide. Hope you And the family are ok. 

Many thanks for your help and support.

My main aim is to not let her narcissistic, coercive husband get away with what he done!!!

1 hour ago, weller54 said:

Many thanks for your help and support.

My main aim is to not let her narcissistic, coercive husband get away with what he done!!!

If it’s a decent coroner he/she should have a handle on it. It’s a court of law after all. HMC tend to only have 4 aims. Be prepared for media as well man. I’ve had scum attend multiple inquests. If there’s anything I can do to support holla

• Like 1