Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Daggers

MS Flight Simulator

I don’t know what’s happening to me, I’m feeling a compulsion to buy the sim plus a Thrustmaster Boeing controller pack.

Never been remotely interested in flight stuff, yet here I am having watched a ton of videos.

Anyone a pretend pilot?

1 hour ago, Daggers said:

I don’t know what’s happening to me, I’m feeling a compulsion to buy the sim plus a Thrustmaster Boeing controller pack.

Never been remotely interested in flight stuff, yet here I am having watched a ton of videos.

Anyone a pretend pilot?

I did actually attained my pilots license in 1989. Much of that was to get over my fear of flying. 

After I stopped flying due to "I can't be arsed issues" I bought the MS program which I didn't take to.  Later in  the noughties I bought XPlane 10 which I really enjoyed. I can't speak to the likeness or reality to flying large jets but the Cessna 170 is quite true to the real thing.

PS I'm sure 20 years later all of the flight sim programs have improved immeasurably.

Edited by Smudge

5 minutes ago, Smudge said:

I did actually attained my pilots license in 1989. Much of that was to get over my fear of flying. 

After I stopped flying due to "I can't be arsed issues" I bought the MS program which I didn't take to.  Later in  the noughties I bought XPlane 10 which I really enjoyed. I can't speak to the likeness or reality to flying large jets but the Cessna 170 is quite true to the real thing.

PS I'm sure 20 years later all of the flight sim programs have improved immeasurably.

Well you’ll make for a miserable pretend teacher on Microsoft Teaching Simulator because I asked if anyone was a pretend pilot - and you is a real one. 😄 Respect. Especially if that approach was also applied to your fears of dentists, brain surgery and gang bangs with the Dallas Cowboys cheerleading squad..

From what I can work out, it’s pretty damn close, albeit with no functionality for some buttons and switches. So much so that I’ve been watching back to back comparisons of flying fake and real 787s.

Ive always wondering if I could answer the call after the flight crew share a poisoned burrito - turns out I reckon I could. Although it also turns out they’d probably never need to ask. I’m slightly crushed tbh.

• Haha 1

18 minutes ago, Daggers said:

Well you’ll make for a miserable pretend teacher on Microsoft Teaching Simulator because I asked if anyone was a pretend pilot - and you is a real one. 😄 Respect. Especially if that approach was also applied to your fears of dentists, brain surgery and gang bangs with the Dallas Cowboys cheerleading squad..

From what I can work out, it’s pretty damn close, albeit with no functionality for some buttons and switches. So much so that I’ve been watching back to back comparisons of flying fake and real 787s.

Ive always wondering if I could answer the call after the flight crew share a poisoned burrito - turns out I reckon I could. Although it also turns out they’d probably never need to ask. I’m slightly crushed tbh.

What you need is to build a cockpit in the garage. No not that kind of cockpit. You'll need three flat screen tv's left right and forward. A gaming computer with a gazillion thingy bits also with a graphics card that that allows you to land in real time.

If the foregoing is a bridge too far, a joystick and throttle control are absolutely necessary.

Never mind the burritos mate, it's the fish you have to watch out for

1 minute ago, Smudge said:

What you need is to build a cockpit in the garage. No not that kind of cockpit. You'll need three flat screen tv's left right and forward. A gaming computer with a gazillion thingy bits also with a graphics card that that allows you to land in real time.

If the foregoing is a bridge too far, a joystick and throttle control are absolutely necessary.

Never mind the burritos mate, it's the fish you have to watch out for

I just need one more monitor then. And the joyfully named Thrustmaster.

On 17/04/2023 at 23:31, Daggers said:

Anyone a pretend pilot?

Do it. 

I can’t recommend the TM Boeing pack enough. Also, if you’re really serious and enjoying it, get yourself a VR headset if you haven’t already got one, it’s amazing.

16 minutes ago, Trumpet said:

Do it. 

I can’t recommend the TM Boeing pack enough. Also, if you’re really serious and enjoying it, get yourself a VR headset if you haven’t already got one, it’s amazing.

I’ve never been remotely interested in VR, I know i’ll hate it because I hate anything on my face. Diving worked because it was at most 45 minutes, and by the end I’m getting pretty narked with the mask.

On 19/04/2023 at 17:51, Daggers said:

I’ve never been remotely interested in VR, I know i’ll hate it because I hate anything on my face. Diving worked because it was at most 45 minutes, and by the end I’m getting pretty narked with the mask.

Yeah, it’s definitely not for everyone. What I tend to do is the pre flight set up, takeoff and then landing in VR. It’s dead easy to alternate between monitors and VR in MSFS in play, which is nice.

VR aside, the Boeing yoke is fantastic, would set you up for just testing the waters and getting into flight simming, all the way through to a 9 hour flight across the pond. 

• Like 1