Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Mark

Tommy Wright joins Barnsley

http://home.skysports.com/list.asp?hlid=34...hannel=league_1

Barnsley have moved two days before the January transfer window to land Leicester City striker Tommy Wright for £50,000.

The 21-year-old, who made 12 appearances while on loan with League One rivals Blackpool this season, has agreed a deal until the summer of 2008 with Andy Ritchie's side.

The Tykes boss will be delighted to have secured the services of a new striker, having failed with a move for new Rangers signing Kris Boyd.

After struggling to make an impression with The Foxes, Wright expressed his pleasure at moving to Oakwell for the New Year.

"I am absolutely delighted to be signing on at Oakwell and just cannot wait to get my first goal in a Barnsley shirt," Wright told the club's official website.

"When I knew that Barnsley were interested, there was no question about where I was going and agreeing the deal was straight forward.

"It was hard to leave Leicester in one way because I had been with them since I was nine years old.

"However, I am not stupid and I knew the writing was on the wall when I was sent out to Blackpool.

"I am an ambitious player and I believe this club can take me to where I want to be."

Wright's arrival comes as another Barnsley striker in Marc Richards signed an 18-month extension with the South Yorkshire outfit.

The former Blackburn Rovers hit-man's new deal keeps him at the club until the summer of 2007, having initially signed a six-month contract following his summer move from Northampton Town.

Good luck to him, hopefully he can fulfil his potential there.

Shame to see a Leicester lad who wanted to play for his club leave as he was'nt in favour with CL.

Im sure he'd of gave 110 % and would of scored 3 or 4 goals in the recent months,something that others are'nt doing.

Good luck Tommy

He's not the first lad from Leicester who has left the club because they weren't in Levein's plans. Matt Heath loves Leicester too but that's life. He's had to move on and continue his career with Coventry as has Tommy with Barnsley. It would seem that no other Championship side felt Wright was good enough for this level at this moment in time either or they would've signed him. Good luck to him but in all honesty I feel he's found his level.

Yep, £50k is a good amount for somebody who's played hardly any games for us. Good luck to him but I won't expect him to play at any higher a level than League 1.

Good luck to him. He's a Leicester fan, and he tried his best when he was with us, but he was simply not good enough. Seems a decent move for him considering how well Barnsley are doing at the moment.

... he was simply not good enough.

I haven't seen him playing much... what are you referring to?

Also, he did score while out on loan.

All strikers go through dry spells (don't we know it...). What is the best way to "measure up" a striker?

Some impressive showings from the bench, including a vital goal in the derby with Nottingham Forest which helped the side return to the Barclaycard Premiership, i liked the lad tbh, just cant believe Blackpool never came in for him.

I thought they had an option which meant they could sign him for £100K when his loan spell finished? From what I've read, the Blackpool fans had taken to him.

I thought they had an option which meant they could sign him for £100K when his loan spell finished? From what I've read, the Blackpool fans had taken to him.

They have, i live in blackpool, and get to a few games, but dunno wots going on, maybe Oyston is being hard up with his cash he says hes never got and not letting Grayson buy players. :huh:

Archived