Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Leicester Lass

Smithy

Ryan Smith  

61 members have voted

1. 1. Does he give an end product?

• Yes
    • No

I know he must be hot property if he is tipped by Arsenal as the next big thing but sometimes I think the final product isn't there. Your thoughts?

For me He fials to get to the byline often enough. He tends to take on and beat his first defender then looks to sling the ball in from deep. I feel he should hit the byline more and look to cut the ball back or at least get further forward and play a square ball in

Stick him in a quality team and you'll see the difference!

Maybe not, his quality stands out in our team because we're so poor. In a quality team he may seem a little more mediocre. This thread may give the opinion that I don't like Smithy but I think he is one for the future, and I'm glad we've got him until the rest of the season, he's one of the few players that wears his heart on his sleeve.

Maybe not, his quality stands out in our team because we're so poor. In a quality team he may seem a little more mediocre. This thread may give the opinion that I don't like Smithy but I think he is one for the future, and I'm glad we've got him until the rest of the season, he's one of the few players that wears his heart on his sleeve.

In a quality team he'll have less of a workload, he'll have a lot more freedom on the ball, players will be making spaces for him to run into, he'll rip most average premiership defences apart.

Maybe not this season, but next season he'll breeze into the Arsenal squad, it's a shame, but I doubt he'll get the chance to play with Henry on a regular basis, because I reckon they'd play well together.

please define final product for me.

Seems to me that sometimes he'll go past a couple of defenders and then lose sight of exactly what he's supposed to be doing and either play a poor pass, pass into a space where no-one is, try to take on one defender too many or make some sort of poor decision.

Naturally, because he's 'Smudger the Saviour' he doesn't recieve any criticism for this. The reason being, which I can emphasise with, is that a lot of his runs do end in something positive, he's breathed some life into the team and he pulls defenders to him and out of position which opens holes for other player to run into (we wish :P).

As to whether he's the final product? No, not yet and I doubt we'll see the best of him while he's with us.

His corner taking was rank against Narch. He has still been an asset to the side though. End product has been lacking in the past few games but he has played a lot and has been carrying a knock.

His confidence must now be as low as everyone else, all these crap results and sitting 21st in the table.

Upto Sheff Utd, he was exceptional, a breath of fresh air. Since then he's still been our best player in most of the games, but he seems to cross way too deep too often instead of running at the opposition as he did when he first arrived.

But he'll come good again, it's all part of learning.

The problem for Smith is that it doesn't matter where he crosses the ball from, they'll never be put away as the 3 strikers we play regularly aren't good enough in the air. Hume is the better of the 3 in the air but his height means it's food and drink for most defenders when crosses come in. de Vries is absolutely atrocious at heading and I don't think i've seen Elvis get on the end of a cross before.

Smith seems to have lost confidence as have alot of our players in recent weeks, the fluency of our play has been replaced by aimless long balls like we saw against Norwich, you'd think Levein would tell the players that this route doesn't work unless you have some serious threat in the air, it's embrassing.

Smith has shown what he can do in games against Derby, Watford and Sheff United. Another problem is the other players aren't on the same wavelength as him, i'd be more inclined to play him behind the front two and give him licence to roam. Basically let him do what he wants and go solo if he can, we'd see more attacking play like that. Another thing is alot of our play goes down the right hand side or invariably over the top, Smith gets isolated on the left and why? Don't the players realise how effective Smith is compared to our useless right winger? It frustrates me so much and makes me wonder whther there's any sensible playing or coaching staff at our club to notice these basic fundamentals.

The longer he plays under Levein, the worse he will get.

He too, will soon be playing with an abundance of fear and complete lack of belief.

Although I now agree Levein isn't going to take us the places I want us to go, I don't think he's that bad a manager. Just out of his depth in this league and country.

He re-ignited Keith Gillespie's career even if it was brief, but did show he could get the best out of a player who looked to have shot it. He also turned Paul Hartley in to one of the best midfielders in the SPL and a decent international footballer after picking him up from the scrapheap at St. Johnstone. He also did the same with Andy Webster from Arbroath.

Although the man is turning in to a villain at this club, he shouldn't be made out to be clueless when he clearly isn't.

I would prefer it if Smudger didn't go to the by line.

If our strikers are hopeless in the air, why cross a high ball in? Rather have a through ball which cuts through the defence, a nice diagonal would be good. Our forwards are more likely to be through on goal that way. I saw far too many times when MDV was either beaten in the air or had his back to goal against Narch.

Archived