Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
C-man

Salary Cap?

Ok, i've got an english argumentative essay to do on this subject, so id like a few suggestions for 'FOR' and 'AGAINST' an introduction of the Salary Cap into British Football. The salary cap would be something around £15 million a year.

Thanks kindly in advance :thumbup:

I'll get the ball rolling:

For

It would stop periods of dominance of teams like Chelsea

Against

Some teams wouldn't have enough money to match Chelsea and Man Utd's salary cap, so they still wouldn't compete

Thanks again :D

If a team has a squad of 25 players being payed an average of £15,000 a week thats £375,000 a week then times that by 52 £19,500,000

So a i think a salray cap of £20,000,000 a year for all clubs would be good, would make the premiership alot more competitive i would have thought, with good players in most teams :D

If a team has a squad of 25 players being payed an average of £15,000 a week thats £375,000 a week then times that by 52 £19,500,000

So a i think a salray cap of £20,000,000 a year for all clubs would be good, would make the premiership alot more competitive i would have thought, with good players in most teams :D

It's a nice idea but wouldn't work. It would need to be bought in across Europe for one, which would lead to all the decent players buggering off to Spain and Italy to enjoy £15,000 a week, in half decent surroundings.

Manwell is right in that it would never work unless it is instituted all across Europe.

A more reasonable but far less egalitarian idea would be to institute a "luxury tax" whereby a certain threshold of spending for team payrolls is created. Clubs would still be able to spend as much money as they'd like on player wages, but any team that crosses that threshold would have to pay an annual "tax" on all money exceeding that number. The total tax pool would then be distributed amongst the "poorest" teams in the division following each season.

Manwell is right in that it would never work unless it is instituted all across Europe.

A more reasonable but far less egalitarian idea would be to institute a "luxury tax" whereby a certain threshold of spending for team payrolls is created. Clubs would still be able to spend as much money as they'd like on player wages, but any team that crosses that threshold would have to pay an annual "tax" on all money exceeding that number. The total tax pool would then be distributed amongst the "poorest" teams in the division following each season.

Is that how the salary cap works in the NFL? The NFL is a great example of how a salary cap can work, as there are hardly any periods of dominance by a particular team, the only exceptions being the Green Bay Packers in the Lombardi years and in recent years, the New England Patriots. Crap teams such as Chicago can go from the 4th worst team in the NFL to the 4th best team in the NFL in just one season. I wish this would be the case in Football so Chelsea and Man Utd wouldnt dominate for so long.

However, like you said Manwell is right, the better players would fock off, reducing the quality of the english game.

Richard Caborn MP (Minister for Sport) said that he would like the salary cap to be enforced everywhere in Europe.

Maybe a salary cap on single players would work. For example a club would only be able to have 3 players which earn over £50,000-a-week? Thoughts?

And thanks, this is all really helping with my essay :thumbup:

It would make the Premiership more interesting in terms of every team has a chance of winning it to be honest! Especially once things even out! BUT, all the best players wont be earning enough in their opinion and go abroad and after about 10 season you would see other leagues becoming more dominant, somewhat like the Premiership is now. As alwyas, there are Pros and Cons and there will never be a winning argument in these issues.

The NFL is a great example of how a salary cap can work, as there are hardly any periods of dominance by a particular team

Its also a great example of a sport with no relegation or promotion, and franchises instead of clubs. Grim. But then again, perhaps I've got a dewy-eyed view of football that doesn't really exist anymore?

It's a difficult one really. I don't want to see the game become more diluted than its become already, but Chelsea have distorted everything recently as they are the first club with literally bottomless pockets. Take them away and the Premiership would be wide open.

I think the bottom line (as pointed out before) is that it would be unworkable in the current European sporting and legal climate. And there are always ways around these things. For one, clubs could cease to own players, leasing them from other companies, as already happens I think. The company could provide the player to a club and pay the player what it likes as its employee. I don't see how the FA could tell an external company that it had to pay its employee this or that.

Is that how the salary cap works in the NFL? The NFL is a great example of how a salary cap can work, as there are hardly any periods of dominance by a particular team, the only exceptions being the Green Bay Packers in the Lombardi years and in recent years, the New England Patriots.

No. The NFL salary cap is very egalitarian and revenue is shared pretty much equally amongst the teams. All teams must be within a $10-million range. The NFL, as the only player in its game and with massive financial clout, can do this with great ease. With its isolation from competitive leagues, its franchise system, its massive league-wide television deals, huge stadia and its unique schedule (four months/16 games if you don't make the playoffs, five months if you go all the way), the NFL is a special case and really can't be compared to any other league/sport in the world (even in the U.S.) unless as a hypothetical situation of the benefits of a hard salary cap in a pro-cap argument.

(as a side remark, there are other exceptions to the "parity" trend, i.e. Steelers in the 70s, but it's never been like the Premier League with two teams having a duopoly on the title for a decade.)

The idea I've got in mind is more like what Major League Baseball is doing. Since the early 1990s, the gulf between the "haves" (particularly the teams in bigger metro areas) and the "have-nots" (teams in smaller metro areas) has become huge. The prime "culprits," of course, are the New York Yankees, who spent over $200 million on player salaries last season. By the time this gulf came to be a big enough (well, to some) problem in terms of establishing overall competitiveness, establishing a salary cap was impossible. Baseball uses a luxury-tax system (called the "competitive-balance tax) whereby any team that exceeds a certain annual payroll threshold (around $135 million) is taxed a certain percentage based upon years exceeding $135-million of all the money that does exceed that threshold. That money is then distributed amond the league's lowest payroll teams (I think the bottom five) The Yankees are due to pay $34 million in tax this year (about as much as the lowest-payroll team would spend on their entire team) and the Boston Red Sox $4 million.

It's not perfect but I guess it's something. I consider myself to be a progressive, left-oriented thinker but I'm also a Yankees fan so I'm caught in between :unsure:

The reason why I suggest a system similar to baseball's is that 1) like baseball now, the gap between the major clubs' spending--particularly Chelsea's--has grown so far as to make any real salary cap impossible to implement, 2) Either the teams that exceed the limit will be encouraged to trim their payrolls, adding at least some more parity (if only a little), or they'd be rich enough to afford the luxury tax anyway, and that money will filter down to clubs that could use it.

The reason why I suggest a system similar to baseball's is that 1) like baseball now, the gap between the major clubs' spending--particularly Chelsea's--has grown so far as to make any real salary cap impossible to implement, 2) Either the teams that exceed the limit will be encouraged to trim their payrolls, adding at least some more parity (if only a little), or they'd be rich enough to afford the luxury tax anyway, and that money will filter down to clubs that could use it.

Interesting stuff. Thanks for that.... :thumbup:

Archived