Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Shipman Out

LEFT BACK REQUIRED

Smith, like Sheehan is inexperienced - and so was Stearman at the beginning of the season but he's emerged well enough.

Smithy needs someone to encourage him to make more telling final passes. Look and Luton/Liverpool. How often were the final passes delivered on the floor to runners feet instead of being hit into the box hopefully.

At the moment Smith hits too many conventional crosses and we haven't got anyone who can get their heads on em.

He's willing enough to track back but really, I'd rather the central midfield players or left-side centre-back cover for the full-back when he attacks rather than continuallky wasting the wingers energy. It's the same with centre-forwards. They need sharpness off the mark and if they've been racing all over midfield, that sharpness isn't there.

We've conceded seven goals in our last four matches, and all those goals, and most of the rest this season, seem to come from our left (it's extraordinary).

Yet the only player who's not had an extended chance at left-back is our only natural left -back, Sheehan. And that despite the team conceding only one goal in the two League matches he did play and taking four points (play-offs potential had it been applied throughout the season).

Maybury made two mistakes which cost us the Tottenham goals yet (rightly) he's not been hammered for his performance. Certainly he was up against a brilliant opponent but if Sheehan had done what Maybury did he'd have been hammered for being too slow to close down, reckless in his tracking, inexperienced, unable to cope with Lennon's pace.

Why the double standards of judgement?

Both players would have struggled against Lennon, as would Nils. Kisnorbo, Tiatto, Stearman or anyone else.

Sheehan is our natural left-back and if Levein buys another I imagine he will leave and all that potential will be wasted for us. Shame that but I'd bet it happens.

I'm not so sure Sheehan would leave. I would add though that if CL isn't going to play him, why not let him go out on loan so he can learn his trade?

All this tracking back bollocks is pissing me off. Momo Sylla doesn't track back and neither do any of our other wingers. To be honest I thought Smith tracked back well in the second half against Spurs and although his tackling is poor he helped Maybury out which kept Lennon alot more quieter. It was Hamill who left Maybury mightily exposed in the first half.

Whenever I read other messageboards after we've played teams they all talk about 'Leicester's left winger' and many different teams have done so after the Spurs game and we hadn't even played these teams so what does that say?

He's not been as lively as he was a month or so ago but he's still often our best attacking player on the park. He certainly hasn't been at fault for any goals we've conceded, but he's created alot of our goals recently.

Didn't go to Stoke then? Was his fault for the 2nd goal.

Hes a good player but like at Palace, it annoyed me that Maybury would just give him the ball then just stand on the halfway line saying "go on,you do it" expecting Smith to take on two players and get a cross in, thats a difficult ask for even the top Wingers let alone an 18 year old learning his trade. In the last few games he has shown signs of getting a sense for defensive work, its all part of his learning curb. I just hope fans don't knock his confidence by moaning at him when he doesnt deliver a cross or beat their entire team.

What has Sheehan done wrong though? He seems to be at the bottom of the list to play the position. Why? Was it because he got sent off against Crewe and Levein thinks he is too hot-headed? This is my opinion on the Leicester 'left backs'.

Sheehan- The most natural and talented left back at the club.

Maybury- Solid, but often exposed. Limited passing ability from that position.

Johansson- The same as Maybury, but doesnt even get forward.

Twatto- Just crap really. Same as Maybury and Johansson.

I think Maybury's the best option we have for left-back at the minute as Tiatto & Sheehan, despite having th advantage of being naturally left footed, simply aren't good enough.

Agree about tiatto but Sheehan has never been given a real run in the side to prove whether he's good enough. As for Maybury he's very inconsistent in his play whether it's at right or left back. Also please don't sight Sheehan's sending off as justification because remember Maybury was Red carded for being much more immature than Sheehans offences.

Didn't go to Stoke then? Was his fault for the 2nd goal.

Hes a good player but like at Palace, it annoyed me that Maybury would just give him the ball then just stand on the halfway line saying "go on,you do it" expecting Smith to take on two players and get a cross in, thats a difficult ask for even the top Wingers let alone an 18 year old learning his trade. In the last few games he has shown signs of getting a sense for defensive work, its all part of his learning curb. I just hope fans don't knock his confidence by moaning at him when he doesnt deliver a cross or beat their entire team.

I vaguely remember Stoke's second goal, it was Dublin who wasn't marking Sidibe properly wasn't it? I can't remember Smith's contribution to their goal but i'm not saying he wasn't at fault.

Either the way, the lad is gifted and we should count ourselves lucky we have him. He's been the main source of setting up our goals in the past few months and if he'd gone back to Arsenal after christmas i'm sure we'd all have been gutted.

What has Sheehan done wrong though? He seems to be at the bottom of the list to play the position. Why? Was it because he got sent off against Crewe and Levein thinks he is too hot-headed? This is my opinion on the Leicester 'left backs'.

Sheehan- The most natural and talented left back at the club.

Maybury- Solid, but often exposed. Limited passing ability from that position.

Johansson- The same as Maybury, but doesnt even get forward.

Twatto- Just crap really. Same as Maybury and Johansson.

No good being the best left back at the club if you are not going to get a fair chance.Sheehan played against Plymouth,Sheffield Wednesday,Blackpool,and Crewe.He has never been on the loosing side in any of those four matches.The referee gave a silly yellow card in the first half of the Crewe game for a ball to hand.Why not give him three to four games in a row,so we will see the real Sheehan, and hopefully some of his free kicks.Who could blame the young Irish lad if he does not sign his new contract next week?

No good being the best left back at the club if you are not going to get a fair chance.Sheehan played against Plymouth,Sheffield Wednesday,Blackpool,and Crewe.He has never been on the loosing side in any of those four matches.The referee gave a silly yellow card in the first half of the Crewe game for a ball to hand.Why not give him three to four games in a row,so we will see the real Sheehan, and hopefully some of his free kicks.Who could blame the young Irish lad if he does not sign his new contract next week?

Me!. Having campaigned long and hard I'd hate all that effort to go to waste and for Leicester to lose potentially their best left back for years.

Mind you Sheehan was of course on the losing side once....when he came on for an extra-time cameo appearance against Bolton in the cup. With City 2-0 down he had a hand in the City goal and almost conjured up an equaliser for Dion Dublin. So even then, when he was actually on the park, Leicester scored one to Bolton's nil.

But Sheehan's worst enemy is not Levein, it's a few diehard City fans who refuse to give him a proper chance and who tear him to pieces for everything he ever does wrong yet conveniently overlook the many mistakes of their favourites (like Maybury and Nils).

Sheehan should never have been dropped after Sheffield Wednesday and had that been the case, we would not be as badly off as now because we'd have scored more goals and more goals for Leicester would have meant more points.

Me!. Having campaigned long and hard I'd hate all that effort to go to waste and for Leicester to lose potentially their best left back for years.

Mind you Sheehan was of course on the losing side once....when he came on for an extra-time cameo appearance against Bolton in the cup. With City 2-0 down he had a hand in the City goal and almost conjured up an equaliser for Dion Dublin. So even then, when he was actually on the park, Leicester scored one to Bolton's nil.

But Sheehan's worst enemy is not Levein, it's a few diehard City fans who refuse to give him a proper chance and who tear him to pieces for everything he ever does wrong yet conveniently overlook the many mistakes of their favourites (like Maybury and Nils).

Sheehan should never have been dropped after Sheffield Wednesday and had that been the case, we would not be as badly off as now because we'd have scored more goals and more goals for Leicester would have meant more points.

Thracian, I can't say Sheehan has received that treatment oulined by you whilst playing for us. The crowd has been supportive of him when he has played, which is the natural thing to do with any youngsters coming through.

He has received a bit of a slating on this forum, but that won't affect him - unless he's a reader of Foxestalk, which I highly doubt.

Thracian, I can't say Sheehan has received that treatment oulined by you whilst playing for us. The crowd has been supportive of him when he has played, which is the natural thing to do with any youngsters coming through.

He has received a bit of a slating on this forum, but that won't affect him - unless he's a reader of Foxestalk, which I highly doubt.

Indeed the crowd clapped him off the park after his sending off against Crewe but I didn't mention the crowd. The slating has been on here and on the other site and it has been pronounced which is ironic considering how many fans voted for him to be in the side.

I don't think he uses this site but I know very well that other members of team squads and/or their close associates do and that messages get back promptly enough both to the players and the manager (who hasn't picked him since despite virtually every goal we've conceded since having sourced through our left-back position).

He was pilloried Scowy. That was the word I used at the time and that was the truth.

You are an exceptional and experienced poster. Perhaps you could explain why that should be when it's other left-backs (who are only mildly criticised, if at all) who are making the mistakes that lead to the goals week by week.

It's as strange to me as Sylla being continually selected. That's another thing I'd like explained by someone because it sure baffles me.

Archived