Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Random Burglar

O'Neill leads England shortlist

O'Neill 'leads England shortlist'

Martin O'Neill is reportedly the Football Association's favourite to become the next England boss.

The FA held preliminary discussions this week with a view to appointing a successor to Sven-Goran Eriksson before the World Cup in June.

Stuart Pearce, Alan Curbishley and Guus Hiddink are also being considered, though reservations have reportedly been expressed over Sam Allardyce.

The FA has a three-man panel charged with finding the new manager.

They are FA chief executive Brian Barwick, international committee chairman Noel White and Premier League chairman Dave Richards.

The three men met this week and will report to FA chairman Geoff Thompson at the next board meeting on 27 February.

O'Neill has been out of management since he left Celtic at the end of last season to look after his ill wife Geraldine.

Hiddink is in charge of Dutch club PSV Eindhoven and the Australia national team, while Portugal's Brazilian coach Luis Felipe Scolari has also been mentioned.

Manchester City boss Pearce and Charlton manager Curbishley appear to be the two front-running English candidates.

Eriksson will step down as England boss after this summer's World Cup finals.

He's gonna be BRITISH (the new manager that is we already know O'Neill is!)

One of the committee members who will choose the next England boss says the man who replaces Sven-Goran Eriksson should be British.

Premier League chairman Dave Richards is a member of the three-man panel that will find Eriksson's successor.

"It's time for a British boss, somebody who understands our passion, belief and commitment. There's no distinction between English and British."

Richards' statement seems to hint at former Celtic manager Martin O'Neill.

Northern Irishman O'Neill has been widely reported as the FA's choice to succeed Swede Eriksson.

Richards, Football Association chief executive Brian Barwick and international committee chairman Noel White will present a list of candidates to a full meeting of the FA board on 27 February.

Manchester City boss Stuart Pearce, Charlton's Alan Curbishley and Sam Allardyce of Bolton are also said to be in the running.

"We are the biggest nation in the world that plays this game and we want someone who can really move us on," Richards added.

"I don't know yet who it will be. But everyone keeps telling me there are all these coaches available. Well, now we will sit down and find out just who is up for the job.

"We have still got a bit of time. We are going to go and win the World Cup first."

Eriksson will stand down as England manager following this year's World Cup finals in Germany.

Dutchman Guus Hiddink and Brazilian coach Luis Felipe Scolari have also been mentioned as possible replacements.

Hiddink is currently in charge of PSV Eindhoven and the Australia national team while Scolari will stand down as Portugal manager after the World Cup.

Sam Allardyce England Manager.

It could be the folluw to the Harry Bassett thing.

4-5-1. Long ball to Davies. Who gives it away, only for the opposition's skilful holding midfielder to be scythed down to a grafting, hard working, honest, thug.

No thanks.

To be fair to Big Sam, he plays that formation as it suits Bolton and the players they have. I'm sure if he had the quality of squad that England have, 4-5-1 will be out of the window.

He uses the squad they have to their strenghts.

To be fair to Big Sam, he plays that formation as it suits Bolton and the players they have. I'm sure if he had the quality of squad that England have, 4-5-1 will be out of the window.

He uses the squad they have to their strenghts.

Hasn't he bought all the players at Bolton, therefore he is buying players to fit a system not vice-versa!!

(Woo Hoo, reserve team.... ;))

Hasn't he bought all the players at Bolton, therefore he is buying players to fit a system not vice-versa!!

(Woo Hoo, reserve team.... ;))

Yes he has signed those players, but a on a shoestring remember....

Yeah.. he has. But then again, shrewd signings and direct effective play do not necessarily qualify one to manage side which has supposedly some of the best players in the world.

Picture it... hoofed from the back, bypassing Gerrard/Lampard/Beckham, straight to Crouch who shields the ball till he wins a free kick. All game.

Pearce U-turn on managers job.

Manchester City boss Stuart Pearce says he would be willing to talk to the Football Association about replacing Sven-Goran Eriksson as England manager.

Pearce's comments mark something of a U-turn after he previously said speculation linking him with the post was "pathetic" and "embarrassing".

Now Pearce, whose team play Charlton on Sunday, says: "It would be absolute folly to rule myself out of any job.

"And disrespectful not to talk to those who were offering me employment."

Eriksson is to stand down as England boss after the World Cup finals in Germany this summer.

Martin O'Neill, who is also being linked with the vacant post at Newcastle, is thought to be the leading candidate but Sam Allardyce, Alan Curbishley and Guus Hiddink are also being strongly linked.

Pearce has impressed during his brief spell in charge at Eastlands and his international experience as a player could go in his favour, but he admits he is not the best-qualified manager for the job.

"I'm a realist and the realism is that there are a lot of people better qualified than me," he added.

"I would have to have my chairman and the board's consent, but if I was invited I would go down there and be very open-minded about what they had to say."

Tottenham boss Martin Jol, however, believes fellow Dutchman Guus Hiddink could be the right man for the job.

Jol said: "In terms of his CV there has not been a coach quite so successful as him.

"He has so much experience having led Holland and South Korea to the semi-finals of the World Cup. He's a great coach, has won the European Cup and he's a great candidate."

But Hiddink, the PSV Eindhoven and Australia coach, may have damaged his chances by saying he would only take the job if he could go part-time for the first 12 months.

He is contracted to PSV until the summer of 2007.

"I will not break my contract with PSV but it is possible to take on the England duties as well for the first 12 months," he told the News of the World.

"It is something I have been able to do with the Australian national team.

"London is only one hour from where I live in Eindhoven so the distance will not be a problem.

"I am used to living out of a suitcase. It has worked for me in the past."

Stuart Pearce is a legend IMO (even if he was a tree hugger) the man is so hionest and upfront about everything, something that i admire greatly.

I wish every manager could be like him.

"We are the biggest nation in the world that plays this game..."

Really stretching the limits of poetic license there.

Anyway, say what you want about culture clash, but the whole notion that England needs an English or British manager is ludicrous. Language is an issue, but everything else is overrated. Was Guus Hiddink not "Korean" enough to lead his team to the 2002 semifinals? Was Otto Rehhagel a poor choice for Greece in 2004?

England needs a manager that's got an all-around good grasp on how to find the best eleven to suit each situation, can establish good rapport among his players, can handle difficult situations in the media with aplomb and doesn't get himself caught in compromising situations. We all know O'Neill is a great manager, but it doesn't matter whether or not he's from Ulster, Uxbridge or Ulaanbaatar--he'd still be a great manager.

Most importantly, however, England would benefit most by a change in attitude everywhere--the FA, players, coaches, fans and especially the media, who have been awful. Nowhere else in the world will you see big press companies doing their best to unsettle their national team's manager and the team itself when they've got a great chance to win the World Cup (and even before, perhaps from the day he took over). Why don't I hear and read more talk about England's role as favorites--have everybody taken this for granted, or is it because many are counting England out because of Eriksson?

The Premier League is filled with foreign stars. England's captain plays in Madrid. The managers of the current top five clubs are from Portugal, Scotland, Spain, France and the Netherlands. With the way the game has changed in our generation, I doubt that there's really a pressing need for the FA's insular attitude regarding choice for a new manager.

England should get the best manager of all that are interested and available. Martin O'Neill might be the best guy out there right now, but if the FA can't land him, they shouldn't let borders limit their search.

Sorry to dissapoint you but there is very little chance of Martin O'Neill taking the England job in the summer. The reason he quit Celtic was to be at home with his wife who is very ill and he always said he would eventually return to football but not while his wife needed him.

Archived