Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Newcastle_Fox

Andrew Murray Beats Andy Roddick

Murray stuns Roddick in San Jose

Andy Murray and Andy Roddick

Murray enjoyed his first win over a top-10 player

Britain's Andy Murray pulled off the biggest win of his young career as he stunned top seed Andy Roddick in the SAP Open semi-finals in San Jose.

The 18-year-old Scot reached his second ATP tour final with a 7-5 7-5 victory over the former US Open champion.

Roddick, 23, was looking for a hat-trick of victories in the event.

But Murray broke him in the 11th game of both sets to book a final date with Lleyton Hewitt, who beat American Vincent Spadea 6-3 6-4 in his semi.

"I was almost a little sick because of nerves but in the end I came though," Murray, the world number 60, said after his first win over a player ranked in the top 10.

"Beating Roddick in his home country is like a dream come true."

I couldn't get the ball to go through the court how I would have liked

Andy Roddick

Roddick had looked the more comfortable on his serve in the opening set until Murray showed impeccable timing to break him at 5-5 and serve out the set.

The Dunblane teenager looked on course for victory when breaking the American again in game five of the second set, only for Roddick to break back immediately.

But Murray struck again at 5-5 and then held his nerve in a thrilling final game to wrap up a famous win.

"It just seemed like I couldn't get the ball to go through the court how I would have liked," said Roddick.

"It was difficult. I wasn't getting much bite on my service action. It was frustrating."

Sunday will bring Murray his second tour final after losing to Roger Federer in the final of the Thailand Open last October, while it will be Hewitt's first final for nearly a year.

"I felt like I played pretty solid," said Hewitt, who dominated Spadea with his aggressive groundstrokes from the baseline, hitting 25 winners in all.

"I put pressure on nearly all of his service games. I was trying to dictate as much as possible and get him on the defensive."

The former world number one has not won a title since a tournament in Sydney 13 months ago.

Link: http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/tennis/4728788.stm

Don't seem to remember Henman beating top seed, championship winners in major competitions when he was 18.

As I said I know nothing about Tennis and have no intrest. I just know Henman was (and still is? :huh:) hyped up way too much and I hope they don't do the same to Murray fair enough he has just won a major competition and is only 18 but hype Murray up too much = Pressure, Pressure (sometimes) = failure (Which is what i'm guessing has prehaps happened in Henmans case?!)

...I don't know, I know nothing about Tennis :unsure::rolleyes:

As I said I know nothing about Tennis and have no intrest. I just know Henman was (and still is? :huh:) hyped up way too much and I hope they don't do the same to Murray fair enough he has just won a major competition and is only 18 but hype Murray up too much = Pressure, Pressure (sometimes) = failure (Which is what i'm guessing has prehaps happened in Henmans case?!)

...I don't know, I know nothing about Tennis :unsure::rolleyes:

I remember we made the same mistake in hyping up Norman Leet...........

I have no intrest in Tennis at all, All I know is Henman is shite

why the hell do people in this country always get on the back of henman. without henman tennis in this country would have been completely dead in the last decade.

consistent top 10 in the world player for majority of his career!!!!!!. 4 wimbledon semi-finals!!!!!!!!!! he only didn't get to the final because he came up against pete sampras in his prime and was robbed by the rain against goran.

henmen is coming to an end of his career now, but he's the best player we've seen come from this country for a long long time. o.k so he has a weak little punch celebration, and he comes across as a bit of a stuck up ****, but he's been carrying the flag for this country and been competitng as ONE OF THE WORLDS BEST players.

HENMAN HAS NEVER BEEN SHITE

why the hell do people in this country always get on the back of henman. without henman tennis in this country would have been completely dead in the last decade.

consistent top 10 in the world player for majority of his career!!!!!!. 4 wimbledon semi-finals!!!!!!!!!! he only didn't get to the final because he came up against pete sampras in his prime and was robbed by the rain against goran.

henmen is coming to an end of his career now, but he's the best player we've seen come from this country for a long long time. o.k so he has a weak little punch celebration, and he comes across as a bit of a stuck up ****, but he's been carrying the flag for this country and been competitng as ONE OF THE WORLDS BEST players.

Well put... By British standards, you could say the national football team has failed every year since '66...ridiculous...

:thumbup:

Archived