Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
bigneville

Ashley Chambers

Been hearing lots of promising things about this young lad. Anyone watched him a fair bit lately?

What type of player is he? Is he as good as the people are saying or just another hyped young player with only average potential?

he's promising, but that's all it is at the moment, he's got alot of work to do for sure because at the moment i don't quite see that wow factor. we've seen so many promising footballers in the past not reach the level expected, but he is certainly one to look out for.

I think he's a terrific player and would have him on the bench anytime but then I'm always being castigated for wanting to bring these people through too quickly.

Let's see, if some lads are still too young and inexperienced at 19, I reckon our more cautious fans would say another four or five years will be the right time for Chambers.

He'd be 20-odd then, about Fryatt's age. I'm sure he won't mind waiting while the likes of Hammond and Sylla keep the seat warm in the meantime. I don't know how many goals those two have got between them this season but they are much older and probably much stronger.

And while Chambers comes from Leiceser, they were signed from much more glamorous locations like Celtic and Fulham. And they get paid more.

You're up against it Bigneville. If you start flying ideas that even hint at potential excitement like including wingers or natural goalscorers, you'll be shot down in flames.

Go and watch the reserves, pal, like I do.

I think he's a terrific player and would have him on the bench anytime but then I'm always being castigated for wanting to bring these people through too quickly.

Let's see, if some lads are still too young and inexperienced at 19, I reckon our more cautious fans would say another four or five years will be the right time for Chambers.

He'd be 20-odd then, about Fryatt's age. I'm sure he won't mind waiting while the likes of Hammond and Sylla keep the seat warm in the meantime. I don't know how many goals those two have got between them this season but they are much older and probably much stronger.

And while Chambers comes from Leiceser, they were signed from much more glamorous locations like Celtic and Fulham. And they get paid more.

You're up against it Bigneville. If you start flying ideas that even hint at potential excitement like including wingers or natural goalscorers, you'll be shot down in flames.

Would you drop Fryatt, Hume or O'Grady to bring in Chambers? We alraedy have loads of young talent up front and don't need to rush players like Chambers into the first team. I haven't seen Hammond or Sylla on the pitch in any recent 1st team matches, they aren't keeping Chambers out.

Would you drop Fryatt, Hume or O'Grady to bring in Chambers? We alraedy have loads of young talent up front and don't need to rush players like Chambers into the first team. I haven't seen Hammond or Sylla on the pitch in any recent 1st team matches, they aren't keeping Chambers out.

I wouldn't dream of dropping any of those three - it's been long enough getting a proper strike force at Leicester. I said I'd happily have him on the bench instead of Hammond or Sylla. I didn't say those two were keeping him out but they have been past and are likely future substitutes.

Somebody got out of the wrong side this morning didn't they, :whistle::D ?

Next season Id have a target of around five or six starts in all comps for Chambers if he really is as good as the hype. between 16 - 18 for the season after ( what Sheehan should be playing next season) to really give him a go at breaking onto the scene at about 18, when hopefully he will be a little bigger and stronger with a little bit of experince behind, therefore able to compete at this level ( assuming we're still at this level). No point in rushing things Thrac!

Chambers is an excellent prospect, I still think he's a year away from first team football but he should be played in the reserves at every opportunity, which he hasn't been doing.

It shouldn't be about their age as if they are good enough then they are old enough but in Chambers case I think he's still not ready. My personal opinion.

I think Chambers is a good prospect. Admittedley I haven't seen him play in the flesh many times but you must have something about you to have played reserve team football before you've turned 15 (I think he did).

His name was being mentioned by Rudkin in interviews towards the back end of last season, he trained with the first team towards the end of last season at Filbert Way (Sure that's pretty rare for a lad so young) and Craig Levein praised him at the end of season award ceremony for his progress.

I'm only young myself but I've never heard so much be made of one of our youth products at such a young age before. This could just be down to the amount of media coverage Leicester City receives I suppose but I like to think it's because he's got something special.

I would rather see Chambers scoring goals on Saturday mornings for the academy than sitting on the bench for the first team though. I don't see how it will improve his game if he isn't playing as often as possible.

I think both you, Ric and Manwell are quite possibly right. But I'd like to be sure.

To my mind it is important for us to get two players through per season from the feeder teams and I see two from Chambers, Sheehan, Dodds, then maybe Odhiambo and Gradel, as being next.

Discounting Sylla for comparative purposes because he is a winger, I've seen Hammond lots of times, even in the Reserves recently, and I still like much of what he does.

But, although he is super fast, strong and a fighter, he is not an easy player for other players to fit in with and is not a natural finisher because he wants to blast every shot in the net. He's inclined to keep his head down and is a bit clumsy on the ball with sometimes disastrous consequences.

Chambers on the other hand is an elegant player and natural finisher who finds good chances for himself in every game. He is also an easy player to read from his colleagues' point of view and his timing of dangerous runs is sheer quality. A third point is that he is an excellent early passer of the ball with a top class sense of the situation.

Most important, everything he does spells danger. I've compared him in style (nothing more) to Allen "Sniffer" Clarke, who many won't remember, in that he is never noticed until the ball is 35 yards from goal and then, whether he shoots or passes, it is always a potential goal.

One big difference is that Hammond is an excellent and persistent challenger who, as a first line of defence, rushes defenders into mistakes and his stamina seems awesome. Chambers is less persistent that way because he relies on short burst speed and stealth.

But goals in a season? I'd expect Chambers to be better at any level. He can't help scoring and rarely tries to do more than necessary when a chance arises...the most telling sign of a natural.

He's not the only reason by a long way, but the Reserves and Academy teams have both seen their results improve immeasureably since he returned from injury and I'd love to see how he fared in a few cameo appearances for the first team...because he's certainly had plenty of experience now against quite capable opposition.

I think Chambers is a good prospect. Admittedley I haven't seen him play in the flesh many times but you must have something about you to have played reserve team football before you've turned 15 (I think he did).

His name was being mentioned by Rudkin in interviews towards the back end of last season, he trained with the first team towards the end of last season at Filbert Way (Sure that's pretty rare for a lad so young) and Craig Levein praised him at the end of season award ceremony for his progress.

I'm only young myself but I've never heard so much be made of one of our youth products at such a young age before. This could just be down to the amount of media coverage Leicester City receives I suppose but I like to think it's because he's got something special.

I would rather see Chambers scoring goals on Saturday mornings for the academy than sitting on the bench for the first team though. I don't see how it will improve his game if he isn't playing as often as possible.

That's a fair point but as the Reserves/Academy teams seem basically the same these days, Chambers could still play regularly for one part of the Reserves match in midweek and then take his place on the first team bench on Saturdays. He will also doubtless have international tournament duties in the spring and summer so I don't think he'll go short of football. Indeed it will be interesting to see if he plays against Totenham at Hinckley tomorrow.

I think both you, Ric and Manwell are quite possibly right. But I'd like to be sure.

To my mind it is important for us to get two players through per season from the feeder teams and I see two from Chambers, Sheehan, Dodds, then maybe Odhiambo and Gradel, as being next.

Discounting Sylla for comparative purposes because he is a winger, I've seen Hammond lots of times, even in the Reserves recently, and I still like much of what he does.

But, although he is super fast, strong and a fighter, he is not an easy player for other players to fit in with and is not a natural finisher because he wants to blast every shot in the net. He's inclined to keep his head down and is a bit clumsy on the ball with sometimes disastrous consequences.

Chambers on the other hand is an elegant player and natural finisher who finds good chances for himself in every game. He is also an easy player to read from his colleagues' point of view and his timing of dangerous runs is sheer quality. A third point is that he is an excellent early passer of the ball with a top class sense of the situation.

Most important, everything he does spells danger. I've compared him in style (nothing more) to Allen "Sniffer" Clarke, who many won't remember, in that he is never noticed until the ball is 35 yards from goal and then, whether he shoots or passes, it is always a potential goal.

One big difference is that Hammond is an excellent and persistent challenger who, as a first line of defence, rushes defenders into mistakes and his stamina seems awesome. Chambers is less persistent that way because he relies on short burst speed and stealth.

But goals in a season? I'd expect Chambers to be better at any level. He can't help scoring and rarely tries to do more than necessary when a chance arises...the most telling sign of a natural.

He's not the only reason by a long way, but the Reserves and Academy teams have both seen their results improve immeasureably since he returned from injury and I'd love to see how he fared in a few cameo appearances for the first team...because he's certainly had plenty of experience now against quite capable opposition.

My Parents call him a poor mans Peter Crouch, :smile: ( dont shoot me its not my opinion )

I don't know because I haven't gone to academy games regularly for a while now and I struggle to get to reserve games too but is Lycett any good? I've only seen him play once and he looked pretty solid but I didn't know if that was a one off performance by him or not? It also sounds like Cisak is doing well for the academy and has played well for the reserves a few times but I remember Logan being amazing for the academy about 4 seasons ago and it's only recently that people have started to mention his name in terms of the first team and I think that's just because of some of the mistakes made by Henderson and Douglas. His reputation has grown amongst City fans because he's the only keeper out of the three not to have made a mistake for City's first team this season imo.

I don't know because I haven't gone to academy games regularly for a while now and I struggle to get to reserve games too but is Lycett any good? I've only seen him play once and he looked pretty solid but I didn't know if that was a one off performance by him or not? It also sounds like Cisak is doing well for the academy and has played well for the reserves a few times but I remember Logan being amazing for the academy about 4 seasons ago and it's only recently that people have started to mention his name in terms of the first team and I think that's just because of some of the mistakes made by Henderson and Douglas. His reputation has grown amongst City fans because he's the only keeper out of the three not to have made a mistake for City's first team this season imo.

I think you'll find a very good Loan spell at Boston hasn't done his case any harm.

I agree with that and if he's as good as both you and me think he is then he'll get his chance in due course. There haven't been many footballers breakthrough at first team level when they've just turned 16, most start playing when they are 17/18 and some even later. Even the most gifted of youngsters like Rooney and Owen were quite abit older than Chambers before they got first team recognition. I know Liverpool and Everton are bigger clubs than Leicester so the competition for places is alot stronger but even two of the countries hottest prospects for decades were older than Chambers when they got their chance.

He needs to be given as much encouragement as possible from the coaches and training with the first team at his age is an achievement in itself and will be massively beneficial. Finishing wise there's only one striker at this club on par or better than him and that's Fryatt, who is also a quality prospect and he didn't start playing for Walsall until he was 17 I think.

Give the lad time and success should provail, but if he starts scoring freely for the reserves and academy like he has been doing then I doubt it will be long before he gets a chance.

I think you'll find a very good Loan spell at Boston hasn't done his case any harm.

League Two football in all fairness isn't the same as the Championship and Paul Henderson was playing League One football last season and, according to some Bradford fans, looked quite promising too. Some of Logan's performances for the reserves in the past have been dire to put it kindly. All of a sudden after a few good games at a League Two club some people reckon he'll be the best option out of the three keepers.

League Two football in all fairness isn't the same as the Championship and Paul Henderson was playing League One football last season and, according to some Bradford fans, looked quite promising too. Some of Logan's performances for the reserves in the past have been dire to put it kindly. All of a sudden after a few good games at a League Two club some people reckon he'll be the best option out of the three keepers.

Your right, but then look at O'Grady. Poor before he went to Rushden and now looks like with alot of hard work he could be very decent at this level. Logan has never impressed me, but he got great reviews at Boston so you never know.

Your right, but then look at O'Grady. Poor before he went to Rushden and now looks like with alot of hard work he could be very decent at this level. Logan has never impressed me, but he got great reviews at Boston so you never know.

Couldn't Logan stand behind the goal ready to take Henderson's kicks for him? :whistle:

Well I wouldn't go as far to say he is our best option thats for certain. However ive made a comment about League Two football before, I think its a very hard division to keep goal in, alot of goals coming from point blank headers, and alot of spectacular long range efforts. Also we aren't talking about him being described as "quite promosing" by Boston reports/fans, we're talking MOTM awards and being nominated for player of the month. This is all added to the fact he is extremly young in goalkeeper years :D . You can see why some people would want a young up and coming goalkeeper to get a chance after a succesful loan spell.

I have to admit to thinking Douglas is probabley still the best option, and we need to sort out some other areas of our team before we improve on our goalkeeper.

Your right, but then look at O'Grady. Poor before he went to Rushden and now looks like with alot of hard work he could be very decent at this level.
Could also be the fact he's come back bigger and stronger than when he made his first tentative appearances for us?

Could also be the fact he's come back bigger and stronger than when he made his first tentative appearances for us?

Too right. Physically and mentally he's at a different level now. I think he could be a quality player, just goes to show that some young players progress differently to others.

Too right. Physically and mentally he's at a different level now. I think he could be a quality player, just goes to show that some young players progress differently to others.

O'Grady has an awful long way to go, I'd be suprised if he made it at Leicester. He has ocme on and held the ball up okay on a couple of occaisions, he's done okay since his return but hardly set the world on fire.

Archived