Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
davieG

Championship Manager Merry Go Round

From Sky:

Peter Taylor could become the new manager of Crystal Palace after the Hull boss held talks with the Selhurst Park outfit. Speculation earlier this week suggested that the England Under-21 coach was the frontrunner to succeed Iain Dowie but Tigers chairman Adam Pearson refused to corroborate the reports.

Now Taylor, who was interviewed for the vacancy at Charlton before it was filled by Dowie, has confirmed he has held talks with The Eagles and hopes to find out before long whether he will take up their reins of the South London club.

"Adam [Pearson] is pushing [Palace chairman] Simon Jordan for a very quick decision," Taylor told the Hull Daily Mail.

"I can understand that but I haven't got a clue when that decision will be.

"Either way, everyone concerned wants a quick decision."

Luton manager Mike Newell is also rumoured to be in the running for the post which Palace hope to have filled by early next week.eter Taylor could become the new manager of Crystal Palace after the Hull boss held talks with the Selhurst Park outfit.

Speculation earlier this week suggested that the England Under-21 coach was the frontrunner to succeed Iain Dowie but Tigers chairman Adam Pearson refused to corroborate the reports.

Now Taylor, who was interviewed for the vacancy at Charlton before it was filled by Dowie, has confirmed he has held talks with The Eagles and hopes to find out before long whether he will take up their reins of the South London club.

"Adam [Pearson] is pushing [Palace chairman] Simon Jordan for a very quick decision," Taylor told the Hull Daily Mail.

"I can understand that but I haven't got a clue when that decision will be.

"Either way, everyone concerned wants a quick decision."

Luton manager Mike Newell is also rumoured to be in the running for the post which Palace hope to have filled by early next week.

Stoke City have been granted permission from Championship rivals Plymouth Argyle to speak with former boss Tony Pulis.

New Potters chairman Peter Coates is keen to bring Pulis back to The Britannia Stadium after he was surprisingly sacked by Stoke's former Icelandic owners before the start of last season.

Pulis went on to succeed Bobby Williamson at Home Park back in September and helped The Pilgrims to another season of consolidation in The Championship.

With Johan Boskamp leaving the Stoke hot-seat at the season's end last month, Coates's initial attempts to speak with Pulis were rejected by Plymouth late last month.

However, the Devon club have reluctantly agreed permission for Pulis to open talks with Stoke, with compensation having been tentatively agreed between both clubs.

Despite confirming that Stoke are to speak with Pulis, he remains one of several candidates the club are considering.

"We have been considering a number of individuals for the role, including a great many who have directly applied for the post," Potters chief executive Tony Scholes told the club's official website.

"In this respect, I am delighted that Plymouth Argyle have now given us permission to speak with Tony Pulis about the vacancy. We will now do this."

Why anyone would want to work for Simon Jordan is beyond me.

I think Stoke was a mid-table team with Pulis, like Plymouth. The Stoke manegerial position isn't exactly a picture of stability, so its not surprising that no one else wants the job.

Well poor Palace fans,Simon Jordan going for Graeme Souness was bad enough but Peter Taylor,Simon Jordan really is an idiot!

Maybe, maybe not. Jordan will keep his hands on the transfer budget, and Taylor is a good coach. Just don;t let him have anything to do with any kind of negotiations...

From Sky:

Colchester manager Phil Parkinson has tendered his resignation, only for the newly-promoted Championship outfit to reject the request.

Parkinson offered his resignation to the Colchester board on Wednesday afternoon, however the Layer Road club are determined to retain him for next season.

Parkinson has been widely tipped to be the first choice of Hull chairman Adam Pearson to succeed the recently departed Peter Taylor, who has taken up the vacancy at Crystal Palace.

However the Suffolk outfit are determined not to become the victims of a potential managerial merry-go-round.

"Following the manager tendering his resignation late this afternoon, the club have refused to accept the resignation," said a statement on the club's official website.

"He is under contract for another year, and we have asked him to reflect upon the position and to discuss matters with us further on his return from holiday in a week's time."

Tony Pulis has rejoined Stoke City as manager on a 12-month rolling contract.

The 48-year-old has decided to quit his current role with Plymouth Argyle in order to take up the hot-seat at The Britannia Stadium.

Pulis has already previously served as Potters chief for three years from 2002 to 2005 - before a row with the then club's hierarchy led to his departure.

Now Stoke are back in the hands of Peter Coates and he had no reservations about bringing Pulis back to the club.

"Tony knows the club, knows the area, knows the passion our fans have for Stoke City and - most importantly - understands the potential we have at the club," he said.

"He wants to come back because he truly believes he can bring the club success and I'm absolutely convinced he can.

"I did not make a £10 million investment in the club for us to remain a mid-table Championship side.

"I made it to bring success to a club I've supported all my life and I believe the appointment of Tony Pulis will help us achieve that."

Ian Holloway is the clear favourite to become the next manager of Plymouth Argyle.

Bristol-born Holloway is thought to be the number one candidate to be appointed.

Some football insiders believe Argyle have already sounded out the 43-year-old about taking over from Pulis.

He is still officially the manager of Queens Park Rangers, although he was put on 'gardening leave' in February after a fall-out with chairman Gianni Paladini.

Holloway expressed an interest in talking to Leicester City about their then managerial vacancy and Paladini took exception to that.

Bristol Rovers' director of football Lennie Lawrence, a former Argyle caretaker boss, is another possible contender to take over from Pulis.

Lawrence impressed when he was interviewed by the Argyle board of directors as they searched for a successor to Bobby Williamson last September.

In the end, however, he was pipped at the post by Pulis, who led the Pilgrims to Championship safety.

Lawrence became Rovers' director of football two months later, with Paul Trollope as first team coach.

Many Argyle supporters would welcome a return to Home Park for former promotion-winning manager Paul Sturrock but that is not on the cards.

Sturrock is intent on assembling a strong squad at Sheffield Wednesday and has already made three summer signings, including Crewe Alexandra midfielder Kenny Lunt and Milton Keynes Dons' winger Wade Small.

Argyle 'reluctantly' gave permission for Stoke to talk to Pulis about their managerial vacancy last Friday.

They rejected a first approach from the Potteries' club last month but have now agreed a compensation package.

Our source at Home Park confirmed it was a 'five-figure' sum in excess of £50,000.

Pulis has stayed tight-lipped about his future, despite mounting speculation of Stoke's determined pursuit of him over recent weeks.

But today he broke his silence and told Herald Sport: "I have stayed out of it and let the two clubs get on with it.

"I'm on holiday and I will certainly not be coming back early. I want to enjoy our last few days out here."

The charismatic and colourful Holloway has continued to be paid by QPR while he has been on 'gardening leave.'

He signed a new contract with Rangers in February 2005, which takes him through until June 2008.

As long as a settlement can be sorted out between him and QPR, then Holloway must be in with a tremendous chance of taking over from Pulis, a former Bristol Rovers team-mate of his.

Hull's fans think he's going tere, to Hull that is.

forgot they didn't have a manager The Hull Chairman did say he wanted a manager who could plan for the next 10 years so he could well fit the bill

Simpson to sign as Preston boss

Paul Simpson is expected to arrive at Preston North End on Friday to agree a deal to become the club's new manager.

Simpson, 39, joins the Deepdale club from Carlisle and replaces the departed Billy Davis as boss of Preston.

Simpson, whose previous clubs include Rochdale, Blackpool and Walsall, is tipped to sign a three-year deal at the Lilywhites.

Preston are expected to unveil the 39-year-old at a press conference on Monday morning.

A statement on the official Carlisle website reads: "The board of Carlisle are disappointed to lose such a good manager as Paul Simpson but we are very grateful for the part he has played at the club and the team's progress made under his management.

"Negotiations between all parties have been amicable and we wish Paul every success in a career which promises and deserves to go far."

Simpson to sign as Preston boss

Paul Simpson is expected to arrive at Preston North End on Friday to agree a deal to become the club's new manager.

Simpson, 39, joins the Deepdale club from Carlisle and replaces the departed Billy Davis as boss of Preston.

Simpson, whose previous clubs include Rochdale, Blackpool and Walsall, is tipped to sign a three-year deal at the Lilywhites.

Preston are expected to unveil the 39-year-old at a press conference on Monday morning.

A statement on the official Carlisle website reads: "The board of Carlisle are disappointed to lose such a good manager as Paul Simpson but we are very grateful for the part he has played at the club and the team's progress made under his management.

"Negotiations between all parties have been amicable and we wish Paul every success in a career which promises and deserves to go far."

They are shocked by Simpson's departure up here in Carlisle to say the least! He is a hometown boy and did not look like he was moving on. Plus he had the support of a wealthy chairman and a bunch of players who were committed to him. It is a move up but football management is so unstable he may have been better off building at Carlisle as they have potential to be a championship team.

Still he can probably recall the slagging he got in the local letters pages in the press when he initially took over, they're crying traitor now but wanted him out a couple of years ago!

Watch out for likes of Hawley and Bridges looking for a move now...Bridges may be worth a punt as a squad palyer!

From BBC (http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/c/celtic/5097682.stm):

Crystal Palace have confirmed their interest in Celtic skipper Neil Lennon.

Selhurst Park director of football Bob Dowie told BBC Scotland that negotiations were taking place but a deal was far from being completed.

The 34-year-old is out of contract with the Scottish champions although Celtic manager Gordon Strachan hopes to keep the midfielder on.

New Palace boss Peter Taylor worked briefly with Lennon at Leicester and may offer him a coaching role.

On Monday, Strachan said he expected Lennon to sign a new deal after he reports for pre-season training on Friday.

"It's one of these things where we've just never got round to sitting down and talking about it," said Strachan.

"I think we know we're going to sign a contract and we're not worried. Once we get together, we'll get it sorted."

Lennon joined Celtic from Leicester in December 2000 and penned a one-year extension last summer.

Lennon won the league title and CIS Cup in his first season as captain and has said he is keen to carry on playing.

It is thought Celtic are offering another one-year deal, while Palace may tempt him with a longer contract and coaching duties.

Archived