Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
reynard

Goals how many will we score and how many needed

I really hope i am wrong but as it stands I simply cannot see us scoring enough goals to get anywhere near the playoffs.

In the last 6 years only 3 teams have qualified for the playoffs with less than 60 goals a season we have averaged only 50 for the last two seasons.

we used to be athreat from set peices with defenders but I cannot see more than 5 goals coming from that area.

midfield simply doesn't seem to have the firepower needed either. hughes is potentially the best chance here but for more than 5 per season?? Sylla has yet to score and he is supposedly one of our attacking midfielders. let's say we can score 15 from midfield which may be optomistic.

let's chuck in a couple of own goals and 5 penalties as well making a total of 27 so far.

so that means to get anywhere near the playoffs we need our strikers to net an absolute minimum of 33 goals and more likely 40 goals between them.

If fryattgets injured I don't see any other of our strikers scoring 20 goals a season.

how many can Hume get?? 10-12??

o'grady ??

hammond 3-5?

what does anyone else think?

If fryatt stays fit and at the club all season I think 22 is realistic, Hume possibly 16, Corners if we can find somebody who can take them (maybe williams inswingers were ok) then mcauley scored 5 last season last season and the season before for Lincoln so he should be a major threat. Kentons also good in the air. I think we can get 65 although i feel the majority will be at home as away we tend to grind out results eg. 0-1 and 1-2

We won't get many from set pieces. We're purely relying on our strikers in my humble opinion. Hume and Fryatt both have the potential to get 20 with O'Grady and Hammond able to get a few them selves (15 between them?).

It's a very hypothetical argument but we'll see :cool:

Certainly looks to me that we'll be very much more relying on our defensive side of our game. Clean sheets will be much needed and expected with our 8 man defence.

From our anticipated line-up:

Kisnorbo, Johansson, Kenton, Johnson, Wesolowski, Maybury, Tiatto will not score many goals at all.

Possibly four between them.

Stearman, McCarthy, Williams, Hughes and Low (if played) might get 14 between them.

Total so far 18.

Where do 42 more goals come from or more like 52 in my view.

Fryatt would have an exceptional season to score 16 or more.

Hume might bag 12.

Still 14 or 24 to go depending on your viewpoint and barring injuries with only O'Grady as a genuinely established striker in reserve and Hammond showing potential but unlikely to have enough playing time unless ideas change.

As always to me the key lies in the balance of attackers to defenders and it lies first and foremost in midfield, but also at left back from whence we rarely launch attacks despite Johansson's general improvement in both consistency and flexiblity. Has it been pointless? No. I think he's a really valuable squad member and an able deputy first at centre-back but also at full-back.l

More important we simply cannot play so many non-scorers in midfield.

The jokers in City's pack are the consistently creative Levi Porter (he virtually always makes goals) and the veritable goal machine that is Louis Dodds.

To score sufficient goals somehow Kelly has to accommodate more of the most dangerous players at the expense of the more negative ones.

George Burley spoke only the other day how important it was to get goals from midfield.

Kelly demonstrably likes pairs, Manwell Pablo spoke of it in depth the other day.

Look at these two sides for a moment and see which will score most.

Henderson;

Stearman, McCarthy, Kisnorbo, Johansson;

Maybury, Hughes or Williams, Johnson, Tiatto;

Hume, Fryatt.

or

Henderson;

Stearman, McCarthy, Kisnorbo, Sheehan;

Maybury, Johnson, Porter;

Hume;

O'Grady, Dodds/Fryatt.

There is twice as much atttacking potential, twice as many goals in the second 4-3-1-2 selection. But is it ever likely to be on the field? Or an even more radical home choice of 3-4-3. I doubt it. But the goals question was asked and I'll sit back and wait for the usual battering from the dourists.

You notice I pick Dodds or Fryatt in the second side. I actually don't give a damn which. Is that the ultimate sacrilege?. Almost like Kelly I have come to think Dodds is a thoroughly natural striker but not as easily countered as Fryatt and with the additional ability to take free kicks.

PS: There are various acceptable variations on the 4-3-1-2.

We won't get many from set pieces. We're purely relying on our strikers in my humble opinion. Hume and Fryatt both have the potential to get 20 with O'Grady and Hammond able to get a few them selves (15 between them?).

It's a very hypothetical argument but we'll see :cool:

Certainly looks to me that we'll be very much more relying on our defensive side of our game. Clean sheets will be much needed and expected with our 8 man defence.

I had wondered about doing a tongue in cheek post based on something like an eight man defence and City achieving 15-18 wins by 1-0 and a whole lot of 1-1 draws. A sort of George Graham approach with attitude. :whistle:

It honestly wouldn't surprise me but a) the 1-0's and 1-1's could too easily go the wrong and the crowd statistics would be knackered good and proper.

I think if we start winning games and confidence is high the goals will naturally come. There are players in the side that are very capable of scoring goals such as Williams and Hughes who in the past have flattered to deceive. However it is a new season and it is their responsibility more than ever to support the strike force.

Of most importance is having 4 strikers in the squad that all score a considerable amount of goals. It is nice to have a player on the bench who is capable of reversing the scoreline and helping the club gain 3 points. This is something that Leicester havent had in the past. The success has been illustrated amongst the teams that have been promoted and reached the play offs in the past e.g. Neil Warnock signing everyother striker in the league including Akinbiyi. I feel we have 2 strikers that can easily achieve 30 goals between them barring injury.

The jury is still out on both Hammond and O'Grady. There is no doubt that Hammond has some of the attributes to be a tremendous asset to bring off the bench with 15 minutes left if he can somehow find the composure needed at the Championship level. O'Grady appears an excellent option for holding the ball up. He only scored a tap in against Luton last season though his appearances were limited. For Leicester to be successful somewhere in between 10 and 20 goals from these 2 would catapult Leicester up the league.

As far as i'm concerned any goals that come from defence are a bonus. Richard Stearman impressed me last season with his leaps from corners and throw ons (he jumps like a salmon) and I feel that 5 goals from him this season could easily be achieved. McCarthy (now captain) I expect to grow as a man and a player this season and it would be no surprise to me to see him popping up with a higher tally than last season. Likewise McCauley if he gets opportunities is noted for his strengths in the oppositions box.

With 4 effective strikers, 2 of our midfielders doing what they are supposed too and the defence popping up every now and then from corners and free kicks I think leicester could easily score enough goals. ofcourse this is all reliant on the teams confidence in their own abilities!

Look at these two sides for a moment and see which will score most.

Henderson;

Stearman, McCarthy, Kisnorbo, Johansson;

Maybury, Hughes or Williams, Johnson, Tiatto;

Hume, Fryatt.

or

Henderson;

Stearman, McCarthy, Kisnorbo, Sheehan;

Maybury, Johnson, Porter;

Hume;

O'Grady, Dodds/Fryatt.

I think the first team would get better results and score more goals. I think the 2nd team would not keep possession to well and would always be vulnerable to attacks.

I'm pretty sure you're going o find out how well the first named team does - and I look forward to reading the reports.

The second named team is just a fun figment of my vivid imagination based on what I might like to actually like to watch. :)

I'm pretty sure you're going o find out how well the first named team does - and I look forward to reading the reports.

The second named team is just a fun figment of my vivid imagination based on what I might like to actually like to watch. :)

Barton Fox mentioned us being the new Wimbledon in another thread. I think that would be the case if we played the youth team players that you seem obsessed with. They will get their chance when they are ready for the Championship and not before.

The Wimbledon side that got relegated had the likes of Nigel Reo Coker and Jobi Mcanuff in it who are now both accomplished players but were not ready for the strain of the division and couldnt keep the side up. Our second side would probably fair the same

If we play long ball up to Hume and Fryatt all season then we'll be relegated with about 35 points and less goals.

I'll say it right here and right now, i'll give Kelly a month. If in a months time he's still playing 6 defenders and allows his players to continue to hoof the ball up to our two small strikers then i'll be calling for his head.

I was right behind Kelly being given a chance, but it was a massive gamble and he's got to learn fast. So far his ideas for this season haven't impressed me. Surely he saw the potential this team had given some fine tuning after his spell at the end of last season. But instead of being imaginative and positive, he's gone for a negative, safety first attitude and I wouldn't mind so much if he atleast then made sure we were hard to beat.

On friday, our defence was a shambles and all that will happen is we'll go a goal or two down and then we'll have no chance of getting anything out of games because the team won't be used to taking games to the opposition and they'll continue to resort to this long ball game because the defence panic.

One plus point is that Andy Johnson looks good and might be able to convince the defenders to feed the ball to him instead of bypassing the whole midfield.

Kenton looked shit.

I'll say it right here and right now, i'll give Kelly a month. If in a months time he's still playing 6 defenders and allows his players to continue to hoof the ball up to our two small strikers then i'll be calling for his head.

I was right behind Kelly being given a chance, but it was a massive gamble and he's got to learn fast. So far his ideas for this season haven't impressed me. Surely he saw the potential this team had given some fine tuning after his spell at the end of last season. But instead of being imaginative and positive, he's gone for a negative, safety first attitude and I wouldn't mind so much if he atleast then made sure we were hard to beat.

So he's saved us from probable relegation, finished what 16th? 17th? when he took over we were in the relegation zone, now based on a couple of pre-season games you are giving him a month?! Are you insane?

If we play long ball up to Hume and Fryatt all season then we'll be relegated with about 35 points and less goals.

On friday, our defence was a shambles and all that will happen is we'll go a goal or two down and then we'll have no chance of getting anything out of games because the team won't be used to taking games to the opposition and they'll continue to resort to this long ball game because the defence panic.

One plus point is that Andy Johnson looks good and might be able to convince the defenders to feed the ball to him instead of bypassing the whole midfield.

Kenton looked shit.

As I said apart from that one good tackle in the 6 yard box he was questionable :(

Hoofing the like we did in our postion, even if the midfiled is so compact is a total waste of time. When Johnson did get the ball he looked very steady in a midfield packed with very competent players, a player who can control games given the chance. However Mcarthy and Stearmen both seemed to prefere route one even though neither of our strikers can get up and head a ball.

With Weso coming in I strugle to see how our midfield is going to score goals even if it is a tidy unit that can keep teams out and create for our strikers, Tiatto Maybury Johnson and Weso are just not going to work we're going to need someone with a bit of flair in there.

So he's saved us from probable relegation, finished what 16th? 17th? when he took over we were in the relegation zone, now based on a couple of pre-season games you are giving him a month?! Are you insane?

I'll give him a month to change what he's been planning all pre-season, if he doesn't and we are playing dreadfully then i'll seriously start to question him.

I can't accept long ball up to two strikers that are below 5 foot 10 and I can't accept 6 defenders in a team when it doesn't appear to make the team any stronger defensively, if it wasn't for some seriously poor finishing then we'd have been 4 down by half time.

As i've said all along, this team has the potential as shown under Kelly at the end of last season and with some fine tuning we could have put ourselves in a good position for an enjoyable season. But instead of being positive, Kelly has become very negative in both the transfer market and with his tactics.

I hope i'm proved wrong, and i'll be quite happy to hold my hands up and say I was wrong but if we play with 6 defenders in the style of play we did on friday then we'll be in for a horrible season and I can't bear that.

As I said apart from that one good tackle in the 6 yard box he was questionable :(

Hoofing the like we did in our postion, even if the midfiled is so compact is a total waste of time. When Johnson did get the ball he looked very steady in a midfield packed with very competent players, a player who can control games given the chance. However Mcarthy and Stearmen both seemed to prefere route one even though neither of our strikers can get up and head a ball.

With Weso coming in I strugle to see how our midfield is going to score goals even if it is a tidy unit that can keep teams out and create for our strikers, Tiatto Maybury Johnson and Weso are just not going to work we're going to need someone with a bit of flair in there.

You want me out there? I'd be honoured Manwell.

I'll give him a month to change what he's been planning all pre-season, if he doesn't and we are playing dreadfully then i'll seriously start to question him.

I can't accept long ball up to two strikers that are below 5 foot 10 and I can't accept 6 defenders in a team when it doesn't appear to make the team any stronger defensively, if it wasn't for some seriously poor finishing then we'd have been 4 down by half time.

As i've said all along, this team has the potential as shown under Kelly at the end of last season and with some fine tuning we could have put ourselves in a good position for an enjoyable season. But instead of being positive, Kelly has become very negative in both the transfer market and with his tactics.

I hope i'm proved wrong, and i'll be quite happy to hold my hands up and say I was wrong but if we play with 6 defenders in the style of play we did on friday then we'll be in for a horrible season and I can't bear that.

I can see what you're getting at but he played Tiatto and Maybury on the wings last season, it's not like it's a new thing. He's replaced Gudjonsson with a player you rate. You love Fryatt and Hume. The centre-backs are solid. Give it some time. I'm annoyed he re-signed Tiatto as well but you can't suddenly be down on Kelly based on pre-season.

And there's no way Fryatt is less than 5 10.

I can see what you're getting at but he played Tiatto and Maybury on the wings last season, it's not like it's a new thing. He's replaced Gudjonsson with a player you rate. You love Fryatt and Hume. The centre-backs are solid. Give it some time. I'm annoyed he re-signed Tiatto as well but you can't suddenly be down on Kelly based on pre-season.

And there's no way Fryatt is less than 5 10.

Fryatt is 5 foot 10, sorry. But he's not that dominant in the air and although Hume tries his best to win headers, he's flogging a dead horse most of the time.

We didn't ever win when Tiatto played though, that's not a statistic I want to keep thinking or talking about. But i'd much rather he played than Maybury in their current positions because although Danny is a liability he does possess a burst of pace that he's not afraid to use when going forward. Maybury, sadly isn't pacey and devoid of any ideas when on the ball in the oppositions half.

Archived