Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Ric Flair

I'm Bored

Manwell touches on the truth. I don't really see enough of £1m or less players in action elsewhere to form a sensible opinion. I rarely watch Championship highlights and seeing people twice a year at best against City is hardly the way to make a sound judgement.

I would actually love to be a scout and then I'm quite happy I would unearth some ability like the 40-goals-a-season Irish striker I mentioned last year for, presumably, not much money.

But to tackle the question specifically, and acknowledging that Manwell would be aghast at my signing winger Ryan Smith for the £300,000 Derby paid, I don't even know that I would want to spend anything at this stage.

I'd be playing 4-3-3 or 4-3-1-2 with attacking full-backs and, in this system, we wouldn't need wingers and, theefore, it would be hard to buy better than what we have for £1m.

I would want to see the system working, and where any weaknesses lay before spending £1m, if I spent it at all.

Consider the team:

Logan;

Stearman, McCarthy, Kisnorbo, Sheehan;

Hammond, Johnson, Tiatto,

Porter,

Hume. O'Grady.

Subs: Maybury, Nils, Dodds, Fryatt, Hughes or Williams.

Would Lee Miller on loan from Manchester United add a bit of potency left midfield? He didn't look a bad bet when I saw him against Celtic but Tiatto provides a naturally left-footed link in defence and attack.

<shudders> that makes me want to be sick, Porter in midfield, Hammond up front and either Hume or O'Grady behind the front two and it might be almost reasnoable.

I would not be aghast at you signing Ryan Smith at all I think you will strugle to find me saying many bad things about his natural talent. If he sorts his attitude out and learns how to cross he would be a fantastic player.

Manwell touches on the truth. I don't really see enough of £1m or less players in action elsewhere to form a sensible opinion. I rarely watch Championship highlights and seeing people twice a year at best against City is hardly the way to make a sound judgement.

I would actually love to be a scout and then I'm quite happy I would unearth some ability like the 40-goals-a-season Irish striker I mentioned last year for, presumably, not much money.

But to tackle the question specifically, and acknowledging that Manwell would be aghast at my signing winger Ryan Smith for the £300,000 Derby paid, I don't even know that I would want to spend anything at this stage.

I'd be playing 4-3-3 or 4-3-1-2 with attacking full-backs and, in this system, we wouldn't need wingers and, theefore, it would be hard to buy better than what we have for £1m.

I would want to see the system working, and where any weaknesses lay before spending £1m, if I spent it at all.

Consider the team:

Logan;

Porter,

Hume. O'Grady.

Would Lee Miller on loan from Manchester United add a bit of potency left midfield? He didn't look a bad bet when I saw him against Celtic but Tiatto provides a naturally left-footed link in defence and attack.

Horrible team. I like your idea of it being abit different, but Hammond at right midfield? What credentials has that man got to be able to play right midfield? He's got pace that's it. His composure once he's got the ball is erratic, his distribution is questionable and i've never seen him tackle even if he is competetive and a trier. Also, leaving our best striker on the bench? Outrageous.

If I can pinch your system then surely it would be more dangerous if you played:

Logan/Henderson

Stearman, McCarthy, Kisnorbo, Sheehan

Wesolowski, Johnson, Porter/Tiatto

Hume

Fryatt, O'Grady

Wesolowski started out as a right winger and was exceptional on the right hand side of midfield down at QPR the night it all turned around for us last season. Everyone thinks Hume is more suited to playing behind the strikers, so in a diamond shape 4-4-2 it could be that Hume plays behind Fryatt and O'Grady and Johnson sits in dictating the midfield. Plus if we need to dig in and close out a match then O'Grady could drift out left and Hume out right giving us the added steel in midfield with the capabilities of counter attacking.

Not even one player playing out of position with the exception of perhaps Hume, but he's definately capable of playing an attacking midfield role and would still score the same goals as he scores now, breaking from deep in to the area. Plus it would allow him more of a chance to strike from distance, something he was meant to be deadly at when he was at Tranmere.

It might be fashionable to leave out Williams and Hughes but they would suit a three more than they do a two. Johnson, Williams and Hughes would make a decent trio in my opinion and then you don't have to bother with this Hammond/Tiatto/Porter charade. Weso could then take the place of whoever wasn't pulling their weight.

Also, I don't think O'Grady is as good as most people seem to think. But that's just my opinion.

It might be fashionable to leave out Williams and Hughes but they would suit a three more than they do a two. Johnson, Williams and Hughes would make a decent trio in my opinion and then you don't have to bother with this Hammond/Tiatto/Porter charade. Weso could then take the place of whoever wasn't pulling their weight.

Also, I don't think O'Grady is as good as most people seem to think. But that's just my opinion.

You saw 3 games under Kelly last season, did you not? The 2 you mentioned were the two crap away performances at Ipswich and Southampton? Some of his cameo displays at home when we were closing games out or chasing the win ala Luton were excellent for what we needed. I think he's got alot to offer and if he continues to improve at the rate he did last season then he could be as good as our current front two.

You will learn not to mention the name "Blake". Wheather it be Nathan or Robbie! both are useless!!!

Robbie Blake useless? Controversial, a couple of seasons ago at Burnley he took us apart and scored 20+ goals that season.

Robbie Blake useless? Controversial, a couple of seasons ago at Burnley he took us apart and scored 20+ goals that season.

How many times do I have to say it, one good season does not make a good player! Blake is not a player I would want here. For every half decent season he has had he has had two piss poor ones.

Consider the team:

Logan;

Porter,

Hume. O'Grady.

Unbelievable. :o:whistle:

How can ANY poster whinge about the lack of goals in the team, and then drop the best goalscorer at the club??

You saw 3 games under Kelly last season, did you not? The 2 you mentioned were the two crap away performances at Ipswich and Southampton? Some of his cameo displays at home when we were closing games out or chasing the win ala Luton were excellent for what we needed. I think he's got alot to offer and if he continues to improve at the rate he did last season then he could be as good as our current front two.

Seen a fair bit of him at Rushden as well. It sounds like he's improved since then and I was just unlucky to see the games he didn't look all that great in. I agree his cameos were just what we needed (going by reports etc) and even in the Ipswich and Southampton games he put himself about a bit and looked like he was causing problems. Still never looked like a first-team player in my eyes but I guess I should give him more time again.

Wesolowski started out as a right winger and was exceptional on the right hand side of midfield down at QPR the night it all turned around for us last season.

Strange - I thought that was Alan Maybury? :huh:

Everyone thinks Hume is more suited to playing behind the strikers, so in a diamond shape 4-4-2 it could be that Hume plays behind Fryatt and O'Grady and Johnson sits in dictating the midfield. Plus if we need to dig in and close out a match then O'Grady could drift out left and Hume out right giving us the added steel in midfield with the capabilities of counter attacking.

Not even one player playing out of position with the exception of perhaps Hume, but he's definately capable of playing an attacking midfield role and would still score the same goals as he scores now, breaking from deep in to the area. Plus it would allow him more of a chance to strike from distance, something he was meant to be deadly at when he was at Tranmere.

Good idea, worth considering.

I can't believe people are even considering Danny Tiatto capable enough to warrant a starting place in the first team. I would rather De Vries played in Midfield than Tiatto, RK seriously needs to try and bring in some quality that can play on the wing otherwise we've got problems. Lee Martin would be the ideal player to bring in on loan for the season.

Strange - I thought that was Alan Maybury? :huh:

Good idea, worth considering.

All I can remember was that Wesolowski kept going on mazy runs down the right hand side, which ultimately led to our second goal. I was extremely pissed that night though.

Consider the team:

Logan;

Porter,

Hume. O'Grady.

OMG I don't think I could pick a worse side. You said you won't buy a season ticket this year cod of the way we would play - If you were manager I wouldn't even tlisten to it on the radio, with that side.

OMG I don't think I could pick a worse side. You said you won't buy a season ticket this year cod of the way we would play - If you were manager I wouldn't even tlisten to it on the radio, with that side.

I knew someone would say that and had wondered about leaving Tiatto out, having Hume in the hole and O'Grady/Fryatt up front.

Then you could have Porter and Hughes with Johnson in midfield. It matters not really. The point is to get rid of a central rottweiler, use three strikers (among our best players anyway) and feed them with attacking full-backs and a creative midfielder. What's wrong with the idea?

Hammond's a bit of an option but his pace might serve the strikers well. And who would missing? The likes of Maybury, Nils and one of either Tiatto or Hughes.

I knew this would get complicated because there are perfectly sensible alternatives which effect similar changes: EG: Logan. Henderson; Same defensive back four, Hughes, Johnson, Porter; O'Grady, Fryatt, Hume.

However, whatever my team the same principles would apply right now of attacking full-backs, one creative midfielder and three busy strikers, one in the hole. At least until we get a proper winger that is.

But enlighten me. Who would you play that would make you watch so keenly?

Horrible team. I like your idea of it being abit different, but Hammond at right midfield? What credentials has that man got to be able to play right midfield? He's got pace that's it. His composure once he's got the ball is erratic, his distribution is questionable and i've never seen him tackle even if he is competetive and a trier. Also, leaving our best striker on the bench? Outrageous.

If I can pinch your system then surely it would be more dangerous if you played:

Logan/Henderson

Stearman, McCarthy, Kisnorbo, Sheehan

Wesolowski, Johnson, Porter/Tiatto

Hume

Fryatt, O'Grady

Wesolowski started out as a right winger and was exceptional on the right hand side of midfield down at QPR the night it all turned around for us last season. Everyone thinks Hume is more suited to playing behind the strikers, so in a diamond shape 4-4-2 it could be that Hume plays behind Fryatt and O'Grady and Johnson sits in dictating the midfield. Plus if we need to dig in and close out a match then O'Grady could drift out left and Hume out right giving us the added steel in midfield with the capabilities of counter attacking.

I'd have no problems with that at all and I've learned something cos I never realised Weso started out on the right side.

Anyway the only reason he's missing is cos I don't reckon he'll be a 90-minute option for a while yet.

But it was the principles I was trying to establish for moving us forward and I do like the idea of no-one being out of position. What a change that would be for a city side!

Archived