Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
escape2victory

Is our team actually stronger than last season ?

As a squad I think we have more depth than last season with signings like Kenton being able to play in a number of positions, but I feel that we havnt really strengthened our starting 11, maybe with the exception of Johnson.

If you look at our team in the home game against Crystal Palace last season, which i felt was our most complete performance under Rob Kelly, then Gudjohnson and Welsh have gone and been replaced with Johnson and Tiatto.

Midfield vs CP :

Hughes---Williams---Gudjonsson---Welsh

Probable midfield this season:

Maybury---Williams---Johnson---Tiatto

I personally feel that last seasons midfield is more balanced and gave us greater width. To change this I hope Hughes plays on the right in place of Maybury or even Hughes on the left and Low on the right

I think your right we have not really strengthened our starting 11 the only one who has come in who is likely to player regular is Johnson but I doubt he will get us the goals like Joey got us last year.

Now that we have some experience in midfield and an actual defensive element in Johnson I think that could contribute massively, Williams and Gudjonsson tended not to fully know who was meant to be the defensive element and who the attacking element at times, and with Wesolowski on the scene also if he can stay fit it looks good in the middle, my main concerns are still in the wide area's but as we went up last time with Scowcroft on one wing there are chances as long as we get better at set plays.

As a squad I think we have more depth than last season with signings like Kenton being able to play in a number of positions, but I feel that we havnt really strengthened our starting 11, maybe with the exception of Johnson.

If you look at our team in the home game against Crystal Palace last season, which i felt was our most complete performance under Rob Kelly, then Gudjohnson and Welsh have gone and been replaced with Johnson and Tiatto.

Midfield vs CP :

I personally feel that last seasons midfield is more balanced and gave us greater width. To change this I hope Hughes plays on the right in place of Maybury or even Hughes on the left and Low on the right

Well your exactly right in the asumption that our midfield at the later stages of last season was more balanced, however we do have a squad which has a little more depth this time which we were looking for last season.

Its a shame that we havnt been able to bring in quality players for certain positions i.e. on the wings however I havnt seen Josh Low and I'm not sure if he's a good player or not so I cant really judge.

But, like most things in life, it really does come down to money and to be fair to Rob Kelly at the start of the summer he was told he has £0 for transfers so that is definetly a huge factor in the squad and additions to the squad.

Well your exactly right in the asumption that our midfield at the later stages of last season was more balanced, however we do have a squad which has a little more depth this time which we were looking for last season.

Its a shame that we havnt been able to bring in quality players for certain positions i.e. on the wings however I havnt seen Josh Low and I'm not sure if he's a good player or not so I cant really judge.

But, like most things in life, it really does come down to money and to be fair to Rob Kelly at the start of the summer he was told he has £0 for transfers so that is definetly a huge factor in the squad and additions to the squad.

Year I said at the start of my argument that we have a deeper squad but I dont think we have a better starting 11 because Tiatto couldnt get into the team last season and he now looks set to be our left winger this time around. Plus do you have to use cliches in every sentance you write ??!!

Well I can't really fathom out where all this extra competition for places is coming from .

Yes we have more competition at the back with the addition of McAuley & Kenton although we've lost Gerrbrand but that's it as far as I can see except for the potential of the reserves.

Andy Johnson has been added to central midfield but we've lost Joey so no additional competition their.

The only other addition has been Low and he's only going to be used late in games to replace Maybury if after 80 minutes of trying to contain the oppo hasn't worked.

Competition up front hasn't increased neither has it on the left wing.

In addition we've lost Dublin, Wilcox, Wright, Morris, Hamill and in effect MDV admittedly not the greatest in terms of competition, so although we maybe stronger in the sense of a more compact reliable team I don't feel there is, apart from in defence greater competition.

Of course this could all change if the likes of Porter, Dodds et al come good.

Well I can't really fathom out where all this extra competition for places is coming from .

Yes we have more competition at the back with the addition of McAuley & Kenton although we've lost Gerrbrand but that's it as far as I can see except for the potential of the reserves.

Andy Johnson has been added to central midfield but we've lost Joey so no additional competition their.

The only other addition has been Low and he's only going to be used late in games to replace Maybury if after 80 minutes of trying to contain the oppo hasn't worked.

Competition up front hasn't increased neither has it on the left wing.

In addition we've lost Dublin, Wilcox, Wright, Morris, Hamill and in effect MDV admittedly not the greatest in terms of competition, so although we maybe stronger in the sense of a more compact reliable team I don't feel there is, apart from in defence greater competition.

Of course this could all change if the likes of Porter, Dodds et al come good.

There aren't as many guaranteed starters in the squad as there were last season.

Players will feel they have a better chance of being in the starting line up.

There aren't as many guaranteed starters in the squad as there were last season.

Players will feel they have a better chance of being in the starting line up.

So less competition then.

So less competition then.

It depends which way you look at it.

If you were in the squad last season and thought that no matter how well you impress in training you still didn't get into the side you may have thought sod it, but this year with more places up for grabs it may spur those players on and make them more determined to keep their place in the side should it come their way.

Logan against Henderson

Sheehan against Nils

Dodds against any striker

Gradel against /Low/Sylla

Porter/against any attacking midfielder and we've not got many.

Five potential first teamers for nothing laid out in fees.

Plus McAuley, Kenton, Low, Johnson.

Only Joey of the regular first team has left and perhaps you could count Dion so there's more first 16 competition, especially if you count Weso who didn't play much last season.

That's eight players more if Kelly demonstrates that they really are competing which I have my doubts about but we'll see.

Stronger? It depends how the new contestants perform IF they get any sort of chance.

Gradel, for instance, is lightweight and inexperienced but a far more threatening genuine winger than Low or Sylla have so far demonstrated.

Dodds is a goals machine but will he have a proper chance to show it?

And what about Logan. A seemingly good goalkeeper and potentially very good if he shows O'Grady type dedication.

Then there's Johnson who comes with a decent reputation and seems to be something we've needed.

The key man is Kelly. Where does he want to go with the team?

I'd say we're potentially stronger this season especially in two or three key areas.

But if Kelly thinks that too, then logically, there'll be some changes. Gradual maybe and doubtless from the bench mostly, but a definite shift in emphasis.

However, after last season, I'll still believe it when I see it. Kelly thinks a lot of his senior team. They earned him a job and kept him in it.

Midfield vs CP :

You make it sound like last season's midfield was actually any good!? :o:unsure::whistle:

What you have to ask, is our squad stronger than this time last year?

I would say yes.

Absolutely. A lot of the deadwood has been cleared or sidelined.

Culling every player over 25, as some on here seem to advocate, is a recipe for relegation.

What you have to ask, is our squad stronger than this time last year?

I would say yes.

I would agree but could you please replace Gerrbrand head with a city player, it really annoys me

They are currently the most effective options we have.

The wingers we had last season were too inconsistent.

And if the central midfield are struggling, Tiatto and Maybury can tuck in to add support.

The formation may seem a little cautious, but whether this proves to be the case will be seen in the early results.

I'll amend my opinion in view of alter developments and news that ome of our young contenders are set for loan spells and the others are almost certainly destined for the same at a later date.

No we're not stronger.

Kelly misled people by saying all places were up for grabs and I should have guessed that earlier.

Of the new signings Johnson is the only one to have impressed. And he is not as good as Joey.

I'm no longer at all encouraged by the prospects.

Surely your team is better with the signings of two true greats of the game:Darren Kenton and Andy Johnson.You will be an unstoppable force with those two galaticos in your side,oh and don't forgot the super talents of Rab Douglas,Danny Tiatto and Gareth Williams!

Surely your team is better with the signings of two true greats of the game:Darren Kenton and Andy Johnson.You will be an unstoppable force with those two galaticos in your side,oh and don't forgot the super talents of Rab Douglas,Danny Tiatto and Gareth Williams!

You're in League One.

Archived