Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Stuliasz

Our back four

I thought they all looked top notch tonight. Just hope Kenton's injury isn't too bad.

Prob'ly his 'amstrings, he's forever doing them in :ermm:

Won't be out too long, with some luck. Perhaps if Stearman gets his act together, Kenton will take Nissa's place instead. :ph34r:

Way too much hoofing and head tennis for my liking, I firmly believe if we'd have been able to get the ball down on the pitch a bit more wecould have made a much bigger impression.

As mentioned in another thread I noticed Hughes and Johnson running out of steam in the second half so a lot of the headers from the central defenders just kept coming back - I can't see why Hughes runs out of steam as apart from that that position is his for the taking. Does he like his pop by anu chance?

Good peformance by all though - Hendo a little shaky at times. Points like that make a big difference in the end.

Rob Kelly's

I really believe Kisnorbo can be a quality Premiership defender but the rest are fine in breaking up attacks (often the opposition have less than a hndful of chances) but, sadly, are almost collectively poor in their distribution and, unfortunately, RK has to address the issue.

Kenton's not too bad but we have to have accurate passing from left-back too.

Nisse did play better last night. He made important interceptions and got forward for some shots. But he simply cannot discipline himself to play simple balls to feet out of defence and I don't think the reason is that he isn't capable. I think it's self protection.

He's not the fastest on the turn and he knows it. If he passes short, he's got to support the move and find space. I feel he's afraid of getting caught when the ball's intercepted and therefore hits long to clear his own danger area and save his legs.

Trouble is, the long, hopeful flighted pass is not much use to Leicester. When you've got players like Alan Shearer or Crouchy then you might get away with it but, without O'Grady there's no chance with City's team.

So, once again, you need passing out of left-sided defence and that, together with a dominant, central midfielder who demands everything to feet and we will build some other vital links in our hopfully emerging side.

I really believe Kisnorbo can be a quality Premiership defender but the rest are fine in breaking up attacks (often the opposition have less than a hndful of chances) but, sadly, are almost collectively poor in their distribution and, unfortunately, RK has to address the issue.

Kenton's not too bad but we have to have accurate passing from left-back too.

Nisse did play better last night. He made important interceptions and got forward for some shots. But he simply cannot discipline himself to play simple balls to feet out of defence and I don't think the reason is that he isn't capable. I think it's self protection.

He's not the fastest on the turn and he knows it. If he passes short, he's got to support the move and find space. I feel he's afraid of getting caught when the ball's intercepted and therefore hits long to clear his own danger area and save his legs.

Trouble is, the long, hopeful flighted pass is not much use to Leicester. When you've got players like Alan Shearer or Crouchy then you might get away with it but, without O'Grady there's no chance with City's team.

So, once again, you need passing out of left-sided defence and that, together with a dominant, central midfielder who demands everything to feet and we will build some other vital links in our hopfully emerging side.

You might not of mentioned his name but we know you're still banging on about Sheehan!!!!! ;)

It doesn't have to be Sheehan.

Any left back who will pass the ball to feet and has the speed to support attacks will do fine.

I cannot imagine you are happy that we've got a midget team perpetually reaching for the skies for no sensible reason I can think of.

I've had to bang on long enough about Porter and O'Grady too ...Leicester never seem to be the fastest at picking their best footballers.

Then there's probably Logan and Dodds...followed by Gradel!.

All of them have one thing in common curiously. They try to retain possession outside the front third . They can and will play the ball on the deck and, Logan apart, all have the energy to support a move from start to finish.

It is sometimes uncomfortable being frank about players, and I realise you get irritated, but it really is time this club had a proper football team again.

It doesn't have to be Sheehan.

Any left back who will pass the ball to feet and has the speed to support attacks will do fine.

I cannot imagine you are happy that we've got a midget team perpetually reaching for the skies for no sensible reason I can think of.

I've had to bang on long enough about Porter and O'Grady too ...Leicester never seem to be the fastest at picking their best footballers.

Then there's probably Logan and Dodds...followed by Gradel!.

All of them have one thing in common curiously. They try to retain possession outside the front third . They can and will play the ball on the deck and, Logan apart, all have the energy to support a move from start to finish.

It is sometimes uncomfortable being frank about players, and I realise you get irritated, but it really is time this club had a proper football team again.

I understand your point Thracian but we do have an issue with our back four, we always look 'dodgy' at set pieces, and for that reason I can understand why Nils plays. For me it's a confidence thing, until the team and overcome this problem and start coping with set pieces, the Nils option will always be a prominant one to RK!!

In an attacking sense, full backs offer great supply and options, for which Sheehan would be ideal!!!

I thought our back for played very well yesterday myabe if we had williams fit to swap for hughes when he was getting tired we could have gone on to win that match we certainly had the chances too.

for this divsion we are solid enough, kenton looks good, Kisnorbo is great, McCarthy is good but occasionally rash. Nissa is okay but isn't a full back.

I'm not going to blame Stearman for our defense looking a bit shaky late on, when Hughes and Johnson ran out of steam we invited pressure on ourselves.

Our defense needs more options in particular a box to box midfielder to link up play. I'm hoping Weso becomes this player.

If we stick with Levi and Low (which i would we need someone who can head the ball up front with fyatt - O'Grady? Hume is a great footballer though.

Weso and Hume as our new midfield pairing perhaps?

Maybe Weso is lacking match fitness so that didn't help him being the only player to bring on in centre mid when williams is avaliable we should be ok.

I understand your point Thracian but we do have an issue with our back four, we always look 'dodgy' at set pieces, and for that reason I can understand why Nils plays. For me it's a confidence thing, until the team and overcome this problem and start coping with set pieces, the Nils option will always be a prominant one to RK!!

In an attacking sense, full backs offer great supply and options, for which Sheehan would be ideal!!!

Unfortunately Nissa is often the weakest part of our defending of set pieces as the oppo can move quicker than he can and get in front of him/find spaces away from him so I don't believe that jsutifies his inclusion.

Maybe Weso is lacking match fitness so that didn't help him being the only player to bring on in centre mid when williams is avaliable we should be ok.

That game would have passed Willaims by.

I know it looks like I have a down on Nils but I don't and well recognise exactly what you say about his defending. He also has a presence I like and I think he's an extremely valuable squad member.

Were he acting as the shadow centre-back, I've no problem.

It's just that the team is handicapped by having three defenders who ALL pass the ball badly and left-back is the position where the problem can be eased most for everyone. With a creative left-back even the centre-backs might have and use a simple passing option.

It seems like the problem will be a long time getting solved.

RK seems to put the defensive considerations first and clearly he doesn't think Sheehan is good enough defensively (and he may be right, it's so long since I saw him play).

But while the problem remains the team will find it hard to "flow" and giving away possession too easily will cost us eventually.

A new signing that could satisfy all the demands would be too costly. Both Nils and Sheehan are decent players in their way but whether either can overcome their weaknesses sufficiently remains to be seen.

I hope so because both could be valuable though it won't be helping Sheehan not to be involved.

for this divsion we are solid enough, kenton looks good, Kisnorbo is great, McCarthy is good but occasionally rash. Nissa is okay but isn't a full back.

I'm not going to blame Stearman for our defense looking a bit shaky late on, when Hughes and Johnson ran out of steam we invited pressure on ourselves.

Our defense needs more options in particular a box to box midfielder to link up play. I'm hoping Weso becomes this player.

If we stick with Levi and Low (which i would we need someone who can head the ball up front with fyatt - O'Grady? Hume is a great footballer though.

Weso and Hume as our new midfield pairing perhaps?

I don't know if it would work but it would be interesting to look at.

a) Because both are positive footballers who can play to feet.

b) Because Hume can score and we don't have a midfield marksman.

c) Both have the energy to support attacks.

d) Hume is capable enough anywhere and that would allow Porter to move inside at times.

e) Hume is quite good in the air as a midfielder.

f) The alternatives are limited.

Trouble is, right now, I don't think Weso has the match fitness to sustain 90 minutes so Hughes would probably be the safer starter.

Just food for thought really but there are problems in midfield that need solving - passing to feet and goals.

Pat on the back to Kisnorbo from here as well, he was absolutly brillant last night. He indeed could be an excellent Premiership defender - I just hope its with us he gets some Prem play in the end. The back four overall last night were excellent, if the hoofing was stopped we could possibly have the best back four in the league. I also loved the commitment last night - they just weren't going to let Cov in if they could help it.

Unfortunately Nissa is often the weakest part of our defending of set pieces as the oppo can move quicker than he can and get in front of him/find spaces away from him so I don't believe that jsutifies his inclusion.

Nils isn't fabulous but at set pieces they all bad as each other IMO......I saw Leicester's defence get out muscled more then once yesterday, and Matt heath had one of the easiest headers and luckily missed, after he easily brushed aside Kisnorbo!!!! They lack belief in there defending set pieces and seem to get beat in the air comfortably!!!

I know it looks like I have a down on Nils but I don't and well recognise exactly what you say about his defending. He also has a presence I like and I think he's an extremely valuable squad member.

Were he acting as the shadow centre-back, I've no problem.

It's just that the team is handicapped by having three defenders who ALL pass the ball badly and left-back is the position where the problem can be eased most for everyone. With a creative left-back even the centre-backs might have and use a simple passing option.

It seems like the problem will be a long time getting solved.

RK seems to put the defensive considerations first and clearly he doesn't think Sheehan is good enough defensively (and he may be right, it's so long since I saw him play).

But while the problem remains the team will find it hard to "flow" and giving away possession too easily will cost us eventually.

A new signing that could satisfy all the demands would be too costly. Both Nils and Sheehan are decent players in their way but whether either can overcome their weaknesses sufficiently remains to be seen.

I hope so because both could be valuable though it won't be helping Sheehan not to be involved.

Not at all Thracian I do think you have a valid point in playing left back in that position instead of a 3rd centre back. My point was that RK feels more comfortable playing a 3rd centre back, as he feels that he needs to compensate for the other 2!!!

the problem with defending set pieces at present is you have to have confidence in your goalkeeper and at present both rab and hendo do not inspire confidence in the crowd nor do i believe in the four defenders in front of them.

we have a good backfour for this division but the goalkeeping is rather poor for this level in all honesty.

i know from talking to other supporters that both kisnorbo and paddymac are rated and coveted.

kenton is a good defender too though stearman is obviously off his game at present he does have the ability.

nissa is doing well but really is very slow but works well with the other three at the back.

mcauley and sheehan still need to prove themselves but if they are good enough then their chance will come.

Archived