Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
lookwhaticando

Porter's performance

Since it was his full debut, I think it's only fair he gets a topic of his own.

How did he cut it out there last night? From what I heard on the interweb (courtest of Five Live) he sounded like a very busy man in the last 10 minutes of the first half. He seemed to be sending the ball in the direction of the goal or players around the goal as often as he possibly could. I don't recall hearing him losing the ball often (if at all?)

But I'd like to know how he got on from people who actually saw him in action - eiter on the gogglebox or at the Ricoh Arena.

Cheers :cheers:^_^

Big thing about Levi is his precise passing. He doesn't waste the ball but tries to pick people out directly. In the back two thirds he does the simple thing and in the front third he is always looking for the killer pass.

The other thing is his phenomenal workrate. Many's the time he was back in the last 25 yards of the pitch either providing an outlet ball, blocking a shot or simply harrassing.

He must be a brilliant player to have around you because he's always available and if you make a run he'll play the pass to your feet.

Add to this his ability to take corners and free kicks and the fact he can right, left or midfield and you have an extremely valuable and versatile footballer.

If the rest of the team could retain possession like he does at his best then we'd soon go to the top of the table.

A players player is Levi but one who adds to the days entertainment value as well.

I think he is a fantastic prospect. he is quick, can play a decent pass and can dribble. i first saw him 2 years ago and he looked a good little player then, he is similiar to Aaron Lennon or Shaun Wright-phillips. Rob Kelly should give him more first team action.

Big thing about Levi is his precise passing. He doesn't waste the ball but tries to pick people out directly. In the back two thirds he does the simple thing and in the front third he is always looking for the killer pass.

The other thing is his phenomenal workrate. Many's the time he was back in the last 25 yards of the pitch either providing an outlet ball, blocking a shot or simply harrassing.

He must be a brilliant player to have around you because he's always available and if you make a run he'll play the pass to your feet.

Add to this his ability to take corners and fre kicks and the fact he can right, left or midfield and you have an extremely valuable and versatile footballer.

If the rest of the team could retain possession like he does at his best then we'd soon go to the top of the table.

A players player is Levi but one who adds to the days entertainment value as well.

Made me smile :whistle::D:D:thumbup:

Thought he did a decent job and definitely looks like one to watch for the future. Didn't look overawed and unlike some in the team didn't waste possession. He seemed composed when he had the ball and did what he should have done - took his chance when he got it after Tiatto's injury. Other players have already been given chances this season and not taken them like Porter did.

Look forward to seeing more of him in the future.

I bet it wound that maniac Adams up that we in fact had 3 teenagers in our team that are good, that were there in the days when we preferred pensioners in our team. Good on you Levi for really getting to Adams with a fine first full match display.

What do you want me to say?

I don't think he will make it at this level, if I am wrong so be it.

Just because Barton doesn't see Porter as the second coming doesn't mean he can't say it as he sees it.

Personally I thought Porter was average. Definite potential but how many times have we seen that in someone and never reaped the rewards.

Just because there's a bandwagon heading into town, don't expect everyone to jump on it.

I was just going to post that it was great that everyone's giving Levi so much praise and encouragement!.

Four points out of six and a 3-1 aggregate from his part in two matches is a good enough start to anyone's career.

He'll make it alright. The guy's got character... a bit of efforvescence if you like. He always seems positive, never hides even on a bad day and I see far worse players every week than he is already.

If he stays focused on improving and doesn't let the limelight get to him, he'll do us proud.

Have faith Barton.

I was just going to post that it was great that everyone's giving Levi so much praise and encouragement!.

Four points out of six and a 3-1 aggregate from his part in two matches is a good enough start to anyone's career.

He'll make it alright. The guy's got character... a bit of efforvescence if you like. He always seems positive, never hides even on a bad day and I see far worse players every week than he is already.

If he stays focused on improving and doesn't let the limelight get to him, he'll do us proud.

Have faith Barton.

Why?

Two mediocre performances against 2 of the worst teams I have seen in a long time doesn't mean he is going to make it.

He's had months of decent performances it's just that, every time he plays, someone ridicules the quality of the opposition.

I've seen him play against better Reserves teams than the first team Ipswich showed up with but Manwell tells me those matches don't count.

Liverpool got a couple of injuries today, perhaps he could guest for them briefly just to get some worthy opposition.

You've understandably grumbled about the standard of Coventry and Ipswich but I've never reckoned the Championship is anything special anyway. Sunderland lost 3-0 to Southend today and still haven't won a game so I imagine there's plenty more dross to be seen yet.

And that is all evidence to me that Levi will have no trouble coping. Or some of our other promising young players for that matter.

In fact, anyone who can pass the ball properly has a chance.

Think of our more experienced players, the ones who have had Premiership experience, and ask yourself whether people like Logan, O'Grady, Porter, Sheehan, Gradel etc cannot play as well as them. There's no doubts in my mind if their attitudes are good.

And it sure beats being pessimistic.

Think of our more experienced players, the ones who have had Premiership experience, and ask yourself whether people like Logan, O'Grady, Porter, Sheehan, Gradel etc cannot play as well as them. There's no doubts in my mind if their attitudes are good.

And it sure beats being pessimistic.

A player can look much better than they actually are if they have a good attitude, cos they're more commited and prepared to give all they have for the team. Unless the players want to leave, their attitude should be fine, and considering the standard of the teams in the championship, and the early rounds of the cup, I don't think the youth players would struggle at all. Infact, it'd be a good time to give them their chance in the side to see how they adapt and cope

Sometimes a great attitude can make an indifferent player better than a skillful one. Some of us old timers remember a centre forward called Frank Large.

Never a pretty player - in fact decidedly cumbersome - but he became a cult figure at City because he would run through any barrier in City's cause and frequently left two or three writhing opponents in his wake.

Indeed there are lots of players with modest skills who've made excellent careers in professsional football and the youngsters I've mentioned have far more than modest skills.

Sometimes a great attitude can make an indifferent player better than a skillful one.

and the youngsters I've mentioned have far more than modest skills.

That's the point I'm making, if an average player has the right attitude they may well perform better than many of the more gifted players with a worse attitude that are in the side.

With our younger players having a lot of talent and potential to be big names in the future, playing for a club like Leicester, they should have no trouble getting the right attitude, so performing at a high level shouldn't be as much trouble

Sometimes a great attitude can make an indifferent player better than a skillful one. Some of us old timers remember a centre forward called Frank Large.

Never a pretty player - in fact decidedly cumbersome - but he became a cult figure at City because he would run through any barrier in City's cause and frequently left two or three writhing opponents in his wake.

Indeed there are lots of players with modest skills who've made excellent careers in professsional football and the youngsters I've mentioned have far more than modest skills.

He'd never play this days, he'd be able to decorate his front room with yellow cards, not that he was a dirty player. just that you can't shoulder to shoulder charge these days the wimp you are charging would produce a flying leap good enough to earn a gold medal at the Olympics.

That's the point I'm making, if an average player has the right attitude they may well perform better than many of the more gifted players with a worse attitude that are in the side.

With our younger players having a lot of talent and potential to be big names in the future, playing for a club like Leicester, they should have no trouble getting the right attitude, so performing at a high level shouldn't be as much trouble

As in Williams :D

Apparently nowadays, if you make a slide tackle, and you do not go through the bottom of the ball (say if you hit the middle of the ball and win it without touching the man) it is an automatic freekick and could result in a booking, as do many shoulder challenges, and clean aerial battles (i.e Rooney in the Amsterdam Tourny). Football is soon to be the next Basketball, and the only way you will be able to win the ball back is if your opponent mis-controls it, so we're buggered if we continue playing Elvis!

Archived