Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
lookwhaticando

Porter's performance

He played fairly well, the most important thing is he offered a little more than Tiatto does is most games. So on that basis i'm happy for the lad to keep getting his chance.

People are, once again, getting carried away with a half decent debut. For me Low was more impressive until he faded badly about the same time Levi did.

Sometimes a great attitude can make an indifferent player better than a skillful one. Some of us old timers remember a centre forward called Frank Large.

Never a pretty player - in fact decidedly cumbersome - but he became a cult figure at City because he would run through any barrier in City's cause and frequently left two or three writhing opponents in his wake.

Indeed there are lots of players with modest skills who've made excellent careers in professsional football and the youngsters I've mentioned have far more than modest skills.

Robbie Savage being a fine example........

He played fairly well, the most important thing is he offered a little more than Tiatto does is most games. So on that basis i'm happy for the lad to keep getting his chance.

People are, once again, getting carried away with a half decent debut. For me Low was more impressive until he faded badly about the same time Levi did.

Spot on sir :thumbup:

I'm not going to argue with anyone about who was more impressive. I'm just pleased we've got two wide men and I'm pleased it seems to have improved our fortunes.

Porter is actually continuing his development on the wing because it is in that vital kingpin role in midfield where he'd play best.

But no matter, in considering his performance I just wish someone had attached a mileometer to the lad. Low might have taken his defender on more but it might also be a good idea to see the ground Porter covers in a match.

Like I said, he's a players player. And if I were a manager I'd like 9 other outfielders with his skills and attitude - different sizes of course.

Why?

Two mediocre performances against 2 of the worst teams I have seen in a long time doesn't mean he is going to make it.

You've understandably grumbled about the standard of Coventry and Ipswich but I've never reckoned the Championship is anything special anyway. Sunderland lost 3-0 to Southend today and still haven't won a game so I imagine there's plenty more dross to be seen yet.

I agree with Thracian. I could understand criticising the quality of team if we had just played Macclesfield, but regardless of how Cov or Ipwich played they are some (not all of course) of the standard of opposition we are going to face in this division. So if any player plays well against them why not get behind them, after all were looking for players to do a job in the here and now, playing against teams such as Coventry and Ipswich not Chelsea and Liverpool.

Is Porter a natural left winger? I always thought he was right-footed.

I'm no expert, but I believe him to be a lefty.

Look at all the pictures of him in the photo specials on the OS... always moving the ball with his left.

Either that or he's ambiguous, as Derek Trotter would say ^_^

He's played on both wings and often, during his last six months of Reserves football, in central midfield with a fairly free role with Gradel featuring at right wing.

He seems equally at home moving the ball left or right and was so dictating play from January onwards that I likened him to the little General Napoleon.

he sounded like a very busy man in the last 10 minutes of the first half

:thumbup:

There were a few of them who picked up their game in the last 10 mins, but Porter especially played his spot well during the first half. I think most would say he performed like an established player as opposed to a second half sub.

Nobody stood out in that game. Agree with HF and Babs to be fair. I thought he offered no more than Tiatto has, even with some dodgy challenges.... :whistle:

He looked busy and useful. Might well become a good player for us. He's no messiah figure though - simply useful and enterprising. Faded badly in the second half. If he wants to become a genuinely good player here he needs to find a way to conserve a little energy or just gain stamina.

He looked busy and useful. Might well become a good player for us. He's no messiah figure though - simply useful and enterprising. Faded badly in the second half. If he wants to become a genuinely good player here he needs to find a way to conserve a little energy or just gain stamina.

Apart from Hughes I doubt there's anyone in the club with more stamina. He'll just be adjusting to the new pace and will still be a little short of match practice.

I've said before, he doesn't have the raw pace to be an outstanding winger. His strength is in his ability to see a pass and weight it perfectly. He can and will do that on the wing but, once he's settled, he has the ability to orchestrate things in midfield given chance and assuming there's a vacancy.

Not that it matters greatly. Levi's a versatile player who covers a lot of ground and he'll do what's required for the team wherever he's selected.

I don't think it was really a question of fading - MA brought on wide players to counter him and Low. Effective really, because they certainly damped them both down. Which does question how good is Porter when he isn't given space.

I don't think it was really a question of fading - MA brought on wide players to counter him and Low. Effective really, because they certainly damped them both down. Which does question how good is Porter when he isn't given space.

There are few players who are really good when denied space. I remember Leicester having a guy called Alan Woollett who really made a name for himself limpet-marking the top names of the day and barely allowing them a kick.

I think much more of the reason for Porter seeing less of the ball was the inability of our team to get the ball down in defence and midfield and to find time to offer any supply to the wings.

On a couple of particular occasons a pass left was on and the City player turned the opposite way and into trouble.

A solution would have been for Hume to drift out wide and Porter to move inside to get the ball and re-establish supply lines. Or, better still, for Porter to drift in to help retain possession and for an attacking left back to retain the width, if we had one!.

Porter won't have the authority to effect such decisions at this stage so, as it turned out, Hume played a deepish roll, Fryatt was left isolated and there was little supply to the left.

You#re right. Porter did make a dodgy challenge. Why don't you type out a list of dodgy Tiatto challenges over the last 12 months if there's enough space. :whistle:
One? And the rest....

Although I must apologise, seriously. I forgot that our academy players are beyond any form of criticism. :rolleyes:

Although I must apologise, seriously. I forgot that our academy players are beyond any form of criticism. :rolleyes:

They aren't beyond any form of criticism. It's just that some posters on here want to sheild them from all criticism until they are settled in the first team. As if when they make the first team they won't be critisized by anybody, including people on here :whistle::rolleyes:

One? And the rest....

You remind me of an old dark room. You're full of negatives.

As least when I feel that way I try to turn em into positives by suggesting solutions.

You just make cryptic comments which criticise but rarely suggest solutions.

You remind me of an old dark room. You're full of negatives.

As least when I feel that way I try to turn em into positives by suggesting solutions.

You just make cryptic comments which criticise but rarely suggest solutions.

And still it goes on....

How does thinking a player is ordinary constitute a negative?

Danny Thomas or John Stevenson.

That is all.

Harsh statement. I'd take the lads two performances at face value and say that 'so far so good'.

I'm not getting excited yet, he's got alot of hard work ahead of him to make it but if he plays like he has done in his two appearances then he'll be quite useful for us.

Archived