Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
davieG

The COG & Vital Football

This ANON persons not too keen on the COG.

A bit disengenuous to say the least,

He has only scored two goals for the first team, one of them coming in the League cup against lower opposition.

He's only made to starts!!!!!!

Source

I can’t understand why some fans are so positive about Chris O’Grady, for me he is an average player at best. He has only scored two goals for the first team, one of them coming in the League cup against lower opposition.

He seems to lack pace and the only thing he offers up front is that he can hold the ball up long enough to be surround by 3 or 4 of the opposition.

It baffles me how somebody like O’Grady will get cheered by some City fans and yet Marc De Vries used to get booed. I'm not suggesting that MDV is a world class player, but he is certainly as good if not better then O’Grady.

O’Grady seems to be another example of Leicester fans supporting a player due to no other fact then he was a member of the youth set up and has progressed through the ranks.

If you listen to rumours from within the club you will believe that O’Grady recently received an internal ban, meaning that he was left out of the squad for four games. This shows that he is starting to believe he is a bigger star then he actually is. Unfortunately I consider O’Grady to be punching above his weight and the sooner Rob Kelly partners Matty Fryatt and Ian Hume back together, the better.

Anon.

This ANON persons not too keen on the COG.

A bit disengenuous to say the least,

He's only made to starts!!!!!!

Source

I can’t understand why some fans are so positive about Chris O’Grady, for me he is an average player at best. He has only scored two goals for the first team, one of them coming in the League cup against lower opposition.

He seems to lack pace and the only thing he offers up front is that he can hold the ball up long enough to be surround by 3 or 4 of the opposition.

It baffles me how somebody like O’Grady will get cheered by some City fans and yet Marc De Vries used to get booed. I'm not suggesting that MDV is a world class player, but he is certainly as good if not better then O’Grady.

O’Grady seems to be another example of Leicester fans supporting a player due to no other fact then he was a member of the youth set up and has progressed through the ranks.

If you listen to rumours from within the club you will believe that O’Grady recently received an internal ban, meaning that he was left out of the squad for four games. This shows that he is starting to believe he is a bigger star then he actually is. Unfortunately I consider O’Grady to be punching above his weight and the sooner Rob Kelly partners Matty Fryatt and Ian Hume back together, the better.

Anon.

He wasn't left out for four games. And he has very rarely been asked to play as a striker so it would be nice for the facts to be considered alongside the opinion.

Fryatt and Hume are very similar in many ways and I said in the close season that they'd struggle to score as freely this season a) because the opposition will be aware of them and b) because of insufficient attacking support which has now being corrected to some extent. I even had a bet about it.

Sounds like Thracian.

It sounds absolutely nothing like Thracian to me.

This reflects the problem people have with Thracian on here, you should actually try reading what he say's, yes the can be a bit long but you might learn something, start here.

I still don't think he's all that. I get the sense that players like Low and O'Grady are being overrated simply because they are being compared to what came before (i.e. Maybury and Hammond). I will quite happily admit to being wrong in six months time if COG in particular has goals on the board and is playing well but he looks so average to me.

This reflects the problem people have with Thracian on here, you should actually try reading what he say's, yes the can be a bit long but you might learn something, start here.

:thumbup:

Alot of people are getting on this 'Thracian' bandwagon without justification or meaningful dialogue!!!! :angry:

But i'm sure he's more of a match for most and doesn't require me sticking up for him!!!!

I'm sure in another thread earlier today someone was bashing Thracian, and then about 4/5 people then all stated the same thing pretty much at the same time - Thracian makes very long posts and he can moan a bit, but he makes very good points quite often on mosts subjects he touches upon, you just have to read through his posts and understand them in order to pick them out

I still don't think he's all that. I get the sense that players like Low and O'Grady are being overrated simply because they are being compared to what came before (i.e. Maybury and Hammond). I will quite happily admit to being wrong in six months time if COG in particular has goals on the board and is playing well but he looks so average to me.

AT the moment all of our strikers look average, none have actually 'fired' on all cylinders. COG offers something the other strikers don't, and that's strength and a physical presence!!!!

Where do people get the idea that we all like players just because they've come through the academy and we hate all players because they are ex-forest e.g Williams.

I for one find this highly insulting and I resent it most strongly. I juudge players on merit, not where they come from.

Did the fans all love Jordan Stewart, Did they all hate Gary Mills. No, No, No.

Stop using it as a crutch to strengthen your point of view.

Where do people get the idea that we all like players just because they've come through the academy and we hate all players because they are ex-forest e.g Williams.

I for one find this highly insulting and I resent it most strongly. I juudge players on merit, not where they come from.

Did the fans all love Jordan Stewart, Did they all hate Gary Mills. No, No, No.

Stop using it as a crutch to strengthen your point of view.

Who was that aimed at???????

There's nothing wrong with that though is there, we are broke, if Low and O'Grady are an improvement that justifies them receiving praise not condemnation as not being good enough. Otherwise no player could be praised unless they were the best in the world in that position.

Besides criticising a player who has made two starts as only having scored two goals shows a very limited justification of their opinion.

Academy players by definition will get more leeway than a purchased established player because they are debutants and still learning. If they subsequently don't deliver as in Stef Oakes they'll get short shift from the fans.

Who was that aimed at???????

The writer of the article.

There's nothing wrong with that though is there, we are broke, if Low and O'Grady are an improvement that justifies them receiving praise not condemnation as not being good enough. Otherwise no player could be praised unless they were the best in the world in that position.

Besides criticising a player who has made two starts as only having scored two goals shows a very limited justification of their opinion.

Academy players by definition will get more leeway than a purchased established player because they are debutants and still learning. If they subsequently don't deliver as in Stef Oakes they'll get short shift from the fans.

It depends how you want to rate them. If you're rating Low and O'Grady in relative terms to Maybury and Hammond then yeah they're world beaters. But when I see O'Grady getting 8s from tons of people for his performance against Southend, it makes me wonder what we're going to expect from our team and be happy with. Is it just effort or do we expect a certain level of skill as well? Be it someone from our youth team or not, whenever I see O'Grady he reminds me of Trevor Benjamin. Yes, he offers us a different option in terms of his power and aggression but he needs to learn to play the ball rather than the man for a start. He has a long way to go to be up to the standard I expect of a Leicester City player. I don't want someone who's just good enough for a lower mid-table Championship club, I want to see a sign that he will be able to hack it in the Premiership, players like Fryatt and Kisnorbo.

I would never criticise a player based on his goalscoring unless it was bad in the extreme a la Elvis Hammond. People who do that are often being too simplistic.

I realise I'm fighting a tide here but all I can do is state my opinion based on what I've seen. I realise everyone loves COG.

It depends how you want to rate them. If you're rating Low and O'Grady in relative terms to Maybury and Hammond then yeah they're world beaters. But when I see O'Grady getting 8s from tons of people for his performance against Southend, it makes me wonder what we're going to expect from our team and be happy with. Is it just effort or do we expect a certain level of skill as well? Be it someone from our youth team or not, whenever I see O'Grady he reminds me of Trevor Benjamin. Yes, he offers us a different option in terms of his power and aggression but he needs to learn to play the ball rather than the man for a start. He has a long way to go to be up to the standard I expect of a Leicester City player. I don't want someone who's just good enough for a lower mid-table Championship club, I want to see a sign that he will be able to hack it in the Premiership, players like Fryatt and Kisnorbo.

I would never criticise a player based on his goalscoring unless it was bad in the extreme a la Elvis Hammond. People who do that are often being too simplistic.

I realise I'm fighting a tide here but all I can do is state my opinion based on what I've seen. I realise everyone loves COG.

I understand your point Fezz, I for one was not overly impressed by anyone in the city team (vs Southend) but COG was the best of a mediocre bunch, for that I give him credit BUT like you I still expect better. I'm optimistic but I hope RK doesn't emply a defensive strategy every time we go a goal ahead and for the 90 minutes away from home!!!

I respect your opinion completely because you do justify it, in fact I'm not sure I even disagree with you as we seem to be talking about issues that have a relative aspect to them. One thing I would disagree on is your comparison with Benjamin although if you just mean in terms of playing the ball and not the man then I probably do agree.

Irony can be sometimes hard to detect. But since that writer's views were diametrically opposed to Thracian's, I thought there was a clue there.

Woooooooosh, I think you got me there :) , however I do offer the excuse that there have been similar posts to yours where they were definitely not being ironic.

Archived