Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Sods

West Brom on saturday

Yes.

a) I think O'Grady, Fryatt, Hume are three of our best players and they could all be accommodated if Hume was used successfully in attacking midfield.

b) It would replace the largely ineffective Hughes with a much more potent player.

c) Although continuing to play with two wingers, Porter is a natural midfield player and can supplement that area when and if necessary.

d) We increase our goalscoring potential by one player, while retaining our energy.

e) The team should have greater fluidity because Hume can interchange with O'Grady and probably Low much more easily and effectively than Hughes and even for a period of time if necessary.

f) COG holds the ball extremely well and Hume is far better suited to taking advantage of the lay-offs than Hughes, especially having operated as a striker.

g) It will enable us to put Dodds on the bench as a direct potential substitute for one of our strikers instead of having such a prolific striker remaining uninvolved.

h) If it didn't work would losing at West Brom when so few expect more than a draw be the worst disaster of our history considering what we might learn and the chance that it might even enable us to win ?

You make a compelling point Thrac. The question remains though, will it happen?

Yes.

a) I think O'Grady, Fryatt, Hume are three of our best players and they could all be accommodated if Hume was used successfully in attacking midfield.

b) It would replace the largely ineffective Hughes with a much more potent player.

c) Although continuing to play with two wingers, Porter is a natural midfield player and can supplement that area when and if necessary.

d) We increase our goalscoring potential by one player, while retaining our energy.

e) The team should have greater fluidity because Hume can interchange with O'Grady and probably Low much more easily and effectively than Hughes and even for a period of time if necessary.

f) COG holds the ball extremely well and Hume is far better suited to taking advantage of the lay-offs than Hughes, especially having operated as a striker.

g) It will enable us to put Dodds on the bench as a direct potential substitute for one of our strikers instead of having such a prolific striker remaining uninvolved.

h) If it didn't work would losing at West Brom when so few expect more than a draw be the worst disaster of our history considering what we might learn and the chance that it might even enable us to win ?

Is it really worth the risk when our current set up could win any way and is more likely to get a point. We need to frustrate for them for periods if we want to get anything out of the game. If we try and play them at football for 90 minutes they are going to beat us they are alot better going foward than us and they're at home.

I actually agree with the Hume as an attacking midfielder idea. It solves a lot of the problems that we had against Southend and in previous poor games such as Luton away. The Southend win just papered over the cracks.

You can't criticise Kelly for not trying it at the Hawthorns though. It's one of the toughest games of the entire season and we have been keeping clean sheets and have notched a few wins lately.

Why? Johnson has yet to prove himself worthy of a place in the team. When he's played he's been well off the pace. Why should we persist- just because he's 'experienced'? Absolute piffle. If he's fit then Weso should play. He was excellent (when not injured) last season. I had thought that Hughes and Weso might be the best answer but the more I think about it the more I think he would be better with Williams. He is the perfect foil for Williams- it might actually allow him the time to pick out the killer passes and to get forwards more to support the front two.

piffle? nice!!!

simon,

i would to throw caution to the wind and play youngsters, stick sheehan in a left back etc, and love to see a midfield of wesolowski and williams. that would be my prefered choice. i just think maybe that is asking a bit much of wesolowski after months out injured to come back into what will be a really tough game particularly if another youngster, low, should play as well. thats why i think johnson should start on saturday.

as for johnson, i dont think he performed well for the opening couple of games but i think he has been finding his feet the past couple of games and has been doing a lot better.

piffle? nice!!!

simon,

i would to throw caution to the wind and play youngsters, stick sheehan in a left back etc, and love to see a midfield of wesolowski and williams. that would be my prefered choice. i just think maybe that is asking a bit much of wesolowski after months out injured to come back into what will be a really tough game particularly if another youngster, low, should play as well. thats why i think johnson should start on saturday.

as for johnson, i dont think he performed well for the opening couple of games but i think he has been finding his feet the past couple of games and has been doing a lot better.

I think AS will be in the Mansfield squad to play Hereford.

Is it really worth the risk when our current set up could win any way and is more likely to get a point. We need to frustrate for them for periods if we want to get anything out of the game. If we try and play them at football for 90 minutes they are going to beat us they are alot better going foward than us and they're at home.

Not true, they haven't anyone with pace in their entire squad. Kisnorbo shouldn't have a problem dealing with West Brom's slightly better option to De Vries in Hartson. And with Curtis Davies out, their defence should be all over the place so we have to go there and put them under pressure, early on and throughout the game.

The only thing we have to be concerned about is if they decide to bring Koumas back early.

Not true, they haven't anyone with pace in their entire squad. Kisnorbo shouldn't have a problem dealing with West Brom's slightly better option to De Vries in Hartson. And with Curtis Davies out, their defence should be all over the place so we have to go there and put them under pressure, early on and throughout the game.

The only thing we have to be concerned about is if they decide to bring Koumas back early.

Good point.

Koumas was quality against us last year for Cardiff and think he would have the better of our midfeild if he was to play, He rules the midfeild better than our midfeilders.

Early? Not read this then I take it

Also look at the names he has around him. I remember we are probabley going to play Tiatto Johnson Hughes and Low. Go all out at them at the Hawthorns for 90 minutes we will lose.

Also look at the names he has around him. I remember we are probabley going to play Tiatto Johnson Hughes and Low. Go all out at them at the Hawthorns for 90 minutes we will lose.

Cornish Nick "...I was just looking at some of the comments on Robson etc.....and a thought crossed my mind...how would the team we have play if Brian Clough was their manager...I bet we'd be top....It would also be interesting to think how many of the team he would keep....Any thoughts..."

My main thought, Cornish Nick (if indeed that is your real name) is that Brian Clough is dead and would be a shite manager this season.

Not go all out attack, just more positive than we have been in away games. Otherwise we're going to struggle to pick up enough points.

I don't think anyone here would choose that midfield, but put a midfield together to go to West Brom and attack them when the opportunity arises and I'm sure we'll more than match them. They really are not as good as some people on here are talking them up to be :rolleyes: .

It's all well and good sitting back soaking up pressure and frustrating them, but it'll be them the most likely to score and take the points as it has been the past couple of years under Levein and Kelly this season. We have to learn to hit teams on the break away from home, that means having more pace and flair in midfield. There is enough of that in this midfield, but also enough for the times we're under pressure as these players apart from Williams track back.

Porter - Williams/Hughes - Weso - Low/Stearman/Gradel.

I know it's unlikely to happen against West Brom, but it shouldn't be. :thumbup:

Not go all out attack, just more positive than we have been in away games. Otherwise we're going to struggle to pick up enough points.

I don't think anyone here would choose that midfield, but put a midfield together to go to West Brom and attack them when the opportunity arises and I'm sure we'll more than match them. They really are not as good as some people on here are talking them up to be :rolleyes: .

It's all well and good sitting back soaking up pressure and frustrating them, but it'll be them the most likely to score and take the points as it has been the past couple of years under Levein and Kelly this season. We have to learn to hit teams on the break away from home, that means having more pace and flair in midfield. There is enough of that in this midfield, but also enough for the times we're under pressure as these players apart from Williams track back.

Porter - Williams/Hughes - Weso - Low/Stearman/Gradel.

I know it's unlikely to happen against West Brom, but it shouldn't be. :thumbup:

Ahha, im not saying soak it up for 90 mins any more than I am saying go for a head on assault, 15 minutes of settling down and showing West Brom we wont be broken down easy should be enough to stop the Baggies fans boinging and subdue their team. Then we step it up, I agree they are far from unbeatable, like most teams in this league.

Porter, don't see him playing, and whether or not thats for the best im unsure. As long as Maybury doesn't resurface and we have Williams or Hughes in the midfield I wont be to fussed.

Ahha, im not saying soak it up for 90 mins any more than I am saying go for a head on assault, 15 minutes of settling down and showing West Brom we wont be broken down easy should be enough to stop the Baggies fans boinging and subdue their team. Then we step it up, I agree they are far from unbeatable, like most teams in this league.

Porter, don't see him playing, and whether or not thats for the best im unsure. As long as Maybury doesn't resurface and we have Williams or Hughes in the midfield I wont be to fussed.

You've stopped drinking haven't you? :(

It's shaping up as a real selection test for RK. Just what he's needed really. Something to test his grey cells. He's had five away games without a win and the question for him now is does he keep faith with a more attacking policy or revert to the Luton way with his massed ranks of defenders and harriers?.

It's shaping up as a real selection test for RK. Just what he's needed really. Something to test his grey cells. He's had five without a win and the question for him now is does he keep faith with a more attacking policy or revert to the Luton way with his massed ranks of defenders and harriers?.

I think he will go with the defensive approach....and if we go a goal down early on, I fear we will get dicked. We will have the usual vocal Baggies support baying for blood and no real confidence from a non scoring attacking line up that to me doesn't bode well for us, please please prove me wrong Leicester.

It's shaping up as a real selection test for RK. Just what he's needed really. Something to test his grey cells. He's had five without a win and the question for him now is does he keep faith with a more attacking policy or revert to the Luton way with his massed ranks of defenders and harriers?.

Five what? :unsure:

Archived