Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Mort

West Brom Match Thread

I dont think we played the correct gameplay in the first hlaf, kept the front two out of it and numbed the crowd. Just the second half, whilst the crowd was down, we should have pownced and took the three points.

You'd think that would be the correct way to play, but City away from home are way too negative, and they are all too happy to play for a point. Personally I don't think that's good football, or good tactics, but I don't pick the team and I'm not manager soo...

Some good points tonight from yourself I have to say, apart from absolving Porter from any blame.

However some seem to treat this loss the same as they would a loss to Colchester at home, it's all well and good saying " It doesn't matter who we play we iz better that the lot of em innit " but at the end of the day it's not really true is it.

Kenton? as you say under a lot of pressure. A mistake, but lets face it if Darren Carter's strikes had a little less venom, and Henderson hadn't of done his job ( for once ) we would of lost heavily any way. Over all a poor display, we deserved to lose as a team.

The one massive case of round pegs and square holes did arise

Stearmen right wing? why why why why....can't get over it. It will be interesting to find out if Low has a knock. I will be bitterly disappointed if Kelly thinks that a young centre half from Leicester is any better at playing right wing than a ex Irish international right back in the prime of his carear.... at least Maybury has a decent amount of experience of the game and may have a half a idea of how a winger may work ( obviosuly he doens't as he is very rarely present in the final thrid of the field ) throwing one of our most promising talents into a unfamiliar position is a joke.

Only real judgments I can make as I didn't go today.

Fryatt was apparently very tired when we went off. I have no insight into the midfield battle at all, bar bar must of mentioned Porter, Hughes and Johnson’s names about twice per person.

What we need to realise is that we are plain and simply not as good as West Brom ( at the Hawthorns definitely not ) and what you need to realise is that the inclusion of Gradel and Sheehan would of made no difference what so ever.

On the Porter issue I would never have taken him off. He's not yet been on the losing side for City and they were'n't losing when he was replaced. It was ironic the cross for the own goal came from the side of the pitch he would, and had, been helping Nils to defend. I'm a superstitious sort like that.

On another issue I was well pissed off when Hughes appeared to call rank on Porter for a corner. Porter was preparing to take it when Hughes intervened and took it himself.

Pity the lad didn't tell him to piss off - although that might have left him banished like Sheehan if what Bruin says is true. Hughes couldn't do his own job properly from what I saw let alone someone else's.

On the Porter issue I would never have taken him off. He's not yet been on the losing side for City and they were'n't losing when he was replaced. It was ironic the cross for the own goal came from the side of the pitch he would, and had, been helping Nils to defend. I'm a superstitious sort like that.

I may have conisdered taken him off but who came on for him Weso? Considering Stearmen is on the other wing now I take it we will settle for a point eh Rob? Micky Adams esque suicide.

Well, Hughes was a living joke on Saturday and I hope he's well and truly dropped.

My left ankle is fitter than him.

Battled enough to deserve a draw, against a referee who wouldn't give us anything.

Ah well, nothing like City imploding within a minute.

Hughes should have gone off for Weso for sure - Porter could still run, Hughes was sucking air in through his arse.

Well, Hughes was a living joke on Saturday and I hope he's well and truly dropped.

My left ankle is fitter than him.

Battled enough to deserve a draw, against a referee who wouldn't give us anything.

Ah well, nothing like City imploding within a minute.

Hughes should have gone off for Weso for sure - Porter could still run, Hughes was sucking air in through his arse.

Totally right, I remember the same substitution at Cov. Hughes is awful and painfully slow. If you look at Kentons og on tele, the cross should have been easily prevented from coming in but Hughes just couldn't get there.

Anyone hear Robson's post match comments. If not, he basically harps on about patience being the key and how he thought their passing wore us down. Also he said Phillips' movement was fantastic :o

In my opinion and many of yours, too I would have thought, if Kenton had headered the ball out for a corner, City would have easily held on. I think West Brom will have to vastly improve before they can consider life back in the prem.

But they are definitely more closer to being the finished article than what we are, so if they still need to improve, what do we need to do?! :o

That is to be expected, they do have many players that played in the premiership last season and are a profitable club still unlike ourselves. Both teams were uninspiring on Saturday and I just believe neither will do anything special this season.

I agree with you once again! Aren't we getting on well :D:blush:

lol yes very well for once, it's normally minor disagreements between you and I, but not this time. It's time we turned our ground into Fort Walkers instead of somewhere opposition think they have a decent chance of taking all 3 points.

Anyone hear Robson's post match comments. If not, he basically harps on about patience being the key and how he thought their passing wore us down. Also he said Phillips' movement was fantastic :o

In my opinion and many of yours, too I would have thought, if Kenton had headered the ball out for a corner, City would have easily held on. I think West Brom will have to vastly improve before they can consider life back in the prem.

I think it was, I noticed him looking for gaps behind our defence all the time but they only seemed interesting in hitting hartson, which was good for us.

Although I have to say Kisnorbo and McCarthy did well to mark him.

Agreed :thumbup: Like City, teams will be intimidated when travelling to the Hawthorns and make mistakes like us.

Why should we be intimidated, it's not exactly Turkey in these grounds, these players are professional footballers going to the Hawthorns shouldn't intimidate them. You need to have the right mental attitude.

Why should we be intimidated, it's not exactly Turkey in these grounds, these players are professional footballers going to the Hawthorns shouldn't intimidate them. You need to have the right mental attitude.

I don't know but I thought we were slightly intimidated on saturday. At times we backed off way too much nd gave them too much respect. I agree that there is no reason for it.

I don't know but I thought we were slightly intimidated on saturday. At times we backed off way too much nd gave them too much respect. I agree that there is no reason for it.

It depends who the manager is, if the manager doesn't send the team out with belief then they will probably be intimidated, a good manager would send the team out to get at the oposition.

Robson completes talk shite. He mentioned that we rarely played in their half, when the first half was an equal contest.

The second half saw us fade away, but I felt we looked comfortable. The only occasions they threatened us in the game resulted from situations where they didn't open us up.

- Carter's free kick, which hit the bar. (Wasn't a free kick in the first place)

- A Hartson header from a corner. (Wasn't a corner either)

- A long range shot, that was deflected and hit the bar.

- A Phillips effort that was blocked after a 1 on 1 with Henderson - blame attached to Hughes who stupidly gave the ball away in midfield.

West Brom clearly have the best squad in the division. Their bench was simply frightening. However, Robson is a shite manager and it would not surprise me if they miss out on promotion.

Robson completes talk shite. He mentioned that we rarely played in their half, when the first half was an equal contest.

The second half saw us fade away, but I felt we looked comfortable. The only occasions they threatened us in the game resulted from situations where they didn't open us up.

- Carter's free kick, which hit the bar. (Wasn't a free kick in the first place)

- A Hartson header from a corner. (Wasn't a corner either)

- A long range shot, that was deflected and hit the bar.

- A Phillips effort that was blocked after a 1 on 1 with Henderson - blame attached to Hughes who stupidly gave the ball away in midfield.

West Brom clearly have the best squad in the division. Their bench was simply frightening. However, Robson is a shite manager and it would not surprise me if they miss out on promotion.

Thats debateable. Birmingham has some very good players at this level and Sunderland's new look squad has some pretty experienced and exiting players in it.

Thats debateable. Birmingham has some very good players at this level and Sunderland's new look squad has some pretty experienced and exiting players in it.

I'd tip Birmingham for automatic promotion, and Sunderland n West Brom for ther playoffs

Archived