Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Fez of Mahrez

Team for Sunderland

Bit early and it's just re-treading the same old ground but I'm bored.

I think we need to be more adventurous, not out-and-out gung-ho but we need a creative central midfielder. I'm going to presume Williams isn't match fit but I am darn sure Weso is.

--------------------Henderson------------------

Stearman---McCarthy---Kisnorbo-----Kenton

Gradel-----Wesolowski---Johnson------Porter

--------------O'Grady------Fryatt---------------

I really struggled with this. There are so many players who, in an ideal world, wouldn't be playing at the moment (Stearman and Johnson in this lineup, NEJ and Hughes who aren't). It's really difficult to make a team that everyone can't find at least one fault with. I'm not O'Grady's biggest fan but we need his presence on Saturday. We cannot afford to have Hume go missing as he has done in so many games so far this season. I don't think Saturday is the right time to try him in midfield. We will be under the cosh in a big way through the middle and I think that merits the defensive Weso/Johnson midfield. I can see why some people would include Williams if fit and perhaps persevere with Low on the right. I don't think Low offers enough. If we are going to have someone like him in the side who shirks work and is naive defensively, then it might as well be someone to excite the fans. Yes, I have jumped on the Gradel express. Why not? Porter has made such a difference with his willingness to attack. Let's have that on both sides. I'm not going to Sunderland but the fans that are making that trip deserve a reason, not another bland attempt to secure a 0-0. If we lose, then we lose with all guns blazing. Stearman and Kenton because I don't want to see NEJ in the team and I'm not sure what the hell's going on with Maybury. The two Paddys are the first names on the teamsheet. Done a decent job defensively and look our best threat goalscoring-wise as well at set pieces. Weso needs to start. It's time Kelly looked at the midfield and saw that it's not working.

Sadly the options are few and far between. My only crumb of hope would be to play Weso. I remember that he came on as sub against QPR in January when we were 1-0 down. We went on to win that game and the next two, and then the poor bloke broke his leg again.

But he seems to be the best anchor midfielder we have, and I think Williams is the most creative. Frankly I'm not sure if tinkering with the rest of the team will make much difference. Hume and Fryatt scored last season, so they can this time round.

For me we have to pair Weso and Williams in centre mid. OK the boy is young, but so is Fabregas.

If that doesn't work frankly we're reliant on luck.

I think we need to be more adventurous, not out-and-out gung-ho but we need a creative central midfielder. I'm going to presume Williams isn't match fit but I am darn sure Weso is.

I really struggled with this. There are so many players who, in an ideal world, wouldn't be playing at the moment (Stearman and Johnson in this lineup, NEJ and Hughes who aren't). It's really difficult to make a team that everyone can't find at least one fault with. I'm not O'Grady's biggest fan but we need his presence on Saturday. We cannot afford to have Hume go missing as he has done in so many games so far this season. I don't think Saturday is the right time to try him in midfield. We will be under the cosh in a big way through the middle and I think that merits the defensive Weso/Johnson midfield. I can see why some people would include Williams if fit and perhaps persevere with Low on the right. I don't think Low offers enough. If we are going to have someone like him in the side who shirks work and is naive defensively, then it might as well be someone to excite the fans. Yes, I have jumped on the Gradel express. Why not? Porter has made such a difference with his willingness to attack. Let's have that on both sides. I'm not going to Sunderland but the fans that are making that trip deserve a reason, not another bland attempt to secure a 0-0. If we lose, then we lose with all guns blazing. Stearman and Kenton because I don't want to see NEJ in the team and I'm not sure what the hell's going on with Maybury. The two Paddys are the first names on the teamsheet. Done a decent job defensively and look our best threat goalscoring-wise as well at set pieces. Weso needs to start. It's time Kelly looked at the midfield and saw that it's not working.

Swap johnson with hume :P Hume can't be any worse than johnson in there?

*nods*.. I'd go along with that unless Williams makes a recovery in time. Time to attack on Saturday and ruin Sunderlands party, with it being Keane's first home game in charge everyone will be on a high.

Id go with that but have Hughes instead of Johnson.

I'd stick Low in there

Douglas

Kenton

Kisnorbo

McCarthy

Sheehan (Recall)

Sylla

Williams

Weso

Porter

De Vries (Recall)

Hammond

THIS IS NOT A JOKE!

I should hope so too, de vries (as wank as he was) scored 9 goals in half a season, not bad going.

Can't disagree with much you say there. Normally I would say it's the wrong time to bring a player like Gradel into the first team but he'll be fearless and go there with very little pressure on his shoulders. Might be just what we need as Porter was our best player last night in the first half and Gradel could quite easily have as much of an impact as Porter has of late. I know it would be a bit of a risk but I'd like to see Porter moved to the middle, Low stay on the right and Gradel on the left. Porter would offer much needed support for the front two down the midlle and Gradel would continue the good work of Porter out wide hopefully.

According to this it seems unlikely that we will see youngsters since we need 'experience' and not to make too many changes. I think what we need is hunger and desire which perhaps the more 'experienced' players don't really give us!

http://www.clubcall.com/index.jsp?storyID=290710

Nah why make changes to a team that's lost their last 2 games....

I think we need to be more adventurous

Why? The two teams that've come to the Way and won have played 10 or 11 behind the ball. I kinda wonder where the belief comes from that attacking football away from home gets results unless you're on a real roll.

Grind it out, I say. The back four haven't been bad (except when that fecker Stearman's been playing).

get rid of any player who started agianst Hull, i'd rather lose and make a point than just lose.

So my side is

Logan

Mayberry Stearman, McAculey, Sheehan (recall)

Gradel, Williams, Wesolowski, Tiatto

Dodds O'Grady

Subs - Syalla, Douglas, Hammond, DeVries and Smedley

get rid of any player who started agianst Hull, i'd rather lose and make a point than just lose.

So my side is

Logan

Mayberry Stearman, McAculey, Sheehan (recall)

Gradel, Williams, Wesolowski, Tiatto

Dodds O'Grady

Subs - Syalla, Douglas, Hammond, DeVries and Smedley

C'mon. Stearman? - who was worse than any player who started against Hull. Perhaps worse than any player who has played in the last couple of years.

Henderson

Stearman

McCarthy

Kisnorbo

Kenton

Low

Hume

Wesolowski

Hughes

Hammond

Fryatt

Porter can not compete at this level. League 1 fantastic, Championship average

Have we been watching the same player? :blink:

My team would be as follows:

Hendo

Stearman Kisnorbo McCarthy Kenton

Gradel Weso Porter

Hume

O'Grady Fryatt

Really can't be putting up with Nils' HOOF or passback negativity, or in fact general crapness. I really think if we show faith in Stearman that he'll repay us. Otherwise Maybury must come back or we recall Sheehan. Hughes and Johno have to go, they need a spell on the sidelines. I really want to see Hume play behind two strikers, just for one game, to see how it goes. It might work. If not Williams plays alongside Weso in the middle with Fryatt and Huuuuuume up front. :thumbup:

Why? The two teams that've come to the Way and won have played 10 or 11 behind the ball. I kinda wonder where the belief comes from that attacking football away from home gets results unless you're on a real roll.

Grind it out, I say. The back four haven't been bad (except when that fecker Stearman's been playing).

We are rubbish at playing defensively though. We offer nothing creatively whatsoever. Porter has been a bright spot and if we have someone on the other flank who is in a similar mould then surely it's worth a go? I know playing Gradel doesn't automatically mean we are going to win 7-6, the Weso/Johnson partnership should provide some steel with Johnson being Lennon (ho ho) and Weso being Savage. The two Paddys and Henderson stay but NEJ out and just give Stearman a run of games starting in his favoured position. We know he can do it.

Either way, whoever plays in central midfield especially is going to have to have a stormer imo.

We are rubbish at playing defensively though. We offer nothing creatively whatsoever. Porter has been a bright spot and if we have someone on the other flank who is in a similar mould then surely it's worth a go? I know playing Gradel doesn't automatically mean we are going to win 7-6, the Weso/Johnson partnership should provide some steel with Johnson being Lennon (ho ho) and Weso being Savage. The two Paddys and Henderson stay but NEJ out and just give Stearman a run of games starting in his favoured position. We know he can do it.

Either way, whoever plays in central midfield especially is going to have to have a stormer imo.

"Johnson being Lennon...". What, John Lennon?

Archived