Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Cat Burger

Have Leicester ever had an Asian player?

Given the cultural make up of Leicester, I find this staggering..

Why?

It's a cultural thing.

I can't speak for the Muslim community and I don't mean to be stereotyping here, but most of my Hindu friends would be mortified if one of their children wanted to play professional football.

When I was at school the Hindu kids were the most gifted academically, not sure if it's still the same these days. Playing football for them just wasn't an option!

Can you imagine the parents reaction if one of them went home and said sod this calculus lark I wanna play footie.

Parental support to play soccer at the highest level is vital from the day you kick your first ball till the day you sign your first contract.

Without it you've got virtually no chance.

Cricket is a different kettle of fish because most top Cricketers have been educated at the top level anyway.

:P

lol talk about playing it safe :P

How many asians get into football and are good enough to get into teams? Ive heard of vigaj sidu (sp?) at coventry I think...

Most asians prefer to cricket as that's what people in their families played in the past, but now our country is becoming more multi cultural I should imagine we will see more asians coming into the game within the next 10-20 years?

Unless we're including japan/ chine/ australia etc :P Then we've had a few asians :thumbup:

Well Japan and China are in Asia so you would usually count them

there is a belief amongst some in the game that british asians are not strong enough physically to progress in British football. Think of that what you will, but it certainly helped the black players that they were mostly strong aswell as talented.

I think it's a cultural thing more than anything else. Many young Asian players don't seek a career in football and so are not picked up by the academies.

Michael Chopra of Cardiff (ex-Newcastle) and Zesh Rehman of QPR are the only ones I can think of currently playing in our league. They are the exceptions that prove the rule.

there is a belief amongst some in the game that british asians are not strong enough physically to progress in British football. Think of that what you will, but it certainly helped the black players that they were mostly strong aswell as talented.

Some may call this statement a pile of racist bollox, I would never be that kind.

I think it's a cultural thing more than anything else. Many young Asian players don't seek a career in football and so are not picked up by the academies.

Michael Chopra of Cardiff (ex-Newcastle) and Zesh Rehman of QPR are the only ones I can think of currently playing in our league. They are the exceptions that prove the rule.

Chopra is about as asian as Ray Winston.

His father was second generation Indian.

chopra

harpal singh

and a few more to name a few but all played or play for other teams there are asians coming into english football. Being asian myself i have a few points.

asian's will not be mainstream in football for another 10-15 years.

reasons...genetics.

10-15 years from now this might sound silly but as our people develop and our bodies change from generation to generation the younger generations will become stronger and more developed allowing them to become better players.

chopra is half asian his mother is white from what i know and harpal singh started off at leeds but now i think he's playing for stockport...anyways all i'm saying is that i do believe there will be asian players playing for leicester but not for another 10-15 years and by then hopefully there will be a good number of them playing in the english football leagues

I think this is a great thread with some superb views, no tabloid headline ranting lefties preventing mature, open and slightly edgy debate, keep it up! Particularly liked suffolk_fox's last comment although vaguely relieved no-one took him up on an answer. Anyway, what about Julian 'the crown jewels' Joachim, wasn't he of asian descent? - (probaby still is if so)!

Because I've been playing Sunday League football for 9 years and have stumbled across about 6 or 7 Asian players. The fact that they aren't in an academy side simply says they aren't good enough to be there, not that scouts and selectors are racist. Now in Sunday League there is a team called FC Khalsa, and they are only allowed to sign on 2 non-Asian players (I personally consider this to be racist but whatever), however this is a team that has came about in the last 2 years and so they are less likely to have had players scouted :):thumbup:

Isn't this a funding thing?? The council/ FA, will pay the pitches / fees to get more Asian's into the game, but they have to have a certain amount of Asian's in to qualify for this grant. I can see where they are coming from, but it is not doing anything for racial intergration. It causes a them and us situation.

lol talk about playing it safe :P

How many asians get into football and are good enough to get into teams? Ive heard of vigaj sidu (sp?) at coventry I think...

Most asians prefer to cricket as that's what people in their families played in the past, but now our country is becoming more multi cultural I should imagine we will see more asians coming into the game within the next 10-20 years?

Unless we're including japan/ chine/ australia etc :P Then we've had a few asians :thumbup:

Now who's stereotyping?????? :whistle:

Why don't you try asking Asians before making assumptions!!!

Personally and trying to summise, it's a whole host of things, firstly yes, culturally being a sportsperson is not as highly regarded as being a doctor ie having a degree!!

Secondly the perception of the 70' and 80's of football (racist attitudes) still lingers within the asain community hence alot of asains don't try to go beyond playing for schools or local asain teams ie GNG, Khalsa FC etc. This is slowly withering away and more and more asains are going to footy matches etc and hence slowly more and more asains are playing 'mianstream' footy!!

Thirdly, is commitment, alot of asains in my experience give up at the first hurdle and blame external factors and some even use racism as an excuse, but in todays, world if your good enough, your good enough, no ones cares what colour or creed you are!!!

I look forward to seeing a Singh playing for city, and I will be bhangra dancing to the tune of his name!!! :D

Because I've been playing Sunday League football for 9 years and have stumbled across about 6 or 7 Asian players. The fact that they aren't in an academy side simply says they aren't good enough to be there, not that scouts and selectors are racist. Now in Sunday League there is a team called FC Khalsa, and they are only allowed to sign on 2 non-Asian players (I personally consider this to be racist but whatever), however this is a team that has came about in the last 2 years and so they are less likely to have had players scouted :):thumbup:

Isn't this a funding thing?? The council/ FA, will pay the pitches / fees to get more Asian's into the game, but they have to have a certain amount of Asian's in to qualify for this grant. I can see where they are coming from, but it is not doing anything for racial intergration. It causes a them and us situation.

I'm not sure that's true, I know people who play for Khalsa and ask them. But if that's the case then that is racism and it goes against beliefs of the Khalsa!! My brother plays for another 'Sikh' Temple team GNG, and they have no such rules!!!

The issue about funding is nonsense Don, I know the guy who made the statement to the FA, he is a board member of GNG, and it's a load of tripe. GNG were a very up and comming team and one which alot of people thought could play a higher level of footy (semi pro), but it was the poor management and favouritism of the certain players lead to players leaving. The board then go about saying the players left because we have no funding to aim to play for a higher level!!!

chopra

harpal singh

and a few more to name a few but all played or play for other teams there are asians coming into english football. Being asian myself i have a few points.

asian's will not be mainstream in football for another 10-15 years.

reasons...genetics.10-15 years from now this might sound silly but as our people develop and our bodies change from generation to generation the younger generations will become stronger and more developed allowing them to become better players.

chopra is half asian his mother is white from what i know and harpal singh started off at leeds but now i think he's playing for stockport...anyways all i'm saying is that i do believe there will be asian players playing for leicester but not for another 10-15 years and by then hopefully there will be a good number of them playing in the english football leagues

WHat a load of nonsense!!! So in 15 years Asains are going to grow????

You should go to one fo the SIkh footy tournaments or Kabbadi tournaments mate, try the Leicester one, and see how many 6 foot plus Sikhs are there. Sikhs have world champion wrestlers, commonwealth heavy weight boxing champs and power lifters!!!! Sorry but nothing wrong with our genetics!!!

I'm not sure that's true, I know people who play for Khalsa and ask them. But if that's the case then that is racism and it goes against beliefs of the Khalsa!! My brother plays for another 'Sikh' Temple team GNG, and they have no such rules!!!

The issue about funding is nonsense Don, I know the guy who made the statement to the FA, he is a board member of GNG, and it's a load of tripe. GNG were a very up and comming team and one which alot of people thought could play a higher level of footy (semi pro), but it was the poor management and favouritism of the certain players lead to players leaving. The board then go about saying the players left because we have no funding to aim to play for a higher level!!!

On the old funding note, I know that the Leicester Sikh Centre, that play at the YMCA, belvoir drive, do not pay for their pitch, and now, there is no Asians playing for that team anymore, its a virtual 2nd team of another clubs, but as they don't change their name, they still get the pitch for free.

Madness.

On the old funding note, I know that the Leicester Sikh Centre, that play at the YMCA, belvoir drive, do not pay for their pitch, and now, there is no Asians playing for that team anymore, its a virtual 2nd team of another clubs, but as they don't change their name, they still get the pitch for free.

Madness.

What LSC are doing is wrong, they are taking advantage of the YMCA's generousity!!

As for the Leicester Sikh Centre, aslong as there good and keep getting promoted, hopefully one day make into the league then i'll be happy and will be cheering them on!! :P

There's alot of money in footy Don, especially for Asian teams ie lottery, FA, Mcdonalds!! And alot of these clubs ie GNG are getting a large chunk and misusing it, instead of training or using it for grass roots it goes into the pockets of the board!!!

Corruption is rife in football even at the lower level!!!

I can slowly see things changing in Luton in terms of Second generation pakistani's playing football as oppossed to Cricket. It has moved on from there being seperate Asian teams to by and large mixed teams based on location rather than race.

Once british Asians feel comfortable in the "mainstream" football environment and participate reguarly in the sam ejuinor league as black and white youngsters it is inevitble that some will come through the system. The genetics arguemnt is non-starter, there are plenty of big, strong and fast British Asians.

Oye i see it with my own eyes i'm punjabi from vancouver canada...kabbadi tournaments i go to there are plenty here probobly more than in england... i played soccer for many years youth systems here, racism exists here against asians still but it's not as bad as it used to be i know of many young sikh players here in vancouver coming up through the ranks in fact on the canadian under 16,17.18's there are many asian players. in fact a family member of mine who is 16 who is also asian has gone to italy for tryouts and is in holland at the moment trying out, but there isn't that many making there way into sports because of our genetics i would say and i'm going to stick to that untill our bodies develop from generation to generation. We are not up to par when it comes to blacks and whites for athletics yes you have proven we are getting there but we are not fully there yet, but that doesn't mean i dont believe it will happen because it will not now but we are getting there

WHat a load of nonsense!!! So in 15 years Asains are going to grow????

You should go to one fo the SIkh footy tournaments or Kabbadi tournaments mate, try the Leicester one, and see how many 6 foot plus Sikhs are there. Sikhs have world champion wrestlers, commonwealth heavy weight boxing champs and power lifters!!!! Sorry but nothing wrong with our genetics!!!

My grandfather is on the board of the lsc and the soccer team from what he has told me has been making good progress in the last few years and they not only depend on external charity's much of there donations come from money raised by the LSC comes from sikhs in the community

What LSC are doing is wrong, they are taking advantage of the YMCA's generousity!!

As for the Leicester Sikh Centre, aslong as there good and keep getting promoted, hopefully one day make into the league then i'll be happy and will be cheering them on!! :P

There's alot of money in footy Don, especially for Asian teams ie lottery, FA, Mcdonalds!! And alot of these clubs ie GNG are getting a large chunk and misusing it, instead of training or using it for grass roots it goes into the pockets of the board!!!

Corruption is rife in football even at the lower level!!!

Archived