Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
loza15

Porter

Just had a look on the squad pages and Levi is out of contract in the summer. Isnt it about time we gave him a longer contract along with some of the other younger players.

Locking any player into a long contract when they remain unproven doesn't strike me as the most prudent move at this stage of our fiscal restructuring. Two years tops would be my way to go.

I wonder if Gradel will want to sign a longer contract too when the time comes.

While he does everything you could possibly hope for as a right winger, scoring goals, making goals, helping to take his team top of the table, he sees his main rival go through half a dozen games without scoring yet doesn't get so much as a place on the bench.

And then, when that winger's dropped, he sees an underperforming midfielder (who's scored around a fifth of the goals he's scored over 16 months) moved out of position to take his potential place on the right side.

Put yourself in his position. What would you do - especially when you see a recent team-mate doing so well on the other flank.

Would you want to commit long term if that's the sort of thinking goes on?

I wonder if Gradel will want to sign a longer contract too when the time comes.

While he does everything you could possibly hope for as a right winger, scoring goals, making goals, helping to take his team top of the table, he sees his main rival go through half a dozen games without scoring yet doesn't get so much as a place on the bench.

And then, when that winger's dropped, he sees an underperforming midfielder (who's scored around a fifth of the goals he's scored over 16 months) moved out of position to take his potential place on the right side.

Put yourself in his position. What would you do - especially when you see a recent team-mate doing so well on the other flank.

Would you want to commit long term if that's the sort of thinking goes on?

He'll think... wow look at the Wesolowski, O'Grady, Porter and Stearman (when on form) all progressed through the ranks. If I keep up my good form I should get my chance like they have, if I don't act like a cock like Sheehan I should be ok.

Stop being so bloody negative and putty bad spin on things.

He'll think... wow look at the Wesolowski, O'Grady, Porter and Stearman (when on form) all progressed through the ranks. If I keep up my good form I should get my chance like they have, if I don't act like a cock like Sheehan I should be ok.

Keep up good form - he's kept it up for months now!

It may make uncomfortable reading but I don't think it is negative to want people to be given a chance if they justify it.

Or to want Leicester to play with a bit of flair, belief and imagination.

I often wonder if there's a slim chance, sometime in the future, that a topic wouldn't degenerate into The World vs. Thracian. :blink: :pinch: :thumbup:

As for Porter, he'll get a new contract without a doubt. 2 years is likely, 3 is possible. He's clearly forming part of the first team, and he kept Tiatto out today which can only be a good sign as far as his future is concerned. ;)

Quite. Looking around, he'd see how his academy team-mates have supplanted several of these supposed Chosen Men who Thrac has claimed were keeping them out of the side. Even looking at the bench he'd see how Logan has taken over 2nd goalkeeping slot over a fit Douglas.

I often wonder if there's a slim chance, sometime in the future, that a topic wouldn't degenerate into The World vs. Thracian. :blink: :pinch: :thumbup:

As for Porter, he'll get a new contract without a doubt. 2 years is likely, 3 is possible. He's clearly forming part of the first team, and he kept Tiatto out today which can only be a good sign as far as his future is concerned. ;)

It's great to see. In fact it was pleasing to hear the radio comments about Weso and the Sunderland fans comments about O'Grady and Porter.

So many fans on here have shown support for all three - despite others forever cautioning against change because of their inexperience even when there were no risks involved at the end of last season.

Indeed if some had been given their way, they'd have never got a chance in the first team - either cos they were no good before they went to Rushden, too small, lacking matches "at this level"and so on.

Now the sooner Gradel's involved with them the better cos he's just as good whatever the doubting Thomases have to say.

Quite. Looking around, he'd see how his academy team-mates have supplanted several of these supposed Chosen Men who Thrac has claimed were keeping them out of the side. Even looking at the bench he'd see how Logan has taken over 2nd goalkeeping slot over a fit Douglas.

There are still Chosen Men around and I have nothing against them people if they play well and can show themselves capable of fitting into the style of the emerging team, like Johnson did today by all accounts.

I just want to see the best team picked according to form and performance.

Stearman is an example really. He's been dropped, and rightly, not for one bad game I would emphasise, but for a general drop in form. But others are not.

How can that be right if there are arguably better alternatives?.

It's great to see. In fact it was pleasing to hear the radio comments about Weso and the Sunderland fans comments about O'Grady and Porter.

So many fans on here have shown support for all three - despite others forever cautioning against change because of their inexperience even when there were no risks involved at the end of last season.

Indeed if some had been given their way, they'd have never got a chance in the first team - either cos they were no good before they went to Rushden, too small, lacking matches "at this level"and so on.

Now the sooner Gradel's involved with them the better cos he's just as good whatever the doubting Thomases have to say.

ffs he will get a chance when he is ready, if I have one faith in our managment team it is that they know when to start playing the youngsters....I dunno why you have to make out that the youngsters hard done to becuase they aren't, Rob Kelly may make the odd dodgy tatical descion but he was a acadmey coach for years and has shown to me that he knows when to bring players through. Now shut up about Max fing Gradel, most of your faviourate kiddes are in the team and we are still in the bottom half of the championship and bugger all has changed.

Sheehan played well today didn't he? :thumbup:

How was your holiday? :D

ffs he will get a chance when he is ready, if I have one faith in our managment team it is that they know when to start playing the youngsters....I dunno why you have to make out that the youngsters hard done to becuase they aren't, Rob Kelly may make the odd dodgy tatical descion but he was a acadmey coach for years and has shown to me that he knows when to bring players through. Now shut up about Max fing Gradel, most of your faviourate kiddes are in the team and we are still in the bottom half of the championship and bugger all has changed.

Sheehan played well today didn't he? :thumbup:

How was your holiday? :D

Nothing will change til we finish rebuilding the team instead of making do with just the preparatory work - although Weso's return today was a blessing to savour.

Gradel will be an important cog and we're not good enough to leave it too late to realise that.

Sheehan's completed three full or close to full games now and the reports I read suggested he was probably Mansfield's best player once more, though their team performance was lacking and may well have been affected by injuries to key people.

The holiday was great thanks. :thumbup:

Nothing will change til we finish rebuilding the team instead of making do with just the preparatory work - although Weso's return today was a blessing to savour.

Gradel will be an important cog and we're not good enough to leave it too late to realise that.

Sheehan's completed three full or close to full games now and the reports I read suggested he was probably Mansfield's best player once more, though their team performance was lacking and may well have been affected by injuries to key people.

Good to hear positive things about Porter, unfortunately a couple of blokes sitting behind me were moaning about Porter saying he was crap on Tuesday night. Just Proves some people either know nothing about players or just moan because we aren't winning.

Agreed...however this involves a lot more than one 17 year old right winger. Kelly bringing Weso today has improved my opinion of him greatly, and moving Hughes out to the right wing (I'd ask you not to judge him to quickly based on the RL commentary, trust me I have seen Levi have solid games at the Walkers only to get down the pub in the evening and listen to people say they only herd his name 3 times on RL) is something I've said should be done since pre season, he can do a job there more consistently than low, depending on how Hughes actually played today I would quite like to see Hume given a full a go there. He looked capable there on Tuesday and on the very odd occasions I saw him play there for Tranmere on the box,

We are good enough to stay up that’s all that matters, if he is that good he should be saved until he the management is sure he can make a decent impact on the team, we have all seen what can happen to young players who come through to early. I.e Sheehan.

Who BTW did play well today as I said......I don't have the intelligence for sarcasm :thumbup:

Nice to hear that

Good to hear positive things about Porter, unfortunately a couple of blokes sitting behind me were moaning about Porter saying he was crap on Tuesday night. Just Proves some people either know nothing about players or just moan because we aren't winning.

I just wish someone would start converting some of the chances he's created. There were three good ones today and there have been eight or 10 overall, some of them ridiculously simple and had even half been converted we'd probably be sitting on at least four more points.

We need to get more potential scorers into the box.

I'm a big Thracian fan, leave him alone. There's a difference between providing and argument and being argumentative, so let him have his say. He's got to be nearing O.A.P age so he deserves it. nearing O.A.P age so he deserves it.

lol he Might get a decent ticket price at the Walkers soon then.

I'm letting him have his say im just commenting on his views.

lol he Might get a decent ticket price at the Walkers soon then.

I'm letting him have his say im just commenting on his views.

Haha, don't worry I was more seconding lookwhaticando's 'world vs thracian' comment than having a go at anyone in particular :thumbup:

Agreed...however this involves a lot more than one 17 year old right winger. Kelly bringing Weso today has improved my opinion of him greatly, and moving Hughes out to the right wing (I'd ask you not to judge him to quickly based on the RL commentary, trust me I have seen Levi have solid games at the Walkers only to get down the pub in the evening and listen to people say they only herd his name 3 times on RL) is something I've said should be done since pre season, he can do a job there more consistently than low, depending on how Hughes actually played today I would quite like to see Hume given a full a go there. He looked capable there on Tuesday and on the very odd occasions I saw him play there for Tranmere on the box,

We are good enough to stay up that’s all that matters, if he is that good he should be saved until he the management is sure he can make a decent impact on the team, we have all seen what can happen to young players who come through to early. I.e Sheehan.

Who BTW did play well today as I said......I don't have the intelligence for sarcasm :thumbup:

Nice to hear that

My reservations about Hughes are well documented but Kelly seemed to use him in an effective away team strategy today and wisely didn't tinker with an effective team.

But what if we hadn't gone ahead as at West Brom and against Hull?. Surely Gradel's unique and exciting skills need to be available now. With all the faith in the world Hughes is never going to be a striker/creator.

I agree to some extent with what you say about Low - for me he's not a great coverer and, as a winger doesn't get in enough where it counts. But Gradel does and with Porter creating something fairly regularly we need bodies in the box to take advantage.

Goals are vital to our survival and if there's not going to be any from central midfield you cannot expect the strikers to score them all. so someone else has to make a contribution.

Using Gradel could help us no end. Surely it is not beyond Kelly's wisdom to make sensible use of both Gradel and Hughes. Having Hughes as insurance against defeat is all very well but Kelly shouldn't lose sight of the prime aim which is to win.

You never told me you were going away. I feel left out. :(

:P

Haha, don't worry I was more seconding lookwhaticando's 'world vs thracian' comment than having a go at anyone in particular :thumbup:

A-ha! Somebody agrees with me. :P

-----------

As for Gradel, his time will come. If he's so prolific at the levels he's featured at so far, he'll get a shout at some point. Afterall, if Chambers wasn't prolific at academy and reserve levels, I doubt he'd hold the record of being the youngest ever city player to make the first team appearance :thumbup:

Archived