Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Thracian

Hammond is overlooked

In trying to back my case for Elvis Hammond I notice that virtually all of Leicester's best football over the last 12 months hascome when he's been in the team.

And they've tended to score goals.

Sheffield United at home, which ended 4-2 was unquestionably our best performance of that period. But he also played and scored a disgracefully disallowed goal in the 2-2 draw against Crewe when we played them off the park apart from winning, there was the 2-0 hammering of Sheffield Wednesday, the unlikely 2-1 win at Watford, the entertaining 1-1 draw at Derby where again he was harshly denied goals if I recall and this season, of course, the 3-1 win over Ipswich.

He even played in the win over Spurs.

The big thing is we virtually always score goals when he plays and that's what we need right now. I would play him on the right where I'll be sure he'll not displace anyone vital but I'd have no hesitation in allowing him to swop wings with Porter because, while he's no left footer he is especially dangerous coming in onto his right foot and Levi's as capable on the right as anywhere else.

With Hume inside the options would be so fluid as to make it a nightmare for the opposition.

To re-emphasise the suggested team:

Logan;

Stearman, McCarthy, McAuley, Kenton/Tiatto;

Hume, Wesolowski, Porter;

Hammond, O'Grady, Fryatt.

And not for one game. Birmingham won't be easy and the team would need to gel. But that team pretty well accomodates our best available players and has no notable weak links. Furthermore I believe it would be a co-operative team with everyone keen to help everyone else and that's important.

It's got pace, strength, balance and enthusiasm.

I wish RK would pick it. Not bits of it. All of it.And sendem out with one instruction...

Playwith your heart, play with your head and play for each other.

In trying to back my case for Elvis Hammond I notice that virtually all of Leicester's best football over the last 12 months hascome when he's been in the team.

And they've tended to score goals.

Sheffield United at home, which ended 4-2 was unquestionably our best performance of that period. But he also played and scored a disgracefully disallowed goal in the 2-2 draw against Crewe when we played them off the park apart from winning, there was the 2-0 hammering of Sheffield Wednesday, the unlikely 2-1 win at Watford, the entertaining 1-1 draw at Derby where again he was harshly denied goals if I recall and this season, of course, the 3-1 win over Ipswich.

He even played in the win over Spurs.

The big thing is we virtually always score goals when he plays and that's what we need right now. I would play him on the right where I'll be sure he'll not displace anyone vital but I'd have no hesitation in allowing him to swop wings with Porter because, while he's no left footer he is especially dangerous coming in onto his right foot and Levi's as capable on the right as anywhere else.

With Hume inside the options would be so fluid as to make it a nightmare for the opposition.

To re-emphasise the suggested team:

Logan;

Stearman, McCarthy, McAuley, Kenton/Tiatto;

Hume, Wesolowski, Porter;

Hammond, O'Grady, Fryatt.

And not for one game. Birmingham won't be easy and the team would need to gel. But that team pretty well accomodates our best available players and has no notable weak links. Furthermore I believe it would be a co-operative team with everyone keen to help everyone else and that's important.

It's got pace, strength, balance and enthusiasm.

I wish RK would pick it. Not bits of it. All of it.And sendem out with one instruction...

Hammon has never been convincing in my eye's but in a forward 3 he might provide abit of pace to give space for the other strikers. But the biggest fault of Hammond is that he is a poor footballer, his technique and ability have alot to be desired!!!

That's three instructions.

And of course everyone wishes that RK would pick the team they want to see. It's a fantasy world. In a fantasy world, our good players would play well and make the notion of picking a footballing cretin like Elvis Hammond seem like the most ridiculous idea on earth.

Seems to me you are just going through all of the options that RK hasn't tried and hailing them as miraculous because you know they won't happen.

In an ideal world, I'd like to see 3-5-2 but I know it's not going to happen and I'm not going to barrack RK for not trying it because it shouldn't take 3-5-2 with some of the players we have, it just takes a simple approach, playing your best players (your actual best players, not youth teamers or donkeys like Hammond) and motivating them to play at their best.

And of course everyone wishes that RK would pick the team they want to see. It's a fantasy world. In a fantasy world, our good players would play well and make the notion of picking a footballing cretin like Elvis Hammond seem like the most ridiculous idea on earth.

Seems to me you are just going through all of the options that RK hasn't tried and hailing them as miraculous because you know they won't happen.

In an ideal world, I'd like to see 3-5-2 but I know it's not going to happen and I'm not going to barrack RK for not trying it because it shouldn't take 3-5-2 with some of the players we have, it just takes a simple approach, playing your best players (your actual best players, not youth teamers or donkeys like Hammond) and motivating them to play at their best.

My attacking approach never changes. The personnel does and will always change according to injuries, suspensions, who's available, where the problems are.

You make lots of good points at times even the ones I disagree with, but you can be so blinkered. If you favour 3-5-2 and have a different set of "best players" by all means enlighten me.

There are indeed any number of plausible options depending on your perception of the basic approach...attacking/defensive/neutrally opportunist.

But to achieve my ends I want as many players as possible to be able to pass and support, as much speed as I can muster, as much energy to recover when we've lost the ball, as many people who can put the ball in the net as possible, as many as possible who can supply the telling pass and, most of all, the right spirit.

That's the basis of my thinking. It has nothing to do with what Kelly may feel.

I agree with the fact that despite Elvis being crap usually, he should be in the team but on the right wing. It would hopefully give a fresh approach and add some goals. I would stick with 4-4-2 with this team:

Logan

Stearman, McCarthy, McAuley, Possibly Sheehan/Tiatto

Hammond, Hughes, Williams (when he's fit), Porter

O'Grady (for the big man approach), Hume/ Fryatt

I agree with the fact that despite Elvis being crap usually, he should be in the team but on the right wing. It would hopefully give a fresh approach and add some goals. I would stick with 4-4-2 with this team:

Logan

Stearman, McCarthy, McAuley, Possibly Sheehan/Tiatto

Hammond, Hughes, Williams (when he's fit), Porter

O'Grady (for the big man approach), Hume/ Fryatt

I hadn't thought of that one -12 players! But if you're sure we can get away with it .....I still wouldn't want Hughes. :D

One instruction .... in three parts. :D

I tell you what, why don't you play ten up front, but allow no one in the team above the age of 12, you would have youth and enthusiasm. You might account a few problems though, they would have to be back by 5 for tea.

Do you have a job? Can you not do anything else except think up craps anecdotes to our poor situation.

I gather you disagree! :)

Hammon has never been convincing in my eye's but in a forward 3 he might provide abit of pace to give space for the other strikers. But the biggest fault of Hammond is that he is a poor footballer, his technique and ability have alot to be desired!!!

Hughes and Johnson are poor footballers and their technique is fine. Hammond, like Large is probably a good footballer with lousy technique in certain areas. Steve Heighway was like that too. He didn't do too bad yet the ball was forever cannoning off his shins or getting stuck under his feet.

Don't tell me Hammond is worth 20 million. Pace, finishing, big knob, etc...

If he were worth £2m he probably be the most expensive player in our squad right now!

Pace and strength I mentioned - the big knob I'll concede to your greater knowledge. :whistle:

I still quite like Elvis, no matter how frustrating it is to watch him try and perform in front of goal, he puts in more effort than almost anyone else, he's fast and he's always making a nuisance of himself and trying to break through on goal. If he was a bit more careful about getting offside and could actually strike a ball, then he'd be a pretty decent player!

As it is he couldn't finish his dinner and consequently his scoring record is absolutely terrible :(

Interesting how we've gotten a few decent results with him in the side though.

Elvis isn't very good but he's probably a better option to Josh Bloody Low

Hasnt low be the provider of most our width weve had when hes played, hasnt low been the provider of decent crosses that fryatt and o'grady should be scoring, isnt low the pacey one on the right that actualy runs at the defence. sorry but i think dising low would be wrong! if you had actually seen/heard him without biasty because of what uv heard about him before he came.

Interesting how we've gotten a few decent results with him in the side though.

i think its quite simple, he troubles the defence. something we arent doing at the moment, colchester had a very easy job keeping us out on saturday and a bit of pace and enthusiasm may have scraped us through it

Hasnt low be the provider of most our width weve had when hes played, hasnt low been the provider of decent crosses that fryatt and o'grady should be scoring, isnt low the pacey one on the right that actualy runs at the defence. sorry but i think dising low would be wrong! if you had actually seen/heard him without biasty because of what uv heard about him before he came.

I can't remember one occasion where he has run at the defence and tried to take them on, let alone succeeded.

Archived