Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
MBK

QPR- Leicester City Ratings

logan 7 ( a couple of good stops but a howler for cross that got mcauley sent off )

kenton 7

kisnorbo 9 (colossus) (won me £231 :bounce: )

mcauley 7

nils 7

stearman 6

weso 6

tiatto 6

welsh 5

hume 7

hammond 5

fryatt 5 ( what a glorious chance)

mccarthy 6 (i thought his mask was for halloween :ph34r: )

maybury 5

good day out , good atmosphere but they were absolute sh;te and again we have failed to come away with the points

I thought Kisnorbo and McAuley were the only outfield players in Leicester shirts who looked 100% fit yesterday. I suppose Elvis as well but he looked fairly dire (lack of support... he wasn't even looking for it).

The criticism on various threads is ill-deserved. The majority of our players were either knackered from Tuesday or not match-fit. And there was no-one else. God knows what's going on with Porter but I think at times in the second half Stearman won so many balls in the air playing in the middle of the park that it made you think twice about playing two from Tiatto, Weso and Porter together. Certainly Tiatto and Weso were both anonymous but I don't think they were anywhere near match-fit. Weso in particular looked completely knackered. We need players back so that he doesn't have to play when he's not 100% because he will keep getting these niggly injuries and it will really harm his development.

I find it hard to believe some of the criticism of our midfield selection yesterday. At one stage I pointed out that only one of them was playing in their favoured position (Welsh, with a left winger and a right back in central midfield and a right-back on the right wing) but I don't blame Kelly for that. You could tell from the lack of central midfield options on our bench that Kelly would be struggling to name a decent midfield. As it was, we got Welsh who has done okay since he's arrived (again we're going to get the endless posts about Porter but I know as much as anyone else, what's the point of going on about it endlessly?), Tiatto who everyone seems to have totally forgotten played extremely well against Leeds and Palace, Weso who was immense on Tuesday night and is roundly worshipped and Stearman who again was brilliant on Tuesday night and looks one of our few goalscoring threats.

A LOT of people on here have wanted Tiatto and Weso in central midfield over the past couple of weeks, especially with Williams out injured. And that's as a first-choice central midfield, regardless of the injuries we've got. I think you have to put their anonymous displays down to tiredness and lack of match fitness. We know they can do better.

Kisnorbo is probably the best defender I have ever seen play for Leicester. Like Walsh and Elliott but with pace. Especially considering the quality of players Walsh and Elliott had in front of them and alongside them. At times yesterday (and a lot of times in the past) Kisnorbo seemed to look around him before the ball was delivered into our box and think "right, this one's mine" and just get it out at all costs. Makes McCarthy look like a poor player (one day more than a handful of Leicester fans will realise his last-ditch clearances are only necessary because of his lack of pace and inability to read the game).

One other special mention - got to be Hume again. He hasn't looked especially effective in the last three games in my opinion - I think people were building him up to be some sort of goal machine after his strikes against Southampton and Leeds, and he clearly isn't. But 100% heart. He looks like he'd die on the pitch for us - and looked close to it yesterday. I'd be tempted to rest him on Tuesday but I don't think we can afford to. Hammond's got the pace and Fryatt's got the skill but Hume's got both in abundance and I just love watching him in a Leicester City shirt.

There will always be things to complain about and things which could be done better but in Logan, Johansson, Kisnorbo, Stearman, Wesolowski, Hume and Hammond we've got a solid spine of players who would put their bodies on the line for the cause. Sometimes you have to sit back and be thankful for that when it could be so much worse.

I thought Kisnorbo and McAuley were the only outfield players in Leicester shirts who looked 100% fit yesterday. I suppose Elvis as well but he looked fairly dire (lack of support... he wasn't even looking for it).

The criticism on various threads is ill-deserved. The majority of our players were either knackered from Tuesday or not match-fit. And there was no-one else. God knows what's going on with Porter but I think at times in the second half Stearman won so many balls in the air playing in the middle of the park that it made you think twice about playing two from Tiatto, Weso and Porter together. Certainly Tiatto and Weso were both anonymous but I don't think they were anywhere near match-fit. Weso in particular looked completely knackered. We need players back so that he doesn't have to play when he's not 100% because he will keep getting these niggly injuries and it will really harm his development.

I find it hard to believe some of the criticism of our midfield selection yesterday. At one stage I pointed out that only one of them was playing in their favoured position (Welsh, with a left winger and a right back in central midfield and a right-back on the right wing) but I don't blame Kelly for that. You could tell from the lack of central midfield options on our bench that Kelly would be struggling to name a decent midfield. As it was, we got Welsh who has done okay since he's arrived (again we're going to get the endless posts about Porter but I know as much as anyone else, what's the point of going on about it endlessly?), Tiatto who everyone seems to have totally forgotten played extremely well against Leeds and Palace, Weso who was immense on Tuesday night and is roundly worshipped and Stearman who again was brilliant on Tuesday night and looks one of our few goalscoring threats.

A LOT of people on here have wanted Tiatto and Weso in central midfield over the past couple of weeks, especially with Williams out injured. And that's as a first-choice central midfield, regardless of the injuries we've got. I think you have to put their anonymous displays down to tiredness and lack of match fitness. We know they can do better.

Kisnorbo is probably the best defender I have ever seen play for Leicester. Like Walsh and Elliott but with pace. Especially considering the quality of players Walsh and Elliott had in front of them and alongside them. At times yesterday (and a lot of times in the past) Kisnorbo seemed to look around him before the ball was delivered into our box and think "right, this one's mine" and just get it out at all costs. Makes McCarthy look like a poor player (one day more than a handful of Leicester fans will realise his last-ditch clearances are only necessary because of his lack of pace and inability to read the game).

One other special mention - got to be Hume again. He hasn't looked especially effective in the last three games in my opinion - I think people were building him up to be some sort of goal machine after his strikes against Southampton and Leeds, and he clearly isn't. But 100% heart. He looks like he'd die on the pitch for us - and looked close to it yesterday. I'd be tempted to rest him on Tuesday but I don't think we can afford to. Hammond's got the pace and Fryatt's got the skill but Hume's got both in abundance and I just love watching him in a Leicester City shirt.

There will always be things to complain about and things which could be done better but in Logan, Johansson, Kisnorbo, Stearman, Wesolowski, Hume and Hammond we've got a solid spine of players who would put their bodies on the line for the cause. Sometimes you have to sit back and be thankful for that when it could be so much worse.

Lots of good and valid points but do you really think it wa all down to tiredness?

I'm not so sure.

In the first 15 minutes when we dominated and scored there was lots of close surrport around the pitch.

When we scored the priority seemed to be not conceding rather than continuing to dominate the game.

Consequently the close support, the midfield desperate to back the strikers, disappeared.

Yes, it was only towards the end we really got forced back, but from 15 minutes to 75 we seemed to be making plenty of effort but not seeking to support in numbers.

In other words Kelly thought he couild play out a 1-0 which was never going to happen as QPR's other good chances demonstrated.

Someone said QPR were dire but I disagree. Their centre-back from Chelsea, Mancienne, was terrific they had a left-winger who got the ball in very early and some big, strong, attackers who hit the box in numbers at times.

We scored a priceless goal but our only hope of staying in front was to retain possession and to keep attacking an indifferent defence.

We didn't do the former very well at all and our diminishing support (possibly due to tiredness but equally likely to have been down to cautious what-we-have-we-hold tactics) meant we failed in those two vital taks and were eventually lucky to escape with a point.

So, yes, it could have been worse, especially when we lost a man and I understand the lack of adventure during that spell. But if you're going to reach the top six you cannot sit back. You have to stay positive. We should have maintained the pressure after our goal but we did exactly as we did at Sheffield Wednesday last season when we actually conjured up defeat out of victory.

I felt it was fatigue. Practically the whole team looked sluggish. Some of them were knackered from going full-pelt for 120 minutes against a Premiership team (NEJ, Stearman, Weso, Hume) and some of them haven't played that much since injury and were expected to complete a full 90 (Kenton, Tiatto and to a lesser extent McCarthy and Fryatt coming on and being asked to play important roles).

The worrying thing is that there's a smaller gap timewise between QPR and Stoke than there was between Villa and QPR.

I felt it was fatigue. Practically the whole team looked sluggish. Some of them were knackered from going full-pelt for 120 minutes against a Premiership team (NEJ, Stearman, Weso, Hume) and some of them haven't played that much since injury and were expected to complete a full 90 (Kenton, Tiatto and to a lesser extent McCarthy and Fryatt coming on and being asked to play important roles).

The worrying thing is that there's a smaller gap timewise between QPR and Stoke than there was between Villa and QPR.

Please don't think I'm discounting what you say cos I'm not. I think it applied to Hammond as well, maybe even Welsh cos he's not previously had much football this season.

But that further highlights, once again, the folloy of not having a properly active Reserves side in the Pontins League.

With Stoke winning 5-0 and having some quality players to back an aggressively attacking outlook these days, we are going to be right up against it Tuesday. Not least because they have players who will keep the ball and will ask varied questions.

Dare we challenge them in attack?. Or will it be another "hard-to-beat" effort which might also read "hard-to-win"?

Hard-to-beat cos it's hard to get the ball is what I like rather than hard-to-beat just because we'll chase the opposoition everywhere.

I want them chasing us really, cos if we did keep the ball better, or course, we wouldn't get nearly so tired but that means an entire team of square pegs in square holes with no-one in an unfamiliar position and no-one classed as a "can't do".

Except Kisnorbo. He can't pass and I wonder if he ever will. But he's an absolutely brilliant and irreplaceable defender. There's always the exception, I guess.

yep but around 30 min of play less as well yesterday. plus plus weso, stearman, (fryatt) etc unless injured should have match sharpness etc being back from a good spell on the bench or less so means a good start is ensured....

think fryatt has to play next game as hammond-hume combination may have become predictable...

and get porter in....have a feeling the illness thing is tosh...unless he is immunodeficient...wonder if welsh on the right is any good....tiatto on the left on weso-porter combination in the middle....

Logan 8 - Some good saves

Kenton 6 - Couldn't stop cook and let him get the ball in at EVERY opportunity

NEJ 6 - Won a couple of headers but very quiet

Kisnorbo 9* - Good header and very solid

McAuley 6 - Was doing well until sent off

Welsh 4 - Didn't do anything, he prefers to run alongside defenders rather than attempting to beat them

Tiatto 5 - Good ball in, didn't really do anything

Wesolowski 6 - Won a fair amount of tackles but quiet also

Stearman 6 - Same as Weso

Hume 7 - Kept the ball well, looked dangerous in some spells

Hammond 5 - Had 1 decent effort saved, was quiet and didn't do much

--------------

McCarthy 6 - Did what he had to do

Fryatt 6 - Missed a great chance, but held the ball up well

Maybury 6 - Didn't really do much wrong, needs to concentrate more though.

All in all, a very defensive day from City, we looked unfit and tired from the Villa game IMO.

logan - 7 - a couple of good saves

Kenton - 5 - got skined time and again by the left winger - very poor

Kisnorbo - 8 quick and strong if he idn't hoof it out of denfese all the time he would be premiership class

McAuly - 8 - looked very comfortable and can actually head the ball

Nissa 7 - quiet but effective

welsh 4 - very poor don't think he put a single cross in

Tiatto - 5 - only ever passed backwards

stearman 5 - did okay but isn't a central midfielder

weso - 4 - didn't really notice him being there in the first half

Hume - 8 - runs his heart out and has great technique

Hammond - 6 - hard to judge as he had no support

Mayberry - 5 - i used to rate him but he was rubbish

Fryatt 5 - didn't look at all fit

McCarthy - 7 - solid

Our midfield went AWOL yesterday, very worrying

logan - 8 - First time I've seen him. Looks pretty solid.

Kenton - 5 - Simply not at the races today. Not sure he's 100% fit yet. Tried hard but their winger had the beating of him requiring others to cover and be pulled out of position themselves.

Kisnorbo - 9 - Extremely hungry. Won almost everything in the air. Good interceptions. Good goal. A huge huge player for us.

McAuley - 6 - Decent enough. Occasionally caught out through drifting away from those he should have been marking but generally sound.

Nissa - 8 - I actually thought this was a very good performance from Nissa. They got the overlap a few times and he dealt with it very well.

Welsh - 2 - Very low mark due to not looking interested. Perhaps just my perception but spent too much time coming in field looking for the ball and immediately giving it away when he got it. Extremely lightweight in the tackle too. Left full back exposed far too often which Nissa dealt with well.

Tiatto - 6 - Keen and boistrous. Hustled and bustled. Effective without ever threatening to make a decisive contribution.

Stearman - 6 - As above with Tiatto. Looked a little jaded as the game went on. Sometimes looked like he didn't know where he needed to be. Suffered a bit when Weso was replaced.

Weso - 7 - Competitive and competent before a shocking challenge which obviously either physically or mentally affected him. Didn't seem 100% interested after that. Perhaps injured.

Hume - 10 - Everything but a goal today. I felt the officials were harsh on him. Due to Hammond's complete lack of interest and his refusal to find space or want the ball, Hume often had 2 or 3 on him and still kept it, drawing a foul. Ref and lino harsh on him and I thought he was faultless throughout. Absolutely what we need to see from him. May as well have been up front on his own.

Hammond - 0 - If you're as technically limited as Hammond is YOU MUST WORK HARD.. he had to be busy and trouble the defenders with his fitness and pace. He sulked for the whole game. He did nothing. Never held the ball up, never laid it off, was never looking for the ball. A half-fit Fryatt did more in 10 minutes or so than he did all game. Pathetic.

Maybury - 6 - Think other comments were a bit harsh. He did okay..

Fryatt - 5 - Not fit but certainly showed willing and is ALWAYS in the right place. Should have scored towards the end though.

McCarthy - 6 - As with Maybury. Did what was needed to close the game out.

Overall I thought our defence was generally sound, with Kisnorbo emerging as a real hero and a leader back there. He and McAuley seem to have a decent understanding. Our full backs were left exposed by some, at times, indifferent wing-play and NEJ dealt with this better than DK.

Midfield - lacked a bit of bite. Weso and Stearman looked less than 100% and although hungry and competitive often looked a yard off the pace. Both seemed to pick up slight knocks too. Welsh was rubbish. Tiatto did what was needed but nothing more.

Forwards - what a contrast. Hume was busy, hungry, skilfull and direct.. Hammond wasted possession everytime he got it, never looked up, never used his pace, didn't look interested. He hasn't won me over at all.

Overall - Against a physical side, we coped okay and I think can be fairly satisfied with a point. I personally would love to see a match fit Hume and Fryatt partnership again.

Yes, we need Kenton and Fryatt fully fit for that one. It's certainly a worry if Weso misses it as we are still looking thin on the ground...

Logan 8- Saved pretty much everythin that came his way

Kenton 6- I think he was caught out too many times by Lee Cook on the left. However I was very impressed with Cook on the day

Kisnorbo-ooahho 10- Have to give him that really. Didn't put a foot wrong all game

McAuley 6/7- Tough one because although he was solid during the match when he was on the pitch, he got sent off. It would have gone in anyway if he hadn't handballed it.

Nissa 7/8- Solid

Stearman 6- Let's be fair, he's not a winger. Did better when he moved inside.

Weso 6- Good when he was on the pitch

Tiatto 6- Tried to do too much and was caught out a couple of times. Stupid Tiatto-esque tackles flying in sometimes.

Welsh 2- Just for playing in both halves. Absolutely appalling in my opinion.

Hume 6/7- Worked hard as usual but just didn't get the service

Hammond 4- To be fair, as with Hume he lacked the service but at the same time, he just didn't look arsed.

Strawberry beer in Covent Garden after the game: 8 - tasted great but £5.20 a pint!! Bloody London!!

we found a trendy wetherspoons right outside baker street tube station , £1.80 a pint bargain :thumbup:

yep but around 30 min of play less as well yesterday. plus plus weso, stearman, (fryatt) etc unless injured should have match sharpness etc being back from a good spell on the bench or less so means a good start is ensured....

think fryatt has to play next game as hammond-hume combination may have become predictable...

and get porter in....have a feeling the illness thing is tosh...unless he is immunodeficient...wonder if welsh on the right is any good....tiatto on the left on weso-porter combination in the middle....

Just out of curiosity how could you justify the return of Fryatt after that performance and after our seventh League game without defeat? Fryatt had one chance - probably the simplest of the season apart from one Hughes missed and he didn't even make good contact from six yards.

Hammond made some super runs, got into some super positions and the people behind him couldn't pass a ball 25 yards into the massive gaps he was waiting to run into. Frankly I don't know how Hammond kept his temper cos if I'd been him I'd have been pissed off big time.

Just out of curiosity how could you justify the return of Fryatt after that performance and after our seventh League game without defeat? Fryatt had one chance - probably the simplest of the season apart from one Hughes missed and he didn't even make good contact from six yards.

Hammond made some super runs, got into some super positions and the people behind him couldn't pass a ball 25 yards into the massive gaps he was waiting to run into. Frankly I don't know how Hammond kept his temper cos if I'd been him I'd have been pissed off big time.

Yeah cos Elvis would have powered that chance into the top corner...

...of the universe.

Yeah cos Elvis would have powered that chance into the top corner...

...of the universe.

You just want to believe that cos, even though he's had a lousy season, you'd rather have Fryatt in than the bloke whose presence, as much as anyones, has coincided with our improved results.

In my programme Hammond's scored twice as many goals as Fryatt - and from fewer games. And, whatever he did I don't think Hammond would have tapped that chance gently into the keeper's arms.

But either way it wasn't Hammond's chance it was Fryatt's and however much you rate him, Fryattt, not Hammond, cocked it up.

But seeing you made the point, yes, I believe Hammond would have whacked it in. And the goalkeeper would have been carried off if he'd been daft enough to get in the way.

You just want to believe that cos, even though he's had a lousy season, you'd rather have Fryatt in than the bloke whose presence, as much as anyones, has coincided with our improved results.

In my programme Hammond's scored twice as many goals as Fryatt - and from fewer games. And, whatever he did I don't think Hammond would have tapped that chance gently into the keeper's arms.

But either way it wasn't Hammond's chance it was Fryatt's and however much you rate him, Fryattt, not Hammond, cocked it up.

But seeing you made the point, yes, I believe Hammond would have whacked it in. And the goalkeeper would have been carried off if he'd been daft enough to get in the way.

nope you re right...thing is are we to give fryatt a chance in this setup or change it to fit around it or just leave him out...Honestly the team still isnt performing even though a number of better players are in the team now than at the start of it.

becuase for god's sake kelly must not revert to johnson. i d only go for

logan

stearman and the rest of defence

porter-williams-weso-tiatto with welsh and gradel and hughes waiting to fill in. putting the uninterested crap back in sucks...

:laugh: Fair enough.

Twice as many goals... So that'll be two instead of one then?

I'm not even going to compare Fryatt and Hammond's goalscoring records. It would be embarrassing for Elvis.

Archived