Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
escape2victory

Kenton - overrated ?

In my opinion I think he is very overrated. I think his best game for us was the first game of the season against Luton and that was as centre back. He seems slow and and lacking in energy recently. Doesnt get forward well, tho that may be a tactical decision and I havnt seen him put a decent ball in the box. If i was Maybury I would be a bit pissed off cuz i think Maybury is a better right back, but has been given a bad name because of some poor performances playing out of position (left back, right mid)

If Stearman and Sheehan both get into an XI at some point, our central defenders are going to look like the walking dead in comparison. :ph34r:

He's a sound enough defender, he could do more in attack but it's not that important as really he's supposed to be a squad player - cover for RB, CB and LB positions when needed. I don't think it was RK's intention to play him at RB - that's Stearman's position. ;)

Good defender, good squad member. Valuable. ;)

If Stearman and Sheehan both get into an XI at some point, our central defenders are going to look like the walking dead in comparison. :ph34r:

He's a sound enough defender, he could do more in attack but it's not that important as really he's supposed to be a squad player - cover for RB, CB and LB positions when needed. I don't think it was RK's intention to play him at RB - that's Stearman's position. ;)

Two attacking full-backs! Are you expecting Christmas early?. :D:D:D

In my opinion I think he is very overrated. I think his best game for us was the first game of the season against Luton and that was as centre back. He seems slow and and lacking in energy recently. Doesnt get forward well, tho that may be a tactical decision and I havnt seen him put a decent ball in the box. If i was Maybury I would be a bit pissed off cuz i think Maybury is a better right back, but has been given a bad name because of some poor performances playing out of position (left back, right mid)

I agree

Generally, I like him. I'd say he's probably our quickest defender. :blink: Not quite sure who in our backline is supposed to make him look slow. Couple of times lately he's looked like he can't be arsed though. Wouldn't have him in my first XI at the moment.

He's about on par with Kisnorbo for pace. Both fairly quick.

I think Kenton is decent at this level. Much better than Maybury because let's face it, Alan doesn't want to be here and hasn't put in anywhere near as much effort as he is capable of. Plus Maybury is slow and with pace being a rareity in our team, it's another reason why Maybury shouldn't play.

Kenton is a useful utility player, but I prefer Stearman at right back to him.

Don't think its going to happen again hes had his chance. I think kenton has been fairly good, a decent singing for us, though when he plays full back he can't cross at all.

Disagree.

Yeah with you but. Kenton is a good player excellent for competition but he is worse than mcauley and kisnorbo and stearman and nisse. Those are the ones that should play defence in irrelevant order

Two attacking full-backs! Are you expecting Christmas early?. :D:D:D

I wrote to Santa and everything... that jolly fat rhombus doesn't usually listen, though, so I'm not getting my hopes up just yet. :ph34r:

:thumbup:

Don't think its going to happen again hes had his chance. I think kenton has been fairly good, a decent singing for us, though when he plays full back he can't cross at all.

I didn't say it would, but it is a possibility. Hence the 'if'. ;)

This isn't a discussion about the merits of Sheehan, though. Good job really, we've seen enough of them over past months. ;)

i'd be disappointed if i was maybury or stearman but cant say kenton has done worse as a right back.

he was caught short for the 2nd goal on saturday but generally he is steady and can play across the back four.

personally i'd like to see maybury and stearman back on the right side

I think he is one of our best players. Him and McCarthy were outstanding against stoke against two big powerful strikers. I think those two centre bak, sterman right back and nils left back is our best back four.

I forgot about kisnorbo actually!!

I thought it wasn't Kenton's best game against stoke but he was up against some tall strikers and he is only a little fella. I personally think McCauley and kisnorbo are our best cbs at the moment

Not overrated at all. He's a useful player that can play across the backline. I think his best position is centreback, and he's always performed well there in his 2 spells with us.

The comments about him being slow are simply laughable - as Fez and Ric have mentioned, he's probably our quickest defender.

However, he doesn't offer us a great deal going forward, but is certainly the most solid right back we have. Maybury and Stearman haven't performed well for a good while and don't deserve to be in the starting XI.

If anyone's overrated, it's Stearman.

Not overrated at all. He's a useful player that can play across the backline. I think his best position is centreback, and he's always performed well there in his 2 spells with us.

The comments about him being slow are simply laughable - as Fez and Ric have mentioned, he's probably our quickest defender.

However, he doesn't offer us a great deal going forward, but is certainly the most solid right back we have. Maybury and Stearman haven't performed well for a good while and don't deserve to be in the starting XI.

If anyone's overrated, it's Stearman.

Ummmmmm....

Kenton versus Stearman's not the easiest comparison.

Kisnorbo, McAuley and Nils aren't quick either so you're not saying too much mentioning "quickest".

Stearman had a bad start to the season but has scored three goals this season and made several vital goalline clearances, quite apart from continually supporting our attacks. If Kenton ever tried to support our attacks he'd soon be left for dead at the back in my view but he won't so that's hypothetical.

It really boils down to attacking defender or simply a defender on the right, not that I think either Kenton or Stearman are especially solid as right-backs sometimes.

Centre-back Kenton's fine but he's not going to game a game there, is he?

Kisnorbo, McAuley and Nils aren't quick either so you're not saying too much mentioning "quickest".

Given that Kisnorbo is significantly quicker than McAuley and Skills, I would say that comment has some weight to it.

Stearman had a bad start to the season but has scored three goals this season and made several vital goalline clearances, quite apart from continually supporting our attacks. If Kenton ever tried to support our attacks he'd soon be left for dead at the back in my view but he won't so that's hypothetical.

It really boils down to attacking defender or simply a defender on the right, not that I think either Kenton or Stearman are especially solid as right-backs sometimes.

Centre-back Kenton's fine but he's not going to game a game there, is he?

Kenton is certainly a lot more solid than Stearman at right back, and gives the back four more assurance. Your constant bias towards youth always blinkers your view, so I tend to take a lot of what you say with a pinch of salt.

As for going forward, I can't really remember Stearman actually contributing much down the right this season, apart from pumping long balls down the line that lead to nothing. Rarely does he go past players and put a good ball in.

Based on that, Kenton offers us more. I'd rather have someone who can defend and have good pace to cover the centrebacks (As full backs should do) than someone who lacks strength and regularly gets caught out.

Archived