Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
davieG

Apprentice trophy up for grabs

From Sky

I'm not sure what the criteria is - but do we?

Talented youngsters in the Championship have another prize to play for with the announcement that the Wickes Young Apprentice Trophy will be up for grabs for a second consecutive year.

The trophy is awarded to the best young apprentice in the Championship.

The winner will receive £5,000 towards his club's youth development programme. Second and third-placed participants will receive £3,000 and £2,000 respectively.

The winning player will be selected by a panel of judges put together by Wickes and the Football League, including former Republic of Ireland international Andy Townsend.

Last year's winner was Derby County’s Lewin Nyatanga, who made more than 24 appearances for the Rams whilst also becoming Wales’ youngest full international.

The shortlist of the final five players will be announced at the end of January 2007.

Wickes' commercial director Gary West says: “The Wickes Young Apprentice Trophy gives young players a platform to showcase their talent and after the success of last year’s award, I am looking forward to seeing the best young players that the championship has to offer.”

I was surprised Stearman didn't get close to it last season, he had a great first full season. This season he's struggled to be as consistent as last season (often the case for youngsters). Perhaps Conrad Logan might have a chance? Wesolowski hasn't been playing enough to be a proper contender.

Bale or Barnes will run away with this one I think...

I don't think either should, unless they continue their good form.

Bale had 5 or 6 great games at the start of the season and then has gone right off the boil.

Barnes couldn't get a game for Derby until the past month or so, so again you'd hope they'd need to show some consistency to get it.

Both of them are very good prospects however.

I don't think either should, unless they continue their good form.

Bale had 5 or 6 great games at the start of the season and then has gone right off the boil.

Barnes couldn't get a game for Derby until the past month or so, so again you'd hope they'd need to show some consistency to get it.

Both of them are very good prospects however.

People don't care about logic Ric, they care about stinging Left foot drives from 25-30 yards.

People don't care about logic Ric, they care about stinging Left foot drives from 25-30 yards.

Exactly right, if someone like james wesolowski plays well and does his job he isn't really going to get noticed by the media. I would like to see a player like Stearman though.

Can't see any of ours getting it. They don't get a consistent run in the side. I think Barnes might get it just because when he does play, he plays well usually.

Logan does.

Stearman does.

Wesolowski does - when fit.

The rest aren't good enough - yet. Porter excluded possibly.

Logan does.

Stearman does.

Wesolowski does - when fit.

The rest aren't good enough - yet. Porter excluded possibly.

Weso hasn't played enough though and Stearman should have got it last year, presumably he's played too many games before now to be considered above the likes of Bale and Barnes. If Logan keeps up his form he'll be our best bet.

Weso hasn't played enough though and Stearman should have got it last year, presumably he's played too many games before now to be considered above the likes of Bale and Barnes. If Logan keeps up his form he'll be our best bet.

Agreed. I was just responding to the quote that our youngsters aren't played regularly. But those 3 are usually first choice when fit.

Yep. :thumbup: I worry that Weso will be a Lee Morris. :ph34r:

I don't, not just yet.

It is a concern about these knocks he picks up, but at least they aren't serious (touch wood). Last season was horrible for him and it must be causing these annoying small leg injuries. If it continues for the rest of this season, you'd hope some investigating would be done.

I still think he's on course to have a very successful footballing career.

I don't, not just yet.

It is a concern about these knocks he picks up, but at least they aren't serious (touch wood). Last season was horrible for him and it must be causing these annoying small leg injuries. If it continues for the rest of this season, you'd hope some investigating would be done.

I still think he's on course to have a very successful footballing career.

Medically speaking, this year he should ideally play 10 games or more without any serious injuries. Knocks hardly matter unless they recurr in the same area, then muscle may lose some of its power. The real test will be come january if he s fit he should be in superb form...

Williams and Weso will get out of this stupid situation

Archived