Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Fox in a Box

in the kop?

http://www.thebluearmy.co.uk/details.asp?b...6269754|p|536|0

You might have thought the pre-match news that Milan Mandaric's bid had been given the green light by Leicester City's shareholders would have made for a decent atmosphere at the Preston game last Saturday, but it was flat even by today's muted standards.

One thread on the Fox Fanzine messageboard picked up on this:

"I had to relocate from my usual seat and sat right beside the Kop, and I couldn't believe how quiet it was. I used to think it was bad acoustics that meant I couldn't hear them from the halfway line, but now I realise there's no-one singing apart from a couple of lads on the back row. Where are the Kop leaders of the '70s?"

"I sit in the middle of the Kop and it is as if singing is making a scene. It seems that the Kop is now just happy to clap along to that tune which claims to be the Post Horn Gallop and to 'Rob Kelly's Blue & White Army'. Where has my Leicester gone?"

"All-seater grounds started to kill all that stuff off. New grounds then split up people who used to sing together. It's all a bit of a parody of the past now, isn't it?"

There are a few hardy souls on the very back row of the Kop who stand up and try and get things going, but they seem to have been assigned their own personal steward, and trying to get a song out of their fellow Koppites is like getting blood out of a stone.

From where I sit, at the Kop end of the East Stand, it is also impossible to hear anything from that other outpost of singers, in L1 next to the away fans.

It may be something to do with acoustics, but it is more likely that the average football fan has changed in the last 20 years (he's certainly older) and is less keen on singing, chanting, leaping about and making an exhibition of himself.

As a Koppite in the '70s and '80s - Pen Two until they shut it in 1982 and we all had to move to Pen Three - I will never forget that moment after you had paid at the turnstile and made your way up the back steps.

If there was a song in full flow (and there usually was) the noise was deafening and the hairs on the back of your neck would be on end by the time the pitch came into view.

Talk about acoustics! The underside of the Double Decker hung just above the Kop terraces, providing a perfect sounding board and a huge repertoire of songs were bounced off it over the decades.

Along with the singing and leaping around, there was the challenge of staying on your feet during crowd surges and making sure it wasn't your stomach that got squashed against the crush barrier in the pure chaos that followed a goal.

You would travel home on the bus exhausted, with your shoes and trousers covered in dust, always bearing at least one perfect Doc Martin footprint.

But let us not fall into the trap of assuming that, in the Good Old Days, a constant wall of sound would wash over Filbert Street from the Kop, or that the new library atmosphere is all the fault of seats and new grounds and new fans.

Here is an extract from The Fox No.38, December 1993, when the Kop was still terracing:

"Over the last few months it has become noticeable that the Kop seems to have fallen a bit flat where atmosphere is concerned . . . don't know why pens Two and Three should have fallen silent for large chunks of every game . . . the repertoire of songs passed down the generations also seems to be fading away . . ."

Next time someone near you starts a song in the Kop, don't stare straight ahead as though the nutter on the bus has offered you one of his socks. Join in, you might like it.

SHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

:yawn::yawn::yawn:

We've proved it can be done, the Villa match was unbelieveable in the Kop.

Team playing and battling well = atmosphere.

Team serving up the usual dross = :yawn:

Except in F1 :whistle::P

Nah you're right though, we can do it if the team are prepared to give their all in the game. Which more often than not, they don't. The crowd feeds off the energy of the team, and the same is true vice-versa. Lazy bastards not caring whether they score, win, lose or draw pisses the crowd off and makes them sit back and not cheer them on, or in many cases, start leaving the ground.

Ive been banging on about this for ages, the club wont listen they wont move the "Kop" to next to the away fans, they dont want to make it unresearved seating regardless of which end it is.

Eventually noises will come out of the club about atmosphere, but they havnt done a thing to help the old kopites create a Main SINGING end since we moved into the Walkers....Kopites feel alienated, the sit down i cant see brigade hold the power down there and the atmosphere will continue to suffer because of it

You know you're in trouble when John Barnes has to sum something up for you.

Youve got to hold and give

But do it at the right time

You can be slow or fast

But you must get to the line

Theyll always hit you and hurt you

Defend and attack

Theres only one way to beat them

Get round the back

Catch me if you can

Cos Im the england man

And what youre looking at

Is the master plan

We aint no hooligans

This aint a football song

Three lions on my chest

I know we cant go wrong

Youve got to hold and give

But do it at the right time

You can be slow or fast

But you must get to the line

Theyll always hit you and hurt you

Defend and attack

Theres only one way to beat them

Get round the back

Catch me if you can

Cos Im the england man

And what youre looking at

Is the master plan

We aint no hooligans

This aint a football song

Three lions on my chest

I know we cant go wrong

Marry me.

good idea. why hasn't this been done before? it doesn't sound to difficult.

i personally dont have the time but im sure somebody has time to hand out a few flyers, make a quick website. inform the club of what they intend to do to improve atmosphere and maybe they can release a statement on details of a meeting?

who'd be happy to move. me aslong as its in the kop.

how full is L1? what about the people who sit in L1, where do they go? :unsure:

I have no idea really. You would need to ask the ticket office. I cant imagine it being full as quite a few lads who have season tickets in the kop usually venture over.

i personally dont have the time but im sure somebody has time to hand out a few flyers, make a quick website. inform the club of what they intend to do to improve atmosphere and maybe they can release a statement on details of a meeting?

who'd be happy to move. me aslong as its in the kop.

You stole my idea's <_< :P

if anyone goes to Club Meetings they should inform them of setting something like this up.

Would deffo work

I dont have the time to do it atm.

http://www.thebluearmy.co.uk/details.asp?b...6269754|p|536|0

You might have thought the pre-match news that Milan Mandaric's bid had been given the green light by Leicester City's shareholders would have made for a decent atmosphere at the Preston game last Saturday, but it was flat even by today's muted standards.

One thread on the Fox Fanzine messageboard picked up on this:

"I had to relocate from my usual seat and sat right beside the Kop, and I couldn't believe how quiet it was. I used to think it was bad acoustics that meant I couldn't hear them from the halfway line, but now I realise there's no-one singing apart from a couple of lads on the back row. Where are the Kop leaders of the '70s?"

"I sit in the middle of the Kop and it is as if singing is making a scene. It seems that the Kop is now just happy to clap along to that tune which claims to be the Post Horn Gallop and to 'Rob Kelly's Blue & White Army'. Where has my Leicester gone?"

"All-seater grounds started to kill all that stuff off. New grounds then split up people who used to sing together. It's all a bit of a parody of the past now, isn't it?"

There are a few hardy souls on the very back row of the Kop who stand up and try and get things going, but they seem to have been assigned their own personal steward, and trying to get a song out of their fellow Koppites is like getting blood out of a stone.

From where I sit, at the Kop end of the East Stand, it is also impossible to hear anything from that other outpost of singers, in L1 next to the away fans.

It may be something to do with acoustics, but it is more likely that the average football fan has changed in the last 20 years (he's certainly older) and is less keen on singing, chanting, leaping about and making an exhibition of himself.

As a Koppite in the '70s and '80s - Pen Two until they shut it in 1982 and we all had to move to Pen Three - I will never forget that moment after you had paid at the turnstile and made your way up the back steps.

If there was a song in full flow (and there usually was) the noise was deafening and the hairs on the back of your neck would be on end by the time the pitch came into view.

Talk about acoustics! The underside of the Double Decker hung just above the Kop terraces, providing a perfect sounding board and a huge repertoire of songs were bounced off it over the decades.

Along with the singing and leaping around, there was the challenge of staying on your feet during crowd surges and making sure it wasn't your stomach that got squashed against the crush barrier in the pure chaos that followed a goal.

You would travel home on the bus exhausted, with your shoes and trousers covered in dust, always bearing at least one perfect Doc Martin footprint.

But let us not fall into the trap of assuming that, in the Good Old Days, a constant wall of sound would wash over Filbert Street from the Kop, or that the new library atmosphere is all the fault of seats and new grounds and new fans.

Here is an extract from The Fox No.38, December 1993, when the Kop was still terracing:

"Over the last few months it has become noticeable that the Kop seems to have fallen a bit flat where atmosphere is concerned . . . don't know why pens Two and Three should have fallen silent for large chunks of every game . . . the repertoire of songs passed down the generations also seems to be fading away . . ."

Next time someone near you starts a song in the Kop, don't stare straight ahead as though the nutter on the bus has offered you one of his socks. Join in, you might like it.

SHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

:yawn::yawn::yawn:

Good post. I recently started sitting in the South Stand cos I was sick of the silence of the teacher-types in the West Stand and was looking forward to a proper atmosphere.

An so it was against Villa, of course, which showed that noise could still be made.

But against Preston, after the Wednesday, game it was as if everyone heard the team selection and knew what we we in for. There was almost an atmosphere of resignation.

The fans need some winding up. MON and Villa doesn't have to be worked on but while we stumble along with our seven defenders and other teams sign up Lee Hendry's and Patrik Berger's and the Lupoli's of this world our fans become increasingly pissed off.

Apart from one or two on Foxestalk who still seem to think we're doing okay in the circumstances and who might be heard doing solos at the Walkers if things don't change soon.

so why doesnt someone create a vocal supporters club and they all get ST in the same area of the kop? (f1 or e1 at the back)

We are quite happy to get involved in this if fans want us to, we are all for improving the atmosphere & putting forward ideas to achieve this to the club.

L1 is the best place for atmosphere atm but i'd certainly love to see the kop loud and vocal again! heard one song against preston and most of the time the chants drift round to L1 and we carry them on like at villa, but whenever we in L1 start songs it is Only L1 who sing nobody in k/J carry it round at all :(

L1 is the best place for atmosphere atm but i'd certainly love to see the kop loud and vocal again! heard one song against preston and most of the time the chants drift round to L1 and we carry them on like at villa, but whenever we in L1 start songs it is Only L1 who sing nobody in k/J carry it round at all :(

Its because most of them arnt interested in chanting they merely spectate.

Why dont all the people in the kop that want to sing move to L1 ...problem solved :rolleyes:

I tried it for one game and found the whole experience totally embarrassing. The perception I got and this has been confirmed by away fan's comments is that it's full of 14 year olds dressed in Burbury giving a two finger salute and singing you're a small town in "xxxxxxxxxx".

Call me an old git if you like but that's not for me. I'll stick with the Kop at least they look like footy fans even if it takes some decent footy to get them going.

Ducks behind wall awaiting protests from L1ers

I tried it for one game and found the whole experience totally embarrassing. The perception I got and this has been confirmed by away fan's comments is that it's full of 14 year olds dressed in Burbury giving a two finger salute and singing you're a small town in "xxxxxxxxxx".

Call me an old git if you like but that's not for me. I'll stick with the Kop at least they look like footy fans even if it takes some decent footy to get them going.

Ducks behind wall awaiting protests from L1ers

I'm sorry, but that's like me saying the Kop is full of kids that go and spit at other Leicester City supporters just because it has been reported on here by people sitting in the Kop at one game. Not everyone in L1 is a 14 year old dressed like a chav.

Can you describe what a "footy fan" looks like to me?

Archived